Why can’t Paul Cook land a job | Vital Football

Why can’t Paul Cook land a job

walgarthjohn

Vital 1st Team Regular
Not looking good for Cook getting A job. Always. Looks the favourite for one then for some reason. Doesn’t get it. Think he will have to now drop into league one if he doesn’t get the Sheff Wed job.

Because he’s well overrated !

If your :fish: Degsy, you've got a bite n reel me in. PC imo managed in fits n starts...Great at the start & getting us promotion followed by relegation n then our Year to forget when we got sold down the river by the HK twins & Covid. During the latter period imo was when PC's true character shone through...he was a great example of a leader of a team who despite being on their arse, destined for relegation & not a pot to piss in whilst players were due to be / were being flogged but somehow he managed to galvanise the squad & give us some great fighting spirit and nearly got us to safety whilst playing some great football....oh n by the way during one of the hardest times to play football - under Admin, zero money & a pandemic. So he redeemed any negatives I previously had & I would gladly welcome him back to our club anytime. Not many like him n I would have him in my corner over any Sam Alardyce /Harry Redknapp or the likes.

One thing that did amuse me was Sheff Wed fans thinking he plays good attractive football. I'd say 80% of the time, the football we played was shite. He'd be better off staying well clear of them with their mad owner anyway. I think people do look at his record in the Championship and see that apart from that period from January to the end of our second season, we were mainly abysmal. A year and a half without an away win is hardly going to get you a job at a Championship club looking to progress.

Cook would be ideal for a job like Celtic. Based on how he did for us in League One with players far too good for the division, I think he'd do really well at a club like them and get them back above Rangers. They'd never go for him though because he isn't a big enough name or a club legend like Lennon.

He's never coming back here though so get that out of your head right now.

One thing that did amuse me was Sheff Wed fans thinking he plays good attractive football. I'd say 80% of the time, the football we played was shite. He'd be better off staying well clear of them with their mad owner anyway. I think people do look at his record in the Championship and see that apart from that period from January to the end of our second season, we were mainly abysmal. A year and a half without an away win is hardly going to get you a job at a Championship club looking to progress.

Cook would be ideal for a job like Celtic. Based on how he did for us in League One with players far too good for the division, I think he'd do really well at a club like them and get them back above Rangers. They'd never go for him though because he isn't a big enough name or a club legend like Lennon.

Might get the Fleetwood job after we have played them. Barnsley, Rotherham, Luton size clubs haven't sacked anyone yet. A big club? Not a chance. Ima

Don't anyone think that the very bad experience he went through with our Club makes him careful about this next job. Remember the high of beating Stoke & immediately after to be told that we're in administration? And by the sounds of JJ (PWU podcast) one wonders if PC ever met Choi or any other directors.

"The 53-year-old, who has been out of work since leaving Wigan Athletic last summer, said: “It [Sheffield Wednesday] is a fantastic opportunity for anyone, but people have to understand about modern day football, if you want to manage one of these good clubs you have to be able to manage. If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager. "
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-cook-sheffield-wednesday-talks-19637928

Great at the start & getting us promotion followed by relegation n then our Year to forget when we got sold down the river by the HK twins & Covid.

"Promotion, followed by relegation & then our year to forget"?? Paul Cook never got Latics relegated when he was manager.
Was it not promotion, survival & then our year to forget (when we finished mid-table)?

We'll never know now but it'd be interesting to know how we'd have faired this season if he'd managed to keep that squad together & add to it - You can argue that we'd have pushed for the play offs (Barnsley are managing it so far) but we've seen before under the likes of Martinez that a good end to a season doesn't necessarily mean the team will carry it on the season after.
On the other hand was his time in the Championship like Jewell when he first arrived (albeit it over a longer period)? Until well in to the new year in Jewell's first season we were dire. Did Cook take time to adjust & get his squad settled & playing his way coz there's no doubt that during that first season & a half in the Championship we played some of the most turgid stuff that I've ever seen from a Latics team

Cook would be top of many clubs lists if he was open to any offer, but understandably he wants to try and get a club at the highest possible level rather than drop into L1 again.

A lot of managers end up in the position that they are too good for the clubs who would want them and not good enough for the clubs they want. I think Cook could be a good appointment for a lower side in the Championship but for many Championship sides they will have more options and they may go for someone more glamerous / ambitious.

If we get a takeover done with someone decent and a bit of budget and Cook is still out of work I think the chances of him coming back are now pretty decent compared to where they were previously a non starter.

To be fair to the man, didn't he volunteer for that at the start of the first lockdown.

Whatever his expectations of landing another role fairly quickly, he left in order to lighten the wage burden in our time of crisis. For that, he deserves our enormous gratitude.
Quite right too

To be fair to the man, didn't he volunteer for that at the start of the first lockdown.

Whatever his expectations of landing another role fairly quickly, he left in order to lighten the wage burden in our time of crisis. For that, he deserves our enormous gratitude.

Not to mention his heroics at the back end of last season given all that was going on as well...

I think Cook went as it made sense for him professionally and us financially. His stock was high and no compo increased his chances of staying in the Championship plus being at an L1 club as results suffered even if it was due to circumstances beyond his control would still diminish his reputation. Must also have been hard to see all you built ripped apart and his relationship with admin was not positive after the Moore fiasco. Also he was facing a significant pay cut to stay after relegation so it wasnt an attractive option to stay. Even if admin wanted to keep him in think he'd have felt it was right to go.

But even after his pay cut he was still going to be on big money. His wages were probably the equivalent of 5 or more of the players we brought in and in our state he was unaffordable. If he was open to staying admin would've certainly been trying to shift him out if possible and if they couldn't find him a new club he'd have every right to ask for compo to go which it never came to.

So I don't think it was a completely selfless act but think i mutually beneficial move for both parties. Certainly don't blame him for wanting to go, I'd have done same in his position.

Last edited:

Great idea, Celtic it is then because if he goes there they won't be rising above the Teddy Bears for quite the foreseeable future.

Great idea, Celtic it is then because if he goes there they won't be rising above the Teddy Bears for quite the foreseeable future.
Cook would comfortably have Celtic win the league. They’d reach the heights they did under Rodgers with him in charge.

Cook would comfortably have Celtic win the league. They’d reach the heights they did under Rodgers with him in charge.

Think Celtic currently in need of a bit of an overhaul of the squad with a bit of rebuilding & if PC was asked / signed then if he didn't have them up & running he'd get slaughtered by the Celtic fans...think us lot are impatient those clowns think they're the North of the border equivalents of Liverpool. I mean PC didn't like the grief he got from some quarters at the DW he'd get it alot more up there especially at an old firm game at Parkhead with 60K baying Celtic fans when Rangers hump them 1/2/3 nil....