Why i am against VAR | Vital Football

Why i am against VAR

mick745

Vital Reserves Team
I dont support a Premier League team, in fact i support a relatively obscure team from League 1. You know which. I don't like the Premier League or what it represents.

However, i think the introduction of VAR will be the deathnell for football. In cricket video replays have been an absolute farce. It started off with just a few decisions. Now the first thing that happens is they look to see whether it was a no ball or not, even though the no ball has not been called. This sort of thing will happen in football. Was it offside in the build up, was there a handball three minutes earlier, etc. It will completely spoil any enjoyment.

Also the crucial difference in rugby and cricket is the ball is out of play. What happens if the other team were breaking up field and score. Do they have a goal chalked off?

Dont get me wrong i have no problem with deciding on matters of fact (ball over the line is an example). It is deciding matters of opinion that is the oroblem. Only one person can adjudicate on those and that is the referee. Why have the ref at all? On who's sayso do you go to the video? It cant be on the players' because they always dispute decisions anyway.

Also, what is the obsession with getting every devision correct. How boring is that? What would people talk about?

The other thing is that it would start by just using it for a few decisions but will creep in using it for more and more.

The other thing is why have parachute payments? Another way to protect the elite. They have been relegated for not being good enough, why should they suddenly get an advantage? Yes their incomes have dropped but do what normal people do, if your income is higher for a few years and which may not last, you put a bit of money aside for a time when your income will fall.

I’ve always been for VAR or technology where available for clear line decisions - ie did it go out before a goal was scored, did it cross the line, offside etc. and clear violent conduct missed by the onfield officials - ie a punch, stamp or head butt. For me, VAR isn’t working for judgement decisions like 50/50 handballs - they are too subjective and open to debate as it’s often just the way the ref or those overseeing VAR see it and not based on fact.

The other thing is why have parachute payments? Another way to protect the elite. They have been relegated for not being good enough, why should they suddenly get an advantage? Yes their incomes have dropped but do what normal people do, if your income is higher for a few years and which may not last, you put a bit of money aside for a time when your income will fall.
Few clubs can survive even at the top level due to the eye-watering level of players' wages. That means it's very difficult to put money aside for a rainy day. So, what are the alternatives? Structure contracts that mean the player has to take a drop in wages if the team is relegated or have his contract terminated, perhaps? What if relegation is caused by outside influences, eg the situation at Blackpool?

The real culprit in all this is the FA; it formed the Premier league in order to stop a TV breakaway by the top clubs and oversaw it getting greedier and greedier by the year. It's likely to get worse now as other TV outlets are involved as bidding rights increase and fees escalate. The EPL can almost name its price. Instead of ensuring significant moneys passing down through the lower leagues to grass roots football, League clubs are given crumbs. Had TV money been spread more equitably, maybe players' contracts would not have been so lucrative and parachute payments not so vital. Maybe if the FA had followed the German model, things may have been quite different. Bundesliga clubs paid less than 50% of revenue in players wages, the lowest percentage out of the European leagues. The Bundesliga has the lowest ticket prices and the highest average attendance out of Europe's five major leagues. Clubs rarely play league matches other than on a Saturday or Sunday and yet they still get healthy TV revenues.