Who next? | Page 95 | Vital Football

Who next?

A good appointment?

Who knows?

Am I optimistic?

Oh yeah!

I reckon the club has pulled a rabbit out of a red and white hat, because I was curiously ill at ease with Ainsworth and especially with Flynn.

Appleton was not on my personal radar to begin with, but that is not at all surprising because I know sod all about football even after fifty years of watching it.

However, Appleton was obviously not only on the radar of the recruitment team, but at the sharp end of it. That gives me a lot of confidence, because they got their last appointment astonishingly right.

Welcome, Michael; do not be daunted by what has happened before.

First - a warm welcome to the Imps Mr Appleton. For the sake of my beloved club I sincerely wish you every success. Heard plenty of good things about you and been impressed with a lot of what you said in a blog interview. Also, the reaction of Portsmouth & Oxford fans tends to indicate they think very highly of you. I'm not one to judge or wet my knickers with excitement. The proof is in the pudding, or as someone else says "results - end of". So, I'll just sit quietly and watch how things develop as this season unfolds.
Second, I do not understand how some people on here can have any bad feelings about the Cowleys. If they had left us still in the NL after three more years of dross I would wholly agree with you. The fact is, regardless of the circumstances of them going (& I tend to have my own views about their reasons for going), they resurrected our club and gave us three of the most brilliant years we have ever experienced in our lifetime as Imps supporters - and I say that as one who experienced the Taylor, Murphy and Alexander years first hand. For that I will be forever grateful to the Cowley brothers and thank them for their wonderful contribution to our beautiful club's history and development. As a realist I accept that football is an ever evolving industry and I can only wish them every success at Huddersfield. However, their time is history and the time is now right to get firmly behind MApp and the players so lets do that. I have changed my avatar (thought that was a film ?) but not out of any disrespect for DC, only because its a new page in our history & time to move on. UTI ??

After this appointment I get the feeling that it could be the start of another special chapter in our history. Perhaps we will get another chance to visit Wembley again and if so I will fly over from Down Under once more as the last visit was so memorable.

However, Appleton was obviously not only on the radar of the recruitment team, but at the sharp end of it. That gives me a lot of confidence, because they got their last appointment astonishingly right.

Maybe he wasn't on the radar and he is the one that Scully hinted at as the surprise due to assuming he would be "out of reach.*

*can't remember the actual wording used

I reckon the club has pulled a rabbit out of a red and white hat, because I was curiously ill at ease with Ainsworth and especially with Flynn.

Me too, we’ve moved on from being Div 4 long ball merchants to a more refined on the deck Tier 3 type .... which I fear these two would’ve taken us back to.

The future is a tad exciting to say the least.

After this appointment I get the feeling that it could be the start of another special chapter in our history. Perhaps we will get another chance to visit Wembley again and if so I will fly over from Down Under once more as the last visit was so memorable.

Hope the 2nd Wembley trip comes about for you and all of us !

And that is probably the most realistic target we can have in the coming couple of years or so.
Promotion is likely to be dominated by the clutch of "bigger clubs" in our division...such as Ipswich, Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth, even Bolton for next season, plus the teams that will keep coming down from Championship with their parachute payments. It will be a big ask to grab a promotion slot off one of those clubs, of course never impossible.
But a play off final might just happen or a second Trophy final.

But a nice steady settling in as a League One club will suffice I'm sure, with one or two cup glory nights thrown in...!

Oxford fan:

"So, from losing the Cowley brothers to appointing Appleton, just two weeks have elapsed. A few clubs should sit up and take notice of that. How to find, interview and appoint a manager and get on with the job in hand. Ring any bells?"

About 10 days but it's certainly been one of the quicker turnarounds,
Although quick is not always best, I saw Oldham appointed in record time. I can’t imagine their fans react to that one

A good appointment?

Who knows?

Am I optimistic?

Oh yeah!

Appleton was not on my personal radar to begin with, but that is not at all surprising because I know sod all about football even after fifty years of watching it.

Welcome, Michael; do not be daunted by what has happened before.
He doesn't look the kind of character to be daunted by anything.

Any appointment is a gamble in this industry but seems to be a good fit to me. Haven’t seen much mention of length of contract (& I know doesn’t mean much in football) but I think it indicates MA is prepared to hang around but also how as a club we’ve developed as we wouldn’t have seen such a contract length pre Clive

Me too, we’ve moved on from being Div 4 long ball merchants to a more refined on the deck Tier 3 type .... which I fear these two would’ve taken us back to.

The future is a tad exciting to say the least.

My hope is Appleton will add a bit of physicality to our current squad. Building a side capable of being right at the top L1 was always going to take a few windows and luck. DC added some guile in the summer but at the price of physicality.

To be serious promotion contenders you need to be able to out muscle sides as well as play "pretty" football.

The better sides are those which have the physical prowess of a 2017 Lincoln (Woodyard, Raggett, Waterfall, Rhead) but with players that add better technical skill to enable them to play a more sophisticated style.

I think DC would have addressed this in time as funds allowed. Appleton is also an intelligent man and will do the same. You only have to see a picture of him to know that.

Anyone who thinks the Cowleys are long ball merchants at heart don't understand much. They are pragmatic intelligent managers that put whatever will be most effective, first.

Style is a preoccupation for the vain and rich. Effectiveness and success is the aim of the intelligent, with style a bi-product.

Our new manager was selected by an intelligent man and this gives me great optimism.

Haven’t seen much mention of length of contract (& I know doesn’t mean much in football) but I think it indicates MA is prepared to hang around but also how as a club we’ve developed as we wouldn’t have seen such a contract length pre Clive
I guess a lot of this is protecting our investment again. Appleton has already managed at some of the bigger clubs so if we start (or carry on) doing well it wouldn't be a surprise to see some larger clubs willing to try him again.

I guess a lot of this is protecting our investment again. Appleton has already managed at some of the bigger clubs so if we start (or carry on) doing well it wouldn't be a surprise to see some larger clubs willing to try him again.
May be it is our way getting investment. Invest in a manager and sell him on for a lot of money.

95 pages... i wonder on what page and by who MA was first mentioned?

(Obviously cant be bothered to check myself)

Ha ha very droll in a self-serving sort of way.

Initial reactions in the first couple of hours after you mentioned Appleton's name - so I'd be interested to know what they think now?

"Appleton would be a no from me"

"no to Appleton"

"Appleton seems a bit of a flaky individual to me"

"Can't think of a single reason we would want him"

"Appleton smacks of 3rd or 4th choice at very best and not the kind of manager who will lead, inspire, motivate and energise the team, club and fans"

Ha ha very droll in a self-serving sort of way.

Initial reactions in the first couple of hours after you mentioned Appleton's name - so I'd be interested to know what they think now?

"Appleton would be a no from me"

"no to Appleton"

"Appleton seems a bit of a flaky individual to me"

"Can't think of a single reason we would want him"

"Appleton smacks of 3rd or 4th choice at very best and not the kind of manager who will lead, inspire, motivate and energise the team, club and fans"

Lol. I think to be fair to people, that was a gut reaction. I think after a bit more research and listening to him opinions started to change.

95 pages... i wonder on what page and by who MA was first mentioned?

(Obviously cant be bothered to check myself)

First mention i can find is on page 23, post #451, Domski...in a list of latest odds...Appleton a long way down the list at 26/1....now that would have been a top bet for anyone at the time !!

First mention i can find is on page 23, post #451, Domski...in a list of latest odds...Appleton a long way down the list at 26/1....now that would have been a top bet for anyone at the time !!

And not until page 49, post #967 from RedImp73 does Appleton finally get mentioned properly and then its to say he has just appeared at 6/1 in the odds....