Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Danilo

• Phil Foden

• Total voters

Skoorb

Alert Team
So our leader during the most successful period in the club’s history has moved on. We will always remember and value Vincent Kompany’s contribution to the club both on the pitch but also within the dressing room. He has been a talisman, a figurehead and an eloquent spokesperson for Manchester City FC and will be sorely missed......

But life moves on and there is a vacancy to fill - who should be selected to replace him as club captain? Who will have the ability, confidence and strength of character to step up and take in this role?

Do we need one? Is that role defunct now in the age of footballing superstars? Is it better to have a ‘rolling captaincy’ where the responsibilities are shared, where the captaincy rotates based on seniority and/or team selection? After all, we had to cover the gaps when Vinnie was absent through injury that way.

Pep Guardiola will, I think, already have made his decision but who do VMC think could step into Vinnie’s shoes? Who should be our leader on and off the pitch?

10 days to vote. One selection only.

?

I vote for KDB. His footballing abilities are not in doubt - a first pick when fit; he has the experience and maturity to lend him a commanding presence - I think he is one of the leaders in the dressing room; he is eloquent and would be a great ambassador for the club......I think he can do the job :thumbup:

It was difficult to choose between KDB and Merlin. It would be nice for Merlin in his last season, but I've gone for KDB for pretty much the same reasons as Skoorb.

I have gone for Fernandinho, he always seems the calmest person on the field he can see what is going on around him and has that football brain on him.

I would not like KDB to be burdened with the title as it may affect his game and he can be quite emotional at times, David Silva I do not think is strong enough and has had family problems which have been resolved although I suspect that Pep will ask him first.

The outsider would be Aymeric Laporte he will be immense in defence and could be a great Captain, but not just yet.

I have to say I am a fan of a CB as a captain, I think it is a great position to see the whole game and influence things from the back. I would love to see Stonsey in the role but am not sure he has the commanding presence needed. Laporte may grow into the role - calm & measured, he has potential for sure.

Good point about Kev - I wouldn't like his play to be affected for sure.

Every great team has several leaders and voices that command respect among the squad & I see kdb as one of those.

Pep may indeed see DS21 as the natural 'bridge' between the old guard and the new guns though.

I have to say I am a fan of a CB as a captain, I think it is a great position to see the whole game and influence things from the back. I would love to see Stonsey in the role but am not sure he has the commanding presence needed. Laporte may grow into the role - calm & measured, he has potential for sure.

Good point about Kev - I wouldn't like his play to be affected for sure.

Every great team has several leaders and voices that command respect among the squad & I see kdb as one of those.

Pep may indeed see DS21 as the natural 'bridge' between the old guard and the new guns though.

DS21 did have the role when Vincent was absent and the then Ferna, but i take your point about leaders and VK4 is a hard act to follow, even when injured he was always there on match day.

I voted for Ferny. I like the thought of either KDB or The Magician, but I don't see either one as the vocal leader we need. Personally, I prefer the cap to come from the defensive side of the squad.

KDB for me but like others I’m hesitant about picking anyone for the captaincy as too many times it has affected their game.
My finger was wandering to Fernandinho but went back to KDB.

I voted for the Doctor, an automatic choice when fit and leads by example covering every blade of grass like Alan Ball did. At the end of the day, Pep gets to choose.

The decision is made......step up El Mago

Pep Guardiola confirms that the inimitable David Silva will captain Manchester City

“David Silva will be our captain,” he affirmed. “Then Fernandinho, Kevin De Bruyne and Sergio Aguero.

“The captain has to be what he is. He knows the Club, the Premier League… he has big respect.

“(To be a good captain), he has to be himself. There will be no problems.

“Normally, the captain is the life of the locker room – they know each other; they have fun a lot when they are together.

“There will be no problem. He will be a good captain.”