Why can’t Paul Cook land a job | Page 7 | Vital Football

Why can’t Paul Cook land a job

Ipswich is a decent club to target for improvement- lots of potential id say. Take them back to the PL and they’d sell out, ourselves we wouldn’t. 40 mill seems a touch high I’ll admit so not convinced it’s an accurate figure and being able to see a breakdown would be interesting. As we ourselves experienced with the HK **** id be concerned how the purchase was financed as will likely now be held against the club.

When I was reading about it the other day it seems that the group buying are basically an investment arm for a US pension fund.
If I had my pension with that fund I'd be a bit concerned about them investing my cash in the financial black holes that are English football clubs.
Just can't see how they'll expect to get their money back or, as they'll be hoping, an increase on their investment - to even start hoping to make a profit within any financial year they'll have to be in the top flight & the outlay to get them there is gonna have to be astronomical as Leeds latest results showed

When I was reading about it the other day it seems that the group buying are basically an investment arm for a US pension fund.
If I had my pension with that fund I'd be a bit concerned about them investing my cash in the financial black holes that are English football clubs.
Just can't see how they'll expect to get their money back or, as they'll be hoping, an increase on their investment - to even start hoping to make a profit within any financial year they'll have to be in the top flight & the outlay to get them there is gonna have to be astronomical as Leeds latest results showed

I wonder if they will do what many others do and borrow money to buy the club and transfer the debt repayment responsibility onto the club itself. Then down the line even if they sell the club at a heavy loss they'll still make a profit and leave the club holding paying for the debt they took out.

It really shouldn't be legal as it's so open for abuse.

I wonder if they will do what many others do and borrow money to buy the club and transfer the debt repayment responsibility onto the club itself. Then down the line even if they sell the club at a heavy loss they'll still make a profit and leave the club holding paying for the debt they took out.

It really shouldn't be legal as it's so open for abuse.

Very few clubs in English football make enough profit (or any profit in many cases) for an investment fund like that to have any interest in purchasing it - let alone one in mid(ish) table position in Lge1.
You would think therefore that there is a nailed on way for this group to be able to get their money back, with interest, when they decide to move on so you could well be right

Very few clubs in English football make enough profit (or any profit in many cases) for an investment fund like that to have any interest in purchasing it - let alone one in mid(ish) table position in Lge1.
You would think therefore that there is a nailed on way for this group to be able to get their money back, with interest, when they decide to move on so you could well be right

Then again they will be faceless owners and liable to pull out at the drop of a hat leaving the club in admin.

Oh sorry didn't that just happen to us.

Ipswich are a hugely attractive club for investors because they have a large ceiling in terms of fanbase. Based in the middle of nowhere with the closest Premier League clubs to them in London, they have huge scope for expanding their already very good fanbase. Having been to Portman Road, they could easily expand as well with the amount of land around that area that they own. You can't compare them to us, they are far more attractive.

Them and Norwich have underachieved in English football now for years. Let's not forget, Ipswich were UEFA Cup winners once upon a time.

He is going to do well if he is still there next season. Can't see their fans being as patient as some of ours with his nil nil borefest rubbish.

He is going to do well if he is still there next season. Can't see their fans being as patient as some of ours with his nil nil borefest rubbish.
I'd be surprised if he was there next season. He was hired to give them that extra something to get them up, and he's been responsible for some really poor results.

If their owners are investors rather than 'football people', they'll be wanting to see return quickly, and that means promotion, since it immediately hikes the value of the club. No way anyone pays £40 million for a League One club unless their plan is to get up into the Championship sharpish. As others have said, Ipswich have vast potential but to realise it, much less monetize it, you have to be winning. If Cook doesn't get them into the playoffs (which is unlikely in the extreme now), he'll be toast, because every season they're stuck in League One, they'll be losing ever more money, which makes their margin smaller when they do get promoted and could them probably get a return on their investment.

What Ipswich fans should be wary of is that if they get to a point where it doesn't look like they'll ever realistically be able to recoup whatever costs they've incurred, then they could be left high and dry like we were when the investors decide to try to get as much as possible back by liquidating assets. No-one (proper football fans at least) wants to see any other clubs in that situation, and I would be a bit worried if I was an Ipswich fan. If it goes well for them, great, no doubt it'll work out, since as long a the club's stock is rising, they'll keep pumping money in, but as soon as it's not seen to be adding value, as any investment orientated company / individual (as opposed to an owner who actually supports the club) would do they'll jump before they incur further losses (or their profit shrinks).

It's a difficult scenario, since it could go well if willing investors put the money in and results follow, but if performances and results aren't putting them where they need to be, it could all go horribly wrong very quickly... as us Latics fans know all too well.

My point is that if it goes well, it goes very well, but Cook is in a very exposed position... he's the guy they will hold responsible for on field performances and results, and they won't be patient if it's not going well, since their costs are racking up to the tune of millions with each season they don't get promoted. Given how poor a start he's had, I doubt they'll trust him with big money for signings if he doesn't even make the playoffs this season, since that was the target they gave him. I suspect that unless they play a blinder in their remaining games and sneak back into a playoff slot, Cook will be replaced immediately so a new boss has time to identify targets.

Last edited:
Way things are going at Ipswich he might be back here
As Richardson assistant

He said he can’t recall one of his teams ever producing such a poor first half performance. He must have forgotten the brentford debacle at home last season.
I see your Brentford and I raise you Blackpool at home. I sacked off my Shrove Tuesday pancakes to go, froze my bollocks off and ending up leaving after about an hour.

I see your Brentford and I raise you Blackpool at home. I sacked off my Shrove Tuesday pancakes to go, froze my bollocks off and ending up leaving after about an hour.
Go on then ... I trump both Brentford and Blackpool with Man City (inc Aguerro and De Bruyne etc).

What. A. Night.