Who would you keep? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Who would you keep?

Dubravka: (possibly 2nd choice) I don't see him as huge issue that needs addressing for next season)

Schar: Ball playing centre half wasted under Bruce under Howe is back to his best.

Targett : not the flashiest name but since Enrique we've struggled for a decent left back . We've now got one, let's keep him.

Trippier : No brainer , incredible for the team and squad, he was essentially coaching the side as he was warming up the other night.

Krafth: The redemption of Krafth is second only to the resurrection of Joelinton. Realistically we simply can't afford to upgrade everybody in the squad and with a hopefully consistently fit Trippier , Emil Krafth has proven himself to be a more reliable and a better option than Manquillo as back up.

Joelinton: On his day in the centre of midfield there's few teams that can handle him and there simply aren't many midfielders in the game with his size, strength and power. Just typing those words seems like some sort of hallucinatory experience, he's even starting to resemble a captain. The fact he's even having days is wonderful. Incredible against Arsenal. His performance against Manchester United in December was one of THE great defensive midfield displays. He's not a player to be used as an attacker though. Goals against Norwich don't count. He has to played as a midfielder.

A credit to Howe and credit to the man himself. This lad was brought here by Ashley, a record signing, not even given a translator, given to a useless coach who didn't have the first clue how to use him. Stuck upfront a position he'd hardly ever played in the most physically demanding league in the world, in a side that hardly ever attacked. He struggled and collapsed under the weight of expectation. Jeered off against Rochdale. Was probably only still here because he couldn't be shifted on. He could have disappeared. Could have become the latest foreign flop in the Premier League. Seeing his contract out and moving back to Europe on a free at the end of it like so many others. The stones and character on this lad to rebuild his game, his body and career and he's done it all with a big grin on his face. The man himself says (in a quote from the I newspaper https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...ewcastle-titles-midfield-conversion-1506404); "I love this city, I love the club and the passion they have for it. They fight for it so I want to fight for it." With the fight this man's got we are going places !

Shelvey : Adds another option to the squad and a domestic player. With movement around him under Howe he looks far improved. Can't really be truly effective against the better sides. I think there's one more season where he can be of real use though.

Fraser : Really not sure about him , think he's too injury prone and has struggled for base consistency. That being said he's a domestic player that at his best can work within an improved squad and those few flashes from him (particularly against Brentford) prove to me that he's worth another season, though maybe cut him loose in the January window.

Saint-Maximin: I think he can be a special player but so much is about his attitude. Looked a real killer against Everton and showed against Arsenal how he can work within the pressing and tactics Howe wants to employ. He at times has carried this club on his back but being ruthless those days are gone. It's about what the team can do. The best managers can handle difficult characters which isn't something I associate with ASM currently but has been an accusation levelled against him in the past. I'm hoping he's maturing. When he's on his game he could play for a top four side. It's up to the manager and Asm to show he can he get there.

Joe Willock: Big season for him . Domestic player, hopefully now settled, absolutely a part of the squad.

Dan Burn : The colossus !! Has to start.

Sean Longstaff : has to be fully fit , when he's not he looks awful. One of the biggest victims of Bruceball. Against Arsenal showed glimpses of what he can be again (lovely little ball for the chance that eventually led to Bruno's goal.) I think he's worth proceeding with for another season in the squad. Domestic player which has to be a consideration.

Guimaraes: Sell him ! As if !! Could walk into the midfield of most teams in Europe. The cornerstone of everything we want to be within the next five years.

Wilson : His fitness has to be managed correctly . I think he's shown exactly what we've been lacking. After Kane he's the best English striker, those channel runs and working the offside is superb. His chance conversion ratio under Bruce was wonderful. Under Howe with a front foot team and Guimaraes feeding him. He should be nearer 15- 20 goals. Those bloody injuries though. Lets not forget his first game back from injury he gets the mouth injury. Has to be supplemented with another striker who can look to get 15-20 goals a season . Callum has 17 appearances this season and we need him to be nearer the 35 of past seasons . He's now 30 years of age and his body has taken a lot in his career. He simply cannot be relied upon game in game out. A key indicator of the club's ambitions is how they recruit upfront this summer.

Honourable Mentions :

Miguel Almiron . Winner of the David Kelly chase a crisp packet across the park award. I've always liked Miggy. Though he appears to have regressed and at times has looked a headless chicken, he's got a hell of an engine on him though. Part of me wants to see him in the new era as part Howe's plans. I wouldn't be disappointed if he's a squad player but I do feel the time has come to let him go and to upgrade.

Elliot Anderson: We've all heard this kid's supposed to be special, will he go out on loan or be be allowed to show glimpses of his reported talent here ? In Howe I trust.

Chris Wood: Only keep as a third choice at best. Not a goalscorer. His application and effort have been vital to keeping us up but I don't think he's good enough for where we are trying to get to next season .

Excellent post Keggy.

To add, this thread just shows the big difference between when it was made and now plus proof that decent coaching and confidence changes players and opinions.

As I alluded to on 'The Run In' thread, we're in a false position in that the table shows us to be ranked 12th but we've been playing top 7 football since Howe came and top 4 football in the second half of the season. Our position being scarred by cabbage face and his non-tactics.

As we could be technically a top 6 or 8 side already, I reckon we only need to change a couple of players a season as well as strengthen the bench for many reasons.

I like Dubravka but unless he improves or speeds up his distribution then im open for his position to be filled.

Krafth I have changed my mind on and i think he deserves another season to see if he can improve further as he has had a good season.

We definitely need at least one more striker, a right winger and another central defender for starters.

For me - Out:

Darlow, Lascelles, Clark, Fernandez, Ritchie, Gayle, Murphy, Hendrick and Chris Wood.

Question marks have to be above Freddie Woodman especially if we're linked with Dean Henderson.

Great post keggy. To add to what you said about Joelinton, what has to be said also about his character is the work this lad put in behind the scenes when he was taking serious stick off his own fans. He hired a PT and put in extra sessions. Massive credit to Howe for transforming him and also to Ciaran Clark for getting sent off so big Joe could be put in midfield.

I like Fraser he's our most efficient and intelligent winger when he's fit. His problem is he's made of glass

They have both signed extensions not sure about that but if Longstaff plays like he did against Arsenal then happy days!

Take a bow Isaac, put in a good shift for us...

From NUFC.com

Road trip for Isaac

Tuesday saw Newcastle confirm a season-long loan switch to Championship side Norwich City for Isaac Hayden.

The 27 year-old midfielder is under contract at SJP until 2026 but played the last of his 171 league and cup games for United last December before undergoing surgery to rectify a knee problem.

Essex-born Hayden is reunited with ex-Magpie colleague Grant Hanley at Carrow Road, with Gallowgate old boy Tim Krul also in the Canaries squad.

The loan deal includes an obligation to buy the player outright for an undisclosed deal should "should specific performance-related criteria be met throughout the 2022/23 season" according to NUFC.