Who next? | Vital Football

Who next?

APHLCFC

Vital Reserves Team
Now that it seems certain the Cowleys are leaving who do we want as their replacement?

For me you could look at three different categories.

The up and coming younger man from our level or below. The likes of Duff at Cheltenham, Flynn at Newport or Ainsworth. Could we afford them? Would they be interested?

The out of work managers. The likes of Rowett, Adkins, Parkinson. Are they the right sort of fit for our club, would they want to much?

Or the first timer, someone coming from a Premier League coaching set up ,a Nathan Jones at Luton for example.

So sad to be even discussing this but we need to look at someone like Pete Wild at Halifax a fantastic win rate at the clubs he has managed / caretaker so far and only 34. Up and coming possibly in the Cowley mould. Or maybe Alan Dowson at Woking a bit older at 49 but had a terrific win rate at Woking and Hampton and Richmond. Both have real work ethic.

Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe - Although I don't think he will come tbh

Ainsworth will be the obvious link but I can't see that being a go-er. Wycombe have come into some money with their new owners, they've started well and he's settled down south.

I'd be happy with Mike Flynn, who I believe would be willing to move on. But I have concerns over his style of play.

Can't say any of the managers currently out of work are particularly appealing. Phil Parkinson, Gary Rowett, Nigel Adkins? Meh.

Quite a few were rightly impressed by what Sol Campbell did at Macc.
Not sure he's had enough managerial experience, and personally I'm never sure about a 'big' name.

As someone mentioned in a post above, some decent looking managers in the NL , but maybe going straight into Div 3 would be a jump to far . Maybe take the route via Div 4 . To me impossible to foresee when Cowley goes although imo after xmas , so depends who is available it that time

Gareth Ainsworth would be my first choice (as many others no doubt), but he's kind of in the same bracket as the Cowleys, i.e. probably eyeing up and deserving of a stab at the Championship. Has also been settled down south for a good number of years and would therefore probably need a mega offer to come back to SB.

If Ainsworth is a non-starter, I'd be looking at Sol Campbell or Flynn from Newport.

What desperately sad news though. I hope the fuckwit who told Cowley to f-off to Sheffield on Saturday is pleased with himself. ******.

Sol campbell... no thanks. he may have done surprisingly well at Macclesfield but he comes across as very aloof and arrogant in the extreme.

Gareth Ainsworth would be my first choice (as many others no doubt), but he's kind of in the same bracket as the Cowleys, i.e. probably eyeing up and deserving of a stab at the Championship. Has also been settled down south for a good number of years and would therefore probably need a mega offer to come back to SB.

If Ainsworth is a non-starter, I'd be looking at Sol Campbell or Flynn from Newport.

What desperately sad news though. I hope the fuckwit who told Cowley to f-off to Sheffield on Saturday is pleased with himself. ******.
The geezer who shouted that probably hasn't a clue he did it, away with the fairies in all probability

As someone mentioned in a post above, some decent looking managers in the NL , but maybe going straight into Div 3 would be a jump to far . Maybe take the route via Div 4 . To me impossible to foresee when Cowley goes although imo after xmas , so depends who is available it that time

Maybe, but DC has effectively just jumped 2 divisions - from L2 to Championship with just 7 games in L1.

Gary Rowett for me otherwise a league 2 manager Lowe maybe ?, Anything lower may be too big a jump anything higher may cost too much which maybe perhaps counts Rowett out , Ainsworth no as Wycombe on a high and he will be going as well ? Sol campbell i really think he did well but would he fit ? maybe not,

Will be a interesting time and i hope for the Boards and clubs sake the fans stay loyal,

What we have seen in the last 3 yrs may never be repeated however with the squad we have and the right appointment who knows,

As Jimmy said Footballs a funny old game

I doubt such a comment from a dick-head would be the deciding factor in this!
Anyway, life goes on.