Who would you keep? | Vital Football

Who would you keep?

If we get relegated I suspect the bulk of the side would form the basis of the Championship squad.

Players I'd keep :

Dubravka (one of the best keepers in the Premier League)

Schar (his passing ability from the back would be worth keeping him around for and his lapses would hopefully be less exposed).

Manquillo (his level, upgrade upon on promotion)
Lewis (looked decent there previously could well be the making of him as a NUFC player)

Hayden (no brainer in that league, where its often about graft as much as prowess)

Shelvey (only if he's the Shelvey under Howe , the one from the Bruce era should never be near a first team shirt again and should be sent to the glue factory)

Joelinton (again could this be his opportunity to bring consistency to his game rather than occasional flashes, the man who played against Brentford looked a nightmare for prem defences let alone Championship)

Wilson (good player but if a silly money offer came in would have to be considered. Think he's going off the boil ever so slightly and in a league where you have to play 46 games and the physicality is more of an issue would we get 15-20 games out of him ? )

Saint-Maximin (suspect he'd be off anyway and may well be worth an opportunity to make a mint on a player who on his day can be a world beater but off his day isn't even a carpet beater. If he stayed, manager has to integrate him into the team in such a way as to get the most out of him, again needs to develop his game so that he offers plenty when he's not hearing the MOTD theme in his head. When on it he would kill players in that league)

Gayle (squad player, always scores in that league)

Anderson (heard this kid is very talented, much like the Hughton promotion season was the making of Andy Carroll an opportunity to see if this lad sinks or swims).

I think most would be kept and invest wisely. Most of the players we have are Championship quality anyway. It isn’t a give me coming straight back up even with all the money we have That is a concern for me as everyone assumes we will bounce straight back.

Last edited:
I like Schar but he needs a proper defender playing beside him. Pretty sure he's in the last year of his contract anyway. It might come down to who actually wants to stay. I know the whole defence needs to go, I don't care if they're championship standard, it's the same defence we had last time we got relegated and I'm sick looking at invincible undroppable lascelles who would struggle in the championship. The more of this core of players we get rid of the better of we'll be.

Dubravka, ASM, Lewis possibly ,Wilson.Schar, Fernandes, Manguillo possibly, if we stay up

Are you having a giraffe? We have 2 strikers, none of which can manage 6 games on the trot
Gayle would come back into it, Wilson has just played 8 on the trot and looks fit man. Joelinton would surely be handy at that level. Be a piece of pxxx.

I don't think Almiron or Joelinton would be good enough for the championship, Maxi is getting close too.

After today I'm thinking I would keep none of them. We are rid of the hierarchy, now need to sweep the squad with a new broom and urgently in January.

We were well beaten from what I saw. Maddison was diving before he was touched for the penalty and Tielmanns gesticulating like a city trader yet not one of our players protested about the decision. We are down with this attitude

We were well beaten from what I saw. Maddison was diving before he was touched for the penalty and Tielmanns gesticulating like a city trader yet not one of our players protested about the decision. We are down with this attitude
We were taken apart second half having said that it was not a pen.

That's what you said last season, and the season before rocks.

When Benitez was in charge the previous two seasons, our squad was even worse on paper but we were just as comfortable in avoiding the drop.

With the current gap between us and our customary 12th placed finish only 3 wins, and our new leaders on display every matchday acting as a very visual reminder of our new ownership and subsequent available spending power in the upcoming transfer window, you must be more confident ?

Unless of course your current lack of belief is really a cry for help to Bruce and the previous owner to get us out of a sticky situation one last time :grinning:

Interesting thread this. Any opinions changed since it was posted? Now that we're safe Howe has clearly added value to the playing squad. Who are we keeping now we're staying up?

If we had been relegated as had looked odds on when the takeover was first muted think back to the twice we were relegated when under Ashley's tenure. Any player deemed an asset was sold if a buyer could be found. We mattered not a jot. A lot of effort has been put in at every level at the club since the takeover and it shows, on and off the field.Will the same players take us to a level we want? Some will, some might and some won't. I would think Howe has a good idea of who he wants to move on. All the same, on Monday night it was a good to get the enthusiastic vibes back.