Who next? | Page 9 | Vital Football

Who next?

Lincoln must be an attractive job at the moment, so I am sure we will not be short of applications. We have a good football team and backroom setup.

The Cowleys have been amazing in their time at Lincoln. They will have a big job on at Huddersfield though. They haven't had any say in this Huddersfield team, the transfer window has closed and they are left with a team of "big" players until the end of the year. Will these players listen to them and go along with them?? How will the Huddersfield players look at the Cowleys?? Successful football managers or PE teachers?? It will be a challenge. There will be a lot of pressure to improve results too, and quickly. It is a different kettle of fish to the situation at Lincoln, that is for sure.

Huddersfield do have parachute payments, but they are only a top ten Championship team at best. I cannot see Huddersfield establishing themselves in the Premier League. However, as a stepping stone to the West Ham job?

I wonder if Nigel Adkins is the man for the job, maybe until the end of the season. He is a very personable and positive person who would keep the city and wider area on side. He has had promotions with Scunthorpe and Southampton, so knows the league. He did well at Hull but less so at Reading and Sheffield United. He lives locally too.

Just a thought, but he is certainly a safe pair of hands in the short term.

UTI

So sad to be even discussing this but we need to look at someone like Pete Wild at Halifax a fantastic win rate at the clubs he has managed / caretaker so far and only 34. Up and coming possibly in the Cowley mould. Or maybe Alan Dowson at Woking a bit older at 49 but had a terrific win rate at Woking and Hampton and Richmond. Both have real work ethic.

Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe - Although I don't think he will come tbh

We are a top end league one club now. These guys would be out of their depth.

As stated by just about everyone, this next appointment is going to be huge for the club. It's a bit like when Fergie left Manure, who could follow that. I think we should take our time to get the best man in. J McCoombe is on point with the Cowley method, so things won't have to be drastically changed. But what we do need is someone who is up and coming, used to success and has new good ideas and a decent backroom staff. Such a difficult decision and I really don't envy Clive. I wouldn't have Ainsworth as he doesn't seem to have a plan B and is he really that good a manager? Just because he has affiliations with Lincoln doesn't make him the ideal candidate. Parkinson couldn't really do much with what he had, so think he is out, plus his win rate is pretty poor.
I would have to say Michael Flynn looks decent, but would he come?
I would again look down rather than up, Woking manager? Halifax manager? Solihull Moors? Success breeds success, and remember our most successful managers started out as PE teachers.
Whatever happens it's sad but exciting times to be an Imp.

Underwhelmed with most of the names mentioned other than Ainsworth. Don't like the idea of in house. Too tough an act to follow. Maybe have to be a curve ball, an up and coming NL manager?

So your answer to being underwhelmed with the names so far mentioned, is to make a different underwhelming choice

Not sure why Ryan Lowe is being mentioned on here. He got L1 players promoted from L2 with an unsustainable budget.
People saying Flynn is a long ball merchant. Maybe that's all he can afford. I certainly remember that!
I'd take Flynn or Sir Gareth. Sol also did ok at Macc. Whoever we get, I hope we continue to be prepared in such a detailed and diligent manner for every game.

Loans being recalled and the mindset of players might add to our potential problems if we get the next appointment wrong.

Flynn favourite with Sir Gareth and Parkinson just behind .
Nathan Jones up there too.
Mick Harford is an interesting shout, Tommo as assistant?

I'd much rather we look to someone successful lower down the leagues, rather than a tired old name from the merrygoround.

This. I wish I knew who that was, hopefully the likes of Clive and Liam do! Tim Flowers semi interesting but not really sure on the money to success ratio at solihull?

Don't believe our current set up will look at the merry go round. Fingers crossed.