Who would you like to sign a new contract next? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Who would you like to sign a new contract next?

I think we need to keep Nates,Wright, Appleton, George, Scully, Kerslake etc Then we wont have too much to worry about

This thread from a year ago after that awful showing at Southend is quite interesting. There's 3 or 4 posters not at all happy with him back then.

However, the rest of us can gloat....

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/appleton-discussion.102392/

I wasn't overwhelmingly positive with some pluses/minuses, but I think the objections were all emphatically answered! In retrospect the shock therapy (quick removal of the high earners and bed in the younger players) was warranted. The issues with the passing out the back largely fixed by bringing in players more capable of doing it/more time to work with the team.

The 4-4-2 we played for a bit disappeared and we got more permanent long term options in too to complement the loans.

I think the thing none of us could have predicted is just how well it has gone from there!

I wasn't overwhelmingly positive with some pluses/minuses, but I think the objections were all emphatically answered! In retrospect the shock therapy (quick removal of the high earners and bed in the younger players) was warranted. The issues with the passing out the back largely fixed by bringing in players more capable of doing it/more time to work with the team.

The 4-4-2 we played for a bit disappeared and we got more permanent long term options in too to complement the loans.

I think the thing none of us could have predicted is just how well it has gone from there!

We have never really played 442 under Mapp though have we? He has pretty much been set on one central striker the whole time. 433 or 4231 is pretty much similar depending on the person playing in the number 10 role. Tyler Walker is one striker who maybe needed to play in a 442 because he was so flimsy and lightweight playing up top on his own.
Looking back at that old tread it’s really embarrassing for some, overall MApp and his staff are doing alright at the moment

I feel a bit sorry for Anderson, but all the signs are he could be one of the first out the door in the summer. His (ever diminishing) appearances of late suggest to me that the team and the tactics and how Appleton wants to play are overtaking Anderson somewhat.

Don't get me wrong he still does a good job and has that uncanny knack of scoring a goal which is always valuable, especially in a midfielder. However to me at least, he looks a little bit lost at times within the game as the direct 'get your head down and run with it' style that is his strength just doesn't fit naturally into how we are setting up and playing under MA.

Hope I'm wrong, but could easily see him being replaced/upgrdaded in the summer.

I feel a bit sorry for Anderson, but all the signs are he could be one of the first out the door in the summer. His (ever diminishing) appearances of late suggest to me that the team and the tactics and how Appleton wants to play are overtaking Anderson somewhat.

Don't get me wrong he still does a good job and has that uncanny knack of scoring a goal which is always valuable, especially in a midfielder. However to me at least, he looks a little bit lost at times within the game as the direct 'get your head down and run with it' style that is his strength just doesn't fit naturally into how we are setting up and playing under MA.

Hope I'm wrong, but could easily see him being replaced/upgrdaded in the summer.
He's had Covid, for heaven's sake! And it took him longest to recover.

I had to read the date on this, as in the first few months of Appleton's tenure he did look lost and on his way out, but like Grant he responded to the challenges posed.

This autumn, he was totally on method and one of our best players. From Tuesday's evidence he's now getting back to full fitness and if there are no lingering after effects from Covid, will hopefully have a significant role in the rest of the season.

We have never really played 442 under Mapp though have we? He has pretty much been set on one central striker the whole time. 433 or 4231 is pretty much similar depending on the person playing in the number 10 role. Tyler Walker is one striker who maybe needed to play in a 442 because he was so flimsy and lightweight playing up top on his own.
Looking back at that old tread it’s really embarrassing for some, overall MApp and his staff are doing alright at the moment

I think it was very specific to the time of the post (end of Jan/Feb 2020) - e.g lineup v Portsmouth after we had signed John-Jules and Hopper (there were also a few with TJJ and Walker as a front two).

Vickers; Eardley, Bolger, Shackell, Melbourne; Anderson, Morrell, Coventry, Grant; John-Jules, Hopper.

It saw some of our worst performances - including the Southend one that I think led to that thread?

I don't think it was ever Mapp's preferred to be fair, just remember us struggling in some of those games. Trying to play out the back (badly) but with 2 central midfielders scuttling back and forth and TJJ not touching the ball. After that I think the regular set up was Hesketh as a 10 behind one of them.

I think it was very specific to the time of the post (end of Jan/Feb 2020) - e.g lineup v Portsmouth after we had signed John-Jules and Hopper (there were also a few with TJJ and Walker as a front two).

Vickers; Eardley, Bolger, Shackell, Melbourne; Anderson, Morrell, Coventry, Grant; John-Jules, Hopper.

It saw some of our worst performances - including the Southend one that I think led to that thread?

I don't think it was ever Mapp's preferred to be fair, just remember us struggling in some of those games. Trying to play out the back (badly) but with 2 central midfielders scuttling back and forth and TJJ not touching the ball. After that I think the regular set up was Hesketh as a 10 behind one of them.
That was a very slow back line, Melbourne (who I've never really rated) aside. The rest of the side looks decent, but the defence was really not up to what Appleton wanted to achieve.

Would you pay him 8 grand a week?

I am not saying you wrong and I wouldn't be surprised but how do people know all these figures?

Players salaries aren't published in this country as they are in the USA ( for instance Micheal Mancienne who was training with us got around £14,000 a week playing for the New England Revolution over 2 years because salaries are made public) I suspect much of what we think we know or have been tipped off is just wild speculation and wide of the mark.

Salaries will be made up of basic and bonuses and I guess the more successful you are as a club the more the players get. But do any of us really know what each individual player is on?

No i think it was subtly implied though, but given it was a year ago i cant find any articles of him quoted on it, so i could be wrong
When he was interviewed on Quest (maybe) fairly recently there was also a slight slip where he indicated he had his plan and the implication was that he wasn't looking to stay beyond that. Certainly if he achieves his goal, I can't see him staying. Even in the Championship we would be punching, so he hasn't got much to gain by staying on.

I am not saying you wrong and I wouldn't be surprised but how do people know all these figures?

Players salaries aren't published in this country as they are in the USA ( for instance Micheal Mancienne who was training with us got around £14,000 a week playing for the New England Revolution over 2 years because salaries are made public) I suspect much of what we think we know or have been tipped off is just wild speculation and wide of the mark.

Salaries will be made up of basic and bonuses and I guess the more successful you are as a club the more the players get. But do any of us really know what each individual player is on?

Purely and educated guess. Our players are on, what? A couple of grand a week? Young first teamers in League 1?

Youthful prospect groomed from a young age by a premier team?
https://www.quora.com/Do-academy-football-players-u18s-u21s-get-paid-in-England-If-yes-how-much

Maybe I read too much into it, but he's an ambitious guy who has said he wants to manage at the highest level, which in this country is the Prem. As much as I love this club, we are never going to play at the highest level, so he will move on when the right offer comes.

Maybe I read too much into it, but he's an ambitious guy who has said he wants to manage at the highest level, which in this country is the Prem. As much as I love this club, we are never going to play at the highest level, so he will move on when the right offer comes.
i agree with you, his drive/ambition is part of what makes him so good.

nevertheless, my guess is the board will try to extend his contract, probably at the end of this season. but certainly before it runs down. to protect their asset. appleton knows how management works, he will know signing an extension will in no way prevent him moving up to a top championship team or prem team.

appleton will also see that we did the same with cowley. and we did not use the contract to prevent cowley from leaving. we used it to make £1m.

from my point of view i remember thinking losing cowley was the end of our brief time in front of the shining lights. but it wasn't - far from it. so we can have some confidence of life after appleton too. when that time comes.

Given MA's experiences with Pompey, Blackpool and Blackburn, I suspect he'll be a little more careful with moves.

He's clearly a good L1 manager so if it didn't happen at Lincoln for him in the Championship and we came straight back down, you'd still fancy him to be attractive to a Championship side with a calibre of player relative for that level i.e. ones we couldn't afford.

I've no doubt he'd take the job in a second if a Premier League or one of the very big Championship clubs came in for him. And while I'd be disappointed I wouldn't blame him either to be honest. I don't really see that happening any time soon though, that sort of club are very hesitant about looking further down for managers when there's the merry-go-round of managers with experience at that level to pick from, and if they don't fancy them they've got the resources to poach managers from the Bundesliga or Ligue 1. A half season doing very well in League 1 isn't going to do it however good it is. Maybe a lower Championship club might come in (like Huddersfield, say) but they tend to come with a lot of issues to deal with and he could easily be out of a job very soon (can't think of a good example here...).