Who next? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Who next?

Danny is a decent guy, feel sure he will help Clive in recommending a successor.

Would expect the compensation discussions to cover who of the background team will follow Danny to Huddersfield, which might rule McCombe out.

Flynn from Newport already being touted apparently. This kind of appointment makes me a bit nervous... a guy who's done really well at a club he has strong connections with - an ex player and ex coach there I believe... not unlike the Jones at Luton scenario... or wait for it... Tilson at Southend!!

Don't get me wrong... the guy has done a marvellous job. I just hope it's not because he's been riding the crest of being a Newport Man and that he's an excellent football manager who could transfer his skills to a club on the opposite side of the country he has no connection or history with whatsoever.

Underwhelmed with most of the names mentioned other than Ainsworth. Don't like the idea of in house. Too tough an act to follow. Maybe have to be a curve ball, an up and coming NL manager?

Tim Flowers, done a similar job at Solihul to what Cowley did at Braintree. Not sure if he's had some good money behind him though but he's played at a higher level to offset his lack of league managerial experience.

Tim Flowers, done a similar job at Solihul to what Cowley did at Braintree. Not sure if he's had some good money behind him though but he's played at a higher level to offset his lack of league managerial experience.
Lots of money. Their Chairman is an ex-Oxford guy.

Is he mates with Chris Sutton?

Problem is Chris Moyses gave plenty of notice and that gave us plenty of prep time to find the new management - it also coincided with the end of a season.
True, but I can't imagine we haven't been keeping tabs on managers because it's been obvious since about 2 months after they were appointed that we'd be needing a new one soon (albeit they've hung around longer than most expected).

In-house rarely works .... Taylor-Kerr, Murphy-Pickering spring to mind.

Alexander was technically an 'in-house' appointment and was superb. Schofield for half a season played the best football I've seen at SB (and some dreadful stuff the season after with 94 year old Steve Torpey spearheading the attack!).

Could be that someone like McCombe gets a caretaker role for a few weeks to see how he goes. You'd have to think though that DC will be coming back for the entire sports science/stats staff. Make no bones about it... this is going to be a very tricky appointment to get right.