Who will stay who will go | Page 8 | Vital Football

Who will stay who will go

Thinking back to December. We off loaded Matt Green for a sizeable fee with perhaps extra if Salford get promoted.

Some questioned the decision at the time.

From a view 4 months later it looks so obviously right. (He would have gone for nothing in the summer).

Should give any doubters confidence we will make the correct decisions on recruitment again in the summer.

Green scored a late winner yesterday. Might help earn us a bit extra for the transfer kitty, if we did get a really good deal from Salford and they go up.

The Carlisle forum makes mention of McCartan and how they would be happy to take him (and of course Akinde), but the interesting part is that there is a clause in his 3-year deal which ups the purchase price to £250k if he plays 50 games for them. He has currently started 24 and played 4 as a sub. Given that his original purchase was 'an undisclosed 6 figure sum', it may cost Bradford in the region of £150k if they played him next season. They would have to weigh up whether this is where they want to spend money next year. Not sure of the accuracy of this,

Transfer wish list:
James Norwood - Out of contract
Danny Mayor - Out of contract/Bury mess
Ilias Chair - On loan
Baily Cargill - Out of contract
Shay McCartan - Perhaps cheaper than his current agreed fee with Bradford's troubles. Wouldn't pay too much for him.
Danny Rowe - If available, Ipswich have a large squad and may be keen on shipping him off cheaply.
Taylor Moore - Out of contract
O'Hara - Might have to be a big signing. Fee agreed already though.

(Yes Moore & Cargill are FM signings but have only seen positives about both of them and we were supposedly in for Cargill last season too.)

New contracts for Habergham, Rhead, O'Connor, Adebayo-Smith

Out: Vickers, Wilson, Shackell (would keep if we could)

Would give us:
GK's: Gilks, Smith
FB's: Eardley, (Moore can also play RB), Toffolo, Habergham
CB's: Bolger, Bostwick, Cargill, Moore
CM's: Frecklington, Chapman, Pett, O'Hara, O'Connor
WG's: Rowe, Anderson, Andrade, Mayor
AM's: McCartan, Chair
ST's: Akinde, Norwood, Rhead, Adebayo-Smith

I think we're going to be more ruthless than some anticipate with regards to who we retain. I wouldn't be surprised if our older midfield complement don't make it - Frecklington and O'Connor. Danny has been relentless in taking the squad forward and going up another level is going to be a challenge like never before; everybody in our small squad is going to have to be available and contributing. Just my feelings!

Indeed don't forget Danny offered contracts to or retained the whole squad bar the lads on loan after we lost in the playoffs last season but it was a very different squad by September 1st.
He seems to player churn so subtley you hardly notice but he's doing it.

Maybe Anderson will go???

I sat next to a bloke at Carlisle (who I didn't know) who shouted out to Anderson half way through the second half (after yet another lung bursting run), "I hope you're not here next year, you're f***ing useless, no f***ing end-product, ever".

I just couldn't be bothered to reply, but then talking to complete morons and trying to make them see sense isn't my strongest asset.

I think we're going to be more ruthless than some anticipate with regards to who we retain. I wouldn't be surprised if our older midfield complement don't make it - Frecklington and O'Connor. Danny has been relentless in taking the squad forward and going up another level is going to be a challenge like never before; everybody in our small squad is going to have to be available and contributing. Just my feelings!

Frecklington injured again. Not looking good for the future if we're to be honest.

Maybe Anderson will go???

I sat next to a bloke at Carlisle (who I didn't know) who shouted out to Anderson half way through the second half (after yet another lung bursting run), "I hope you're not here next year, you're f***ing useless, no f***ing end-product, ever".

I just couldn't be bothered to reply, but then talking to complete morons and trying to make them see sense isn't my strongest asset.
Who'd be a lower league winger? On your day, as good as some higher up, on the bad days you get this.
I'm not sure what some expect from L2 players, especially the more gifted. Sure most of us accept, if they did it 9 out of 10 games rather than 5 from 10, they wouldn't be slumming it with us.
The latter day Danny N'Guessan?
Anyway that fella should stay at home and watch Manchester City on television.

although the squad is small, it is not really the case that they are all contributing...

second half of this season:
three keepers for one place.
wilson. hardly gets a look in
roberts. hardly.
brown. not sure he has even played.
angol. hardly ever.
rhead. gets five minutes - but not even that lately.
freck. mostly injured.

habergham. injured
chapman. out on loan.

1 from the 3 keepers, plus 13 outfielders have done the majority of the minutes

Pett is arguably our best cm and would be amazed if Danny sold, build the side around him imho.
He's thrived in the centre of midfield despite being 5 foot 4 in a physical league, league one is less so and expecting him to be even better.

Pett is arguably our best cm and would be amazed if Danny sold, build the side around him imho.
He's thrived in the centre of midfield despite being 5 foot 4

According to his Wikipedia entry he's 5ft 8in which I would say was about right.

Nope, it's really not. The injuries seem to be quite frequent now, and having (in my opinion) not been one of our better midfielders this season, is he really going to be a key player next season in league one? I struggle to see it.

Thing is, the frequent injuries aren’t a surprise...he’s had a good career, but always had injuries. Sentimentality aside, I’d argue he’s been one of the worst Cowley era signings if you factor in his undoubtedly large wages.