Who next? | Page 97 | Vital Football

Who next?

History has shown that in football you should never pre-judge a player or a manager. They may fail elsewhere but succeed with another club, for a whole host of reasons, some we don’t know about. It’s worked both ways for us, usually the wrong way.
I have huge respect for MA; he followed an almost legendary management team that had achieved so much in the previous three years; his intention was to change the whole make-up of the team (a huge gamble some thought at the time); he stepped down potentially from a position in the top two divisions and we knew nothing about him. So far he has worked wonders and given us great encouragement. The only niggle at the back of my mind is that John Schofield season (sorry for the negativity). However, I have every belief that will not happen again.

History has shown that in football you should never pre-judge a player or a manager. They may fail elsewhere but succeed with another club, for a whole host of reasons, some we don’t know about. It’s worked both ways for us, usually the wrong way.
I have huge respect for MA; he followed an almost legendary management team that had achieved so much in the previous three years; his intention was to change the whole make-up of the team (a huge gamble some thought at the time); he stepped down potentially from a position in the top two divisions and we knew nothing about him. So far he has worked wonders and given us great encouragement. The only niggle at the back of my mind is that John Schofield season (sorry for the negativity). However, I have every belief that will not happen again.
If you’re offering me a John Schofield season repeat then I’ll take it right now

if he keeps doing well, bringing on the young players, team scoring goals and playing it around nicely on the grass... my worry would be around the time the championship clubs start sacking managers. (unfortunately lcfc would have to be interested in the compensation money, in the current business climate)

Since we're looking back at what sages we are, this is what I said at the time.

I've just listened to the podcast with Appleton. Living in Oxford, I'm familiar with how well he's regarded by the locals. He comes across as enthusiastic yet pragmatic, and I reckon he would be a good fit with our current crop of players.

He obviously has aspirations higher than L1, but is probably realistic enough to realise that he needs to rebuild his reputation at a lower level. I'd be more than happy with his appointment.

This bit didn't age so well:
I reckon he would be a good fit with our current crop of players