why i dont give to charity. | Page 2 | Vital Football

why i dont give to charity.

We have a small selection of charities we give to! I know there has to be a part in admin. It's how it works. I don't generally sway from the charities we give too. I have learnt how to say no to those waving boxes for money too.

1 thing I have started doing this year after reading an article about how much food an average family throws out in a year, is on average a months worth of shopping. Now I don't think we are anywhere near it, however I do think about food now more.

If we do chuck any out, I put in a tin what it would have cost me. That money will go to an overseas charity at the end of the year. I will probably split it with Christian Aid, Missionary projects abroad.

Aid to Bongo Bongo Land means big contracts in return for big business in said Bongo Land. Instead of being annoyed at UK taxpayers money being given to Bongo Bongo Land we should be more annoyed about taxpayers money being used to establish contracts in Bongo Bongo Land which bring massive profits to companies that pay fuck all tax back into the system of this place.

(And, in this sense, I would not be surprised at all if many UKIP members are benefitting financially from UK aid to Bongo Bongo Land)

James06 - 7/8/2013 21:18

I give what I can to charities knowing that too much of my donation goes on salaries and advertising. I give whatever I can to charity shops knowing that that staff will have first dibs on my stuff and then again what is raised goes mostly on salaries and advertising. I give as much blood as I can knowing that most of it will likely be thrown away or used for tests and experiments rather than saving people's lives.

but there is a chance that it could be my quid or my blood that make a difference, and it makes me feel better for doing it.

I give blood too. I like the milkshakes they give you afterwards...

Donating non-perishables such as canned food, etc. when there are food drives or giving time to charities is more effective than cash donations in my opinion.

Its the Government job to look after the people who cant look after themselves - by giving to charity you are letting the Government off the hook.

They hope you never realize this and call them on it - so they are happy to see the high earners (which actually is not that high when you look at the numbers) take the heat.

Frankus - 8/8/2013 02:08

James06 - 7/8/2013 21:18

I give what I can to charities knowing that too much of my donation goes on salaries and advertising. I give whatever I can to charity shops knowing that that staff will have first dibs on my stuff and then again what is raised goes mostly on salaries and advertising. I give as much blood as I can knowing that most of it will likely be thrown away or used for tests and experiments rather than saving people's lives.

but there is a chance that it could be my quid or my blood that make a difference, and it makes me feel better for doing it.

I give blood too. I like the milkshakes they give you afterwards...

Donating non-perishables such as canned food, etc. when there are food drives or giving time to charities is more effective than cash donations in my opinion.

Good call Jim. Very true and a good point

Yes, agreed Frankus, and targeting the smaller charities as well. Then it is more direct.

I think it's unrealistic to think that all funds donated go directly into food etc for the people that need it. At the end of the day the donations are given to buy services and products, that is everything from services that directly help the target group, such as transport and food items, to the living expenses of volunteers working in the field to the costs of raising the money in the first place.

I make a point of not giving to charities that ask me via tele-sales, I then know that the first bite of the cherry goes to the person calling me. I priorities people with a collection tin in their hands as I know that it's pretty much always voluntary. I also prioritise people actually doing something for the money rather than just asking for handouts, I feel it's showing some sort of appreciation for the money given, for example, I just ordered a huge bag of kitchen paper from my local ice-hockey club. It's not raising money for the pros but for the youth teams so that they have enough equipment. My local ice hockey team is not big enough for the sponsorship deals that pay for everything, including the kids and I like to thing it's helping the local society, giving kids another option.

All this said, I think that when services can be got from volunteers then they should be, of course all charities have to pay for accountants and the like but traditionally people are willing to give their time (much more precious than money) for a good cause and in my opinion this should be encouraged and this is a great way to actually raise the funds.

Regards the top men/women, it's a difficult question as morally no one should get rich from charity donations. On the other hand, to get the top people you have to pay top money and if employing the top person means that more money is raised and the money raised is used more efficiently then the cost of their wages should be more than offset by the benefits of employing them. The litmus test has to be, does has the charity managed to help more people as a result of the person's employment? If the answer is yes then it is a bitter pill that should be swallowed with a smile on our faces but of not then they should be replaced with someone who will do the job for less.

I only support Acorns and Cancer Research and I refuse to donate any money abroad while our own country needs it, we should not be giving any foreign aid at all as that ends up funding arms and terrorism 99.9% of the time, on the other hand I would gladly donate food and clothing.

Tracksuits only addidas though, and a chikken tikka balti one naan and egg fried rice please, oh and i don't mean to be cheaky dude but can you hurry up cos im aunt marven starvin nere thanks you are the greatest :)

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 8/8/2013 18:18

Nicely summed up, there Ian. You've written almost everything that I would have done, if I wasn't really, really lazy!!!

:35:

There is no way any of them can justify earning more than the prime minister, not unless their salary is performance related and even then only with full visibility for those donating.

I was shocked at some of the figures especially when you bear in mind a lot of these people are already rich, are often figureheads and the people at the coal face are over worked, and either under paid or not paid at all.

Christian Aid shocked me, not sure why but seems an oxymoron to me.

And comic relief can go swivel as well.

WOW Fear oxymoron, luv that word dude, being as unbright as i am that sounds like one posh word to call somebody from now on if someone pizzes me off they get called the ''oxymoron'' lol

I am also for looking after your own first before giving to others, childrens charities, pets air ambulance help for heroes etc all this country based then one day when we are all sorted we can all give to others abroad, but lets get our country straight and sorted first ay.

P.S Fear i still can't send a pm to anybody, i have deleted all my inbox and outbox but its still doesn't give me an option to reply or send a pm?

P.S Forget that post above from me saying i can't send a pm, well low and behold as soon as i wrote this i checked and the reply and pm appeared lol, unreal!

kefkat - 8/8/2013 01:10

We have a small selection of charities we give to! I know there has to be a part in admin. It's how it works. I don't generally sway from the charities we give too. I have learnt how to say no to those waving boxes for money too.

1 thing I have started doing this year after reading an article about how much food an average family throws out in a year, is on average a months worth of shopping. Now I don't think we are anywhere near it, however I do think about food now more.

If we do chuck any out, I put in a tin what it would have cost me. That money will go to an overseas charity at the end of the year. I will probably split it with Christian Aid, Missionary projects abroad.

Just looked properly at the figures they get after seeing JF say about Christian Aid. I am stunned. They are out of it for me now. I will look to missionary projects abroad or maybe sponsor a child.

I know they have to be paid a wage to do a job. you can't expect volunteers to do it at that level however this is beyond.