Why do you drink (Alcohol)? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Why do you drink (Alcohol)?

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
Used to prefer weed to alcohol ( though knocked it on the head years ago) and because of that Would rarely drink. My capacity for alcohol therefore is really low, so find it hard to get drunk. I'm 14stones and 6ft tall, so average- big in size, but after 2 pints its a struggle to have much more. A pint is enough for that mellow relaxed feeling, the 2nd pint for that giddy/ tiddlyness, everything after that is downhill, and even after 2 pints, unless I drink a pint of water before sleep, wake up the following morning feeling (marginally) rough.

I've always been lucky, I've rarely suffered hangovers, I've had to have really caned it to get one!

Used to be a big drinker when younger but then, you have more time and less worries then!

upthevilla - 9/8/2013 10:29

Used to prefer weed to alcohol ( though knocked it on the head years ago) and because of that Would rarely drink. My capacity for alcohol therefore is really low, so find it hard to get drunk. I'm 14stones and 6ft tall, so average- big in size, but after 2 pints its a struggle to have much more. A pint is enough for that mellow relaxed feeling, the 2nd pint for that giddy/ tiddlyness, everything after that is downhill, and even after 2 pints, unless I drink a pint of water before sleep, wake up the following morning feeling (marginally) rough.

The exact opposite was true with me.

Weed suppresses the puke reflex and so I found that weed allowed me to drink more without the consequences.

I would just like to add that for the habitual heavy drinker, they get so used to feeling rough in the morning that they just take it as normal.

So what you describe as feeling rough is just accepted as normal for drinkers.

I only found this out when I went teetotal when I went on holiday with a non-drinker and couldn't understand why I felt so well.

Stupid, I know, but true.

The Fear - 9/8/2013 10:52

I virtually never drink at home any more, live on my own, think drinking is a social thing so just don't bother. Also, I already feel half drunk due to the brain thing.

I do sometimes get the little bottles of red wine and have a sup but that is more for the health reasons really.

I've become similar Jim, can't really be doing with just one drink when having a meal, unless occasionally I'm in a red wine vibe, so have a large bottle of sparking water to last me.

I do tend to only drink now when I know I can have at least 4 pints.

When you write half drunk, I'm assuming it's the lower half, given the way your legs work.......or rather don't.

well, legs wobbly but I get a lot of dizziness/fatigue which you can feel like when sloshed so ner ner!

:8:

The Fear - 9/8/2013 12:18

well, legs wobbly but I get a lot of dizziness/fatigue which you can feel like when sloshed so ner ner!

:8:

Oh, I just assumed the dizziness was a result of mental exhaustion from counting all your money :5: lol

kefkat - 8/8/2013 20:22

Ratman - 8/8/2013 15:04

I used to be an alcoholic now I mainly drink socially. I occasionally drink at home. On certain occasions I drink to get drunk. I have always been a big drinker since I started at 14 years old.

Ratman you used to be a heavy drinker, not an alcoholic. If you were alcoholic you would not have been able to stop and moderate without help.

So two people can have exactly the same problem, drink the same amount, suffer the same problems in their life through drink, possess the same mental problems and demons, but you're only classed as an alcoholic if you are too weak to do something about it on your own, thank you, I didn't realise that.

I had a friend who lost everything through drink, she lost her husband, she lost her four children, she lost her job, she lost her home, she hid all this from her friends as she lived rough and hit rock bottom, she turned herself around, she got a grip on her life because she chose to, she now has a job and a home and sees her children at weekends, she doesn't drink at all now, no one helped her, she had a target of getting her kids back and that was enough motivation, that gave her the strength.

When we found out the extent of her problem we all thought she was an alcoholic, so did her husband, so did her children, so did her boss, but more than that, so did she, she'll be so happy to find out she wasn't.

Erm is there any need for the sarcasm Jam! Alcoholism is NOT about weakness if you read any of my stuff. It is an illness, a physical allergy, mental obsession and a spiritual and emotional unbalance.

O.K your friend has done it on her own. Few do, very few. They usually go back to it a few years down the line..

I am glad your friend has done it. I want every single person to get well, but they won't.

People doing recovery on there own are behind enemy lines. People get well in communities is the general consensus. There will always be some who find another way however you are friend is 1 of a kind. Well done to her

I think what Jam is saying is one size doesn't fit all and really, without knowing ratty, you can't say if he was or wasn't an alchie!

Was she JF!!!! Exception and rule yes. Maybe in your view I can't, however I have never met an alcohol yet who can moderate and control drink. They always end up back on it, in weeks, years etc, depending how bad they had gotten too as to how soon..

My point though may not have been as clear for all of you guys, is an alcoholic can't moderate. A heavy drinker can. Eventually the person who is alcoholic will pick up again and they will be back if not worse (usually) than when they stopped.

There is much more that defines alcoholism to than just the drink. The drink is a sympton.

To clarify what I said, if you re-read it, I said an alcoholic can't stop and moderate their drinking.

An alcoholic can't drink safely again. Jam friend doesn't drink now. Heavy drinkers can moderate their drinking. Alcoholics can't so the only way an alcoholic can live is sober..

I hope that is clear now

It was clear in the first place.

As was my post, one size does not fit all.

I still wish I could cure my illness by not doing something like drinking or taking drugs but again, this thread is straying into an alcoholic thread rather than what Villan of the North was asking, why people drink.

I think an alcoholic can moderate to a certain extent but cannot stop. Its actually a fast growing culture where more and more people are now dying or getting diagnosed with alcohol related illnesses. It also tends to be higher amongst women than in men.
An alcoholic can give up drink without help, many do and have..Similar to giving up drugs/cigarettes not all will seek help. However if you give up and then start drinking again - thus then calling yourself a heavy drinker, you are basically still an alcoholic.

Alcohol consumption in the UK is actually falling and has been since 2002, although serious cases being treated in hospital are increasing.

Also, Men still drink, on average, twice as much as Women.

The binge drinking myth started to be highlighted by sensationalist media, such as the Daily Mail, in response to 24 hour drinking, but the truth is actually the opposite. We're drinking less each year.

Strange double up the wrong way round, as I edited my first post. It didn't edit properly. Left my first post on and posted my new edited post

Green Tea - 10/8/2013 10:57

I think an alcoholic can moderate to a certain extent but cannot stop. Its actually a fast growing culture where more and more people are now dying or getting diagnosed with alcohol related illnesses. It also tends to be higher amongst women than in men.
An alcoholic can give up drink without help, many do and have..Similar to giving up drugs/cigarettes not all will seek help. However if you give up and then start drinking again - thus then calling yourself a heavy drinker, you are basically still an alcoholic.

Yes an alcoholic can moderate, in 1 sense, because has over the years the amounts they can drink (has the illness progresses) gets smaller because their body is constantly topped up with alcohol as it never truly gets out of their system

kefkat - 10/8/2013 16:29

The Fear - 10/8/2013 10:54

It was clear in the first place.

As was my post, one size does not fit all.

I still wish I could cure my illness by not doing something like drinking or taking drugs but again, this thread is straying into an alcoholic thread rather than what Villan of the North was asking, why people drink.

It was clear to you! The reason I reiterated was I didn't think Jam had read it like that.

There is more than just stopping drinking with an addict. The majority need some intervention even if it is with just counselling. It doesn't cure it stopping drinking. It arrests the illness. Pick up again and the consequences get worse usually very quickly.

Oh JF yes I know what you mean. I totally understand why you say that re your health. It is something that is often said in the fellowship, that we have a choice. People with cancer and so on don't get the choice. I am sure if they could they would happily go to a few meetings a week and have there illness arrested.

I have little time for people in and out of the fellowship. They know there is a solution but refuse to take it. Before recovery they don't know what they don't know. Once they come in well. We call it detachment to be polite

Having other unrelated illness, I do get it. Even if I hadn't, I can understand. Addiction is a complex illness.

Waits for the police jokes! Apt term with us as most have been in trouble with the police at some stage. :79:

Is curled up on the sofa with a class of Coke Cola, ice & lemon, football on, to bring it back to drinks and in my case lack of alcohol in it