Who will stay and go..... I think we might find out soon | Vital Football

Who will stay and go..... I think we might find out soon

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
We need 6/7 more points (hopefully) to avoid the drop and it’ll be interesting then to see who he plays? I think the inconsistency and low budget might see a few be told early they aren’t in his plans for next year.

SE on GFC website:

“We are really disappointed, it was a big chance to come here and win. It makes things hard for us now; we need to give other players a chance."

So how many changes will SE make to the starting line-up at Swindon ? Sounds like there could be loads - but, my guess is one.

SE often says that changes are coming and then makes none. That's because his squad is small and I don't think he really trusts the fringe players.

Johnson seeming like a really odd signing now, especially when it was initially a loan deal. Definitely out in the cold when Macdonald came on before he was considered last night.

Johnson seeming like a really odd signing now, especially when it was initially a loan deal. Definitely out in the cold when Macdonald came on before he was considered last night.

Particularly as Evans made it clear that he was sure enough about Johnson that he immediately intended to make the transfer permanent to allow for more loan signings. WTF?

Hodson barely played before he was out again, on loan.
Maghoma has started 4 times.
Morton has barely played any minutes so far.

I just wish he spent more time in his research, as he certainly seems to be sure quickly when he has made a mistake.

Particularly as Evans made it clear that he was sure enough about Johnson that he immediately intended to make the transfer permanent to allow for more loan signings. WTF?

Hodson barely played before he was out again, on loan.
Maghoma has started 4 times.
Morton has barely played any minutes so far.

I just wish he spent more time in his research, as he certainly seems to be sure quickly when he has made a mistake.
Re: Johnson we did the same with Graham, we hardly played him last year. Fitness? But obviously there are other players he’s signed and have been cast to the side straight after.

I think it is very likely that Evans will want to keep his options open for next season. Scally will not know about his budget. So basically the management and players are very much in limbo.Evans will not commit himself until he knows what he will be left with money wise.If he is free to walk away there maybe other clubs interested. But Scally must take his chances as almost every club is on a knife edge.It will not be easy for anyone making a living out of football at the moment.

I think it is very likely that Evans will want to keep his options open for next season. Scally will not know about his budget. .

I'm not sure I agree with either point Chris.

I think Evans has already said he is here to 2022. I don't see a big club coming in for him, his stock really isn't that high and you do get the baggage.

I also think Scally does know his budget (or will do soon). It will be the similar to recent seasons (the lowest according to Steve).

I'd like to see some movement on contract extensions though. I'd like to see us test the water with our soon to be out of contract players. We have the core of a good side and we have Samuel to be almost a new player in the summer.

IF (big IF) we could keep the core together it wouldn't take much to see us push a bit closer to the playoffs next season.

I wonder how close we would have been with a fit O'keefe and a Samuel all season ?

Assuming Evans stays...

Willock and Maghoma guaranteed to go, Evans clearly doesn't rate either. Akinde may be let go, I think MacDonald will stay. We'll try and sign Lee and Cundy and keep Graham, but will probably be unsuccessful with all three. So plenty of rebuilding, but potentially the spine is decent.

Assuming Evans stays...

Willock and Maghoma guaranteed to go, Evans clearly doesn't rate either. Akinde may be let go, I think MacDonald will stay. We'll try and sign Lee and Cundy and keep Graham, but will probably be unsuccessful with all three. So plenty of rebuilding, but potentially the spine is decent.
What spine?

I think only 4 players currently have a contract for next season.

Assuming Evans stays...

Depends on length of contracts though, we know Willock is out of contract, but doesn’t Maghoma have another year? He could well leave anyway if Evans say he won’t be in his plans.
Lee could be too expensive, Graham is rumoured to be off to Charlton, who have a much larger wage budget than Gills, Cundy who knows.
Ogilvie is out of contract also and may have attracted the interest of higher clubs, and Tucker could make Scally some money in the summer if he is sold.

I'm not sure I agree with either point Chris.

I think Evans has already said he is here to 2022. I don't see a big club coming in for him, his stock really isn't that high and you do get the baggage.

I also think Scally does know his budget (or will do soon). It will be the similar to recent seasons (the lowest according to Steve).

I'd like to see some movement on contract extensions though. I'd like to see us test the water with our soon to be out of contract players. We have the core of a good side and we have Samuel to be almost a new player in the summer.

IF (big IF) we could keep the core together it wouldn't take much to see us push a bit closer to the playoffs next season.

I wonder how close we would have been with a fit O'keefe and a Samuel all season ?
I don't see a big club coming in for Evans. But probably a club with a little more money who get promoted or survive the drop.In case you forgot we have the smallest budget according to Evans. Thus most of the division can probably out bid us on wages and funds .No way Evans is going to burn his boats of course he is stay he will stay .I am sure there are players who intend to leave would say the same thing.

I agree with Eager and Mark and you can bet that PS is giving the matter of contract extensions some deep thought. In our favour is the general climate in terms of player contracts. Covid has put job security into perspective for many and footballers are no exceptions. It might be fair to suggest that the general market place for the EFL & NL has never been so gloomy for pro and semi-pro footballers.

As Mark suggests, it`s more than a fair bet that PS is a lot more familiar and confident around his budget projections (for 21/22) than was the case when most of our current newer players arrived.

It might be a challenge to hang on to Graham, Dempsey, Oliver, Lee plus the likes of the impressive young Cundy and possibly Tucker. But, if we can, and we can find the elusive front man we`ve so badly lacked, another season looking up rather than down beckons.

As Eager suggests and assuming no contract barriers, don`t be surprised to see Big John move on, Maghoma as well. I too hope that we hang on to MacDonald. My initial impression of MacDonald wasn`t positive, probably in the light of his ill-disciplined sending-off at the start of the season. But since that time i`ve changed my mind about him - he is a warrior with bags of energy and bite and his game has improved on the discipline front. Indeed, when given the opportunity he applies positive momentum and looks very effective when we deploy a high pressing style. Hope he stays.

Whilst I wouldn`t commit to a bet, I`m still inclined to think, OK, hope, that a top ten or even top seven place remains a possibility for this season. I also believe that GFC will, at a time not too far in the future, benefit from a substantial sum when Bradley Dack moves on.

ST offer will be a factor and it's unpredictable what the take up/retention will be. I hope Scally makes a decent offer to reflect the new situation and the fact that we stood by him and effectively gave the club a fair amount of money. If he comes across as insensitive or grasping the numbers could be very disappointing.

I can't imagine that ST prices will be anything less than the price we last paid tbh.

I'm more concerned he doesn't try to recoup money with price increases. Some sort of gesture needs to be made or numbers could collapse. People have lost the habit, ifollow might continue to be available and this time we know what happens if the season isn't completed, or is done without crowds.