Who will Grealish opt for, does it matter? | Vital Football

Who will Grealish opt for, does it matter?

Spursex

Alert Team
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11550090/Aston-Villas-Jack-Grealish-could-spark-international-tug-of-war-between-Ireland-and-England.html

Aston Villa's Jack Grealish could spark international tug-of-war between Ireland and England

Midfielder who shone for Aston Villa at Wembley in FA Cup semi-final likely to be called into next Republic of Ireland squad by Martin O'Neill

Jack Grealish - Aston Villa's Jack Grealish could spark international tug-of-war between Ireland and England.

Rising star: Jack Grealish is on the cusp of an international call-up after impressing for Aston Villa Photo: REX

By Luke Edwards

2:53PM BST 20 Apr 2015

Jack Grealish is set to receive an international call up from the Republic of Ireland at the end of the season as Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane do not want to lose the Aston Villa player to England.

That could lead to an international tug of war as England manager Roy Hodgson is aware the Brummie has not made a competitive senior international appearance for Ireland and is therefore able to switch allegiance.

Grealish has played all of his age group football for Ireland, but turned down an invitation to train with the senior squad last year and has refused to give an answer on whether he wants to spend the rest of his career as an Ireland international.

The 19-year-old, who excelled in Villa’s FA Cup semi-final win over Liverpool last weekend, is comfortably the most exciting prospect in Irish football, but was born and raised in England and has so far rejected Ireland manager O’Neill's attempts to get him to commit to the senior side.

Ireland are also monitoring young Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford, who has blossomed on a season’s loan at Middlesbrough. Bamford, who has scored 19 goals for the Championship promotion chasers, has played for England Under-21s, but qualifies for Ireland through his grandparents.

Having thought they had managed to get Tottenham striker Harry Kane to commit his international future to Ireland a year ago when he was struggling to get into the Spurs side, O’Neill knows there is a danger they will lose Grealish following his rise to prominence at Villa.

Both O’Neill and Keane, who worked with Grealish during his five month’s as Aston Villa assistant manager, have spoken to the player and his family in an attempt to persuade him to play for Ireland. However, the youngster has been keen to keep his options open and said last month that he would not make a decision until September.

“It’s always a joy to come here and put the green jersey on,” said Grealish after he was named Ireland Under-21 player of the year, despite only playing two games for them.

“I’ve taken a year out to concentrate on my club football and it has helped, I’ve signed a new five year contract and next year [season] hopefully I’ll be back in the green jersey.

“It’s a big decision which country I’m going to play for, it’s an honour to have that decision, but at the moment I’m just concentrating on my club football and hopefully in September I’ll be back playing for Ireland.”

Ireland play a friendly against England in Dublin in June before their vital European Championship qualifier against Scotland the following week and Grealish could well be called into the squad for both games.

dogeatdog - 23/4/2015 17:53

Who cares he seems like a cocky little fucker to me..... Hope he signs for the paddys

No doubt Martin Samuel and you have a lot in common...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/comment-daily-mail-jack-grealish-rant-an-insult-to-all-second-generation-irish-31163187.html

How have I got anything In Common with Samuel.
Like I said I couldn't give a toss who he chooses..... If he wants to play for the paddies that's his choice.
Will be no great loss to us English I'm sure.
If he's born here and wants to play for England then I don't have a problem with that either.....
What's yours ?

dogeatdog - 23/4/2015 21:26

Like I said I couldn't give a toss who he chooses..... If he wants to play for the paddies that's his choice.
If he's born here and wants to play for England then I don't have a problem with that either.....
What's yours ?

Grealish has been a very good youth player. It would be a shame if he chose the Hun now but he knows the doors are also open with Ireland.
He is one of the most promising youth players in the Premier League.

Galvin's Shinpads - 24/4/2015 16:43

What's yours ?

Grealish has been a very good youth player. It would be a shame if he chose the Hun now but he knows the doors are also open with Ireland.

He's played for Ireland, he should stick with them. The Huns really don't need him, the Irish do.

Spursex - 24/4/2015 17:42

What's yours ?

He's played for Ireland, he should stick with them. The Huns really don't need him, the Irish do.

Ha! :7:

A little playing to the gallery there.

He is a very good player in the make. England could do a lot worse. In fact, he is well on his way to making a real stab at International Senior level.
He is as much needed with England, as Ireland.

Galvin's Shinpads - 24/4/2015 19:43

What's yours ?

He is a very good player in the make. England could do a lot worse. In fact, he is well on his way to making a real stab at International Senior level.

I'm not sure he is at all, he has lots of energy but I really don't (at the moment) see a great end product - but time is most definitely on his side, I actually think that England have so many top class choices in his favoured position that opting for us would be a huge career mistake.

Besides, his Dad and his grandad have done a good job of keeping him focused on his Irish roots, he even played Gaelic football up until he was 14 and only stopped I hear when he was told, stop now or we're letting you go.

He may have been born here, but by inclination and breeding, he's Irish.

Spursex - 25/4/2015 08:02

Galvin's Shinpads - 24/4/2015 19:43

What's yours ?

I'm not sure he is at all, he has lots of energy but I really don't (at the moment) see a great end product - but time is most definitely on his side, I actually think that England have so many top class choices in his favoured position that opting for us would be a huge career mistake.

Besides, his Dad and his grandad have done a good job of keeping him focused on his Irish roots, he even played Gaelic football up until he was 14 and only stopped I hear when he was told, stop now or we're letting you go.

He may have been born here, but by inclination and breeding, he's Irish.

You know what, he hasn't yet been a stand-out feature for Villa but he is getting there. As you say, signs of a finished article are a long way off but I do recall seeing a brilliant athlete in a certain Harry Kane and not seeing any real potential. And look who that turned out!

In fairness, it has been looking pretty grim for Ireland on the youth talent front for some time. In Grealish, the scouts feel they have found a new dawn of player. It's about time the next generation of home nations players began to shine through.

For gawd's sake, when you have Paul McShane still attached to your national squad, things can't be all that good!! :19:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMuoxihmu4

Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish rejects Republic of Ireland call for June matches
• Jack Grealish has represented Republic Under-21s but also eligible for England
• Aston Villa teenager not named in squad to face England and Scotland
• Grealish in Villa dreamland with FA Cup final date in diary
Jack Grealish
Jack Grealish 'just didn't want to make up his mind at this stage' on which country he would represent, Martin O'Neill said. Photograph: BPI/Rex Shutterstock

Stuart James
@StuartJamesGNM

Tuesday 12 May 2015 14.09 BST
Last modified on Tuesday 12 May 2015 19.22 BST

Jack Grealish is expected to hold out for a possible England call up after the 19-year-old rejected the chance to join up with the Republic of Ireland squad.

Martin O’Neill, the Ireland manager, had hoped to call Grealish up for next month’s friendly against England and the Euro 2016 qualifier against Scotland, but the teenager maintained that he is not yet ready to make a decision on his international future and that he would prefer to concentrate on playing for Aston Villa.

A burgeoning presence in the Villa first-team since Tim Sherwood took over as manager, Grealish has been widely acclaimed for his performances in recent weeks and now finds himself is at the centre of a tug-of-war between England and Ireland. O’Neill, the former Villa manager, confirmed that he had spoken to Grealish and his father with a view to bringing him into the senior set up but denied that he was trying to force the player’s hand.

Grealish was born and raised in Birmingham but his father’s parents are Irish and he has represented the country at youth level and played for their Under-21 side. He was called up for England at schoolboy level earlier in his career but had been forced to pull out through illness and it is understood that the the way things were handled by the FA afterwards went down badly.

Representing England at senior level, however, remains a distinct possibility, with those close to Grealish predicting that he will weigh up his options for a good while longer. Grealish is enjoying his football at the moment and, with Villa still looking to secure their Premier League status and an FA Cup final against ars*nal on the horizon, he has more than enough on his plate. At the same time there is a clear sense among those that know Grealish well that he will want to leave the door open to a potential England call up.

O’Neill said: “I spoke to both Jack and his father and I think Jack just didn’t want to make his mind up at this stage. He wanted to complete the season at Aston Villa - there are some important games for them coming up - and he wants to make his decision at some time in the future.”

While disappointed with Grealish’s decision, O’Neill said he did not consider it a snub: “No. I don’t take it personally. I think Jack is pretty firm in what he wants to do and that’s fine. He has been doing very well recently and it would have been nice, but that’s Jack’s decision. I spoke to the father and said I would like to have brought him into it, but of course you don’t want to force someone who might not want to make that decision just at this moment.”

Galvin's Shinpads - 13/5/2015 11:03

Yup, he's passed over the invite to join up with the Senior squad.

In my eyes, that should be the last of it.

what, you'd give up on him?!

Spursex - 13/5/2015 11:50

I feel he should know what he wants at his age. Being called up for your country is an honour. Stephen Ireland messed about and he is now in international exile, of his own making!
Grealish has been brought through the Irish under age system but to snub a senior invite is an insult.
A better excuse was needed. But of course he couldn't use an injury, as he has an FA cup final place to fight for.

Good luck to him and his England career.

Galvin's Shinpads - 13/5/2015 12:20

I feel he should know what he wants at his age. Being called up for your country is an honour. Stephen Ireland messed about and he is now in international exile, of his own making!
Grealish has been brought through the Irish under age system but to snub a senior invite is an insult.
A better excuse was needed. But of course he couldn't use an injury, as he has an FA cup final place to fight for.

He's young, he's got to focus on what's left of the season, he may just have been advised to put it aside, he may well be conflicted; brought up in England, all his mates are English etc etc.

I'd really give him the benefit if the doubt if I were Irish, his Dad ill have something to say about al this, so I really wouldn't take the sort of stance you're taking now...if anything, I'd redouble the efforts to get him to commit.

People read so much into nothing. He wants to play the U21's later this year for Ireland, so he's not making any commitments until then. That's hardly a bad thing, is it?

Spursex - 13/5/2015 12:30

Galvin's Shinpads - 13/5/2015 12:20

He's young, he's got to focus on what's left of the season, he may just have been advised to put it aside, he may well be conflicted; brought up in England, all his mates are English etc etc.

I'd really give him the benefit if the doubt if I were Irish, his Dad ill have something to say about al this, so I really wouldn't take the sort of stance you're taking now...if anything, I'd redouble the efforts to get him to commit.

I think the FAI and O'Neill have made their feelings known to Grealish and his family.
I don't think it's possible for them to double their efforts

This is the pernicious influence of Sherwood at work. Dim is so persuasive that for a whole five minuets Nabil Bentalab thought he was form Croyden. If I was in that Villa squad I'd get hold of one of them helmets Magneto wears in the X-men keep Dim out of your head.

spurdon - 14/5/2015 11:35

This is the pernicious influence of Sherwood at work. Dim is so persuasive that for a whole five minuets Nabil Bentalab thought he was form Croyden. If I was in that Villa squad I'd get hold of one of them helmets Magneto wears in the X-men keep Dim out of your head.

That's odd, seeing as how this has been rumbling on for months.

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/grealish-absence-u21-squad-casts-doubt-ireland-future

By Irish Post on November 6, 2014

The 19-year-old refused the opportunity to join Noel King’s U21 side yesterday and has decided to opt out of the two friendly games against the USA and Russia in Marbella later this month.

I know you don't like Tim, but please, don't let that stop you engaging your brain before speaking. It just makes you look stupid and petty.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 14/5/2015 14:41

spurdon - 14/5/2015 11:35

That's odd, seeing as how this has been rumbling on for months.

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/grealish-absence-u21-squad-casts-doubt-ireland-future

By Irish Post on November 6, 2014

The 19-year-old refused the opportunity to join Noel King’s U21 side yesterday and has decided to opt out of the two friendly games against the USA and Russia in Marbella later this month.

I know you don't like Tim, but please, don't let that stop you engaging your brain before speaking. It just makes you stupid and petty.

I know you don't do humor, if you took any of that seriously. Here is some help the reference to Magneto a super powered concentration camp survivor, and leader of the "Brotherhood of Evil mutants" is a big old clue that we have stepped away from a substantive factual debate. It is allowed you know, because some of us on this forum don't resort to name calling and treating eleven men kicking plastic like it is all important. Try to enjoy others and be less hateful you will live longer. That YOU have temerity to call people stupid is hilarious.