Who stays? | Vital Football

Who stays?

crooktownmags

Vital Squad Member
Assuming this takeover goes ahead which players should stay as part of a squad good enough to challenge for a top 4 place?

I will start with my, no doubt controversial, view:

Dubravka - as backup keeper
St. Maximum - again as a squad player

That's all folks

I can see miggy staying.

I think he has started to get to grips with the Premiership and with some better players around him think he could shine.

Just my opinion though and agree with the two choices above.

So many factors that are unknown still which would influence any decisions . Also there are the home grown players rules which I believe means there has to be a minimum of eight players homegrown in the squad . I'd keep the following as part of the squad which would mean at least three more homegrown had to be signed:

Dubravka
Woodman
Lascelles
Schar
Lejeune
Saint Maximin
Hayden
Lazaro
Almiron
Sean Longstaff
Matty Longstaff

I guess a test would be if we offer some of our current squad players for sale, what calibre of club would come in for them? Don't get me wrong I like a few others, Hayden, Schar, Lejeune and maybe one or two more. But would they get a game at a club challenging at the top end? Not sure. Me I have seen very little from either of the Longstaffs to show they are improving enough. Maybe under a better coach and with better influences around them?

I guess a test would be if we offer some of our current squad players for sale, what calibre of club would come in for them? Don't get me wrong I like a few others, Hayden, Schar, Lejeune and maybe one or two more. But would they get a game at a club challenging at the top end? Not sure. Me I have seen very little from either of the Longstaffs to show they are improving enough. Maybe under a better coach and with better influences around them?

Sean Longstaff has most certainly regressed since Mrs Doubtfire became manager.

Lascelles should be the first one out of the door too as he looks even worse this season than he has done in all of his previous poor seasons. He makes Andy O'Brien look like he can turn on sixpence and Bramble like Lothar Matthäus.

In terms of players who should stay should this takeover go through:

Saint-Maximin
Schar
Dubravka

Areas that need strengthened:

GK
LB
RB
CB
LM
RM
CM
LW
RW
CF

Whatever happens, all positions have to be under threat if the alleged new owners are going to run us to our current potential and that's before you factor in their speculated money pool.

On saying this, the new incoming player values will dwarf what we have now but it has to be a slow build. Maybe 3 or 4 per window for the next 5 years or so. Then we're probably going into the world transfer record discussions again.

We're one of only two British clubs to have broken this record in the premier league era and there's talk of us being in the position to do so again. Just can't see the new lot buying a Jaden Sancho or Messi type tho, to play alongside the likes of Manquillo.

With Corona, FFP regulations set to be relaxed somewhat. Along with that a lot of experts are predicting transfer fees will be reduced by as much as a third. Also taking into account the Euros are now next year there will be players who want to move to improve their international prospects (this was possibly the reason we got Rose this season for example). When the window does open this could be the new owners opportunity to drastically alter the squad very quickly. Which also leads me to believe that Bruce will be gone sooner rather than later. Would you really let cabbage heed loose with your shiny new toys ?

I am surprised at the support for Almiron, he is no doubt a canny little player, and he gives his all. But could you see him getting a game for Citeh, the bindippers, even Spurs? Nor for me. As for Lascelles he shouldn't get a game for us now, never mind "the hypothetical new us" with ambition. If we want to challenge the top 3 or 4 we need 15 or so players who could get in their sides.

Sissoko gets a game for Spurs and he's shocking . Wijnaldum has become a vital part of Liverpool's side and he was very much found wanting here. Almiron along with several others have shown they have ability. Newcastle aren't a top four side . We're not going to be competing for those sorts of players yet . We need players to take us towards there.

You look at what Manchester City did. They made a statement signing with Robinho. Then they bought a lot of the league's good players from sides in weaker positions be it league wise or financially (Gareth Barry, Roque Santa Cruz, Kolo Touré, Emmanuel Adebayor, and Joleon Lescott being good examples). They also did some epic trolling of their rivals by nicking Tevez. That was the side that finished 5th then they refined it further.

Dubravka keep as first choice , unless an Allison or equivalent is a signing .

Woodman as one for the future.

Schar
Lejeune
Fernandez
Saint Maximim
Almiron
All of the above are decent enough for the squad

Sean Longstaff
Matty Longstaff
Both local lads who are worth keeping to see how they develop under better coaching staff.

All knowing this will probably be a long process to get to the calibre of the current standard of players at Man City ... I would hope we follow their mould . Gradually improve the standard of players year on year .