Alert Team
So after the transfer window, we now all know our 22 + 3 as follows:

Lloris, Hart, Gazza
Aurier, Doherty, Davies, Reguilon
Toby, Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga
Winks, Hojberg, Sissoko, Gedson, Gio, Ndombele
Son, Bale, Dele, Bergwijn, Lamela, Moura
Kane, Vinicius

Everyone is fit and raring to go for a big game. All you have to do is pick 18 and tell the others that they haven't made the match day squad.

So which 7 get the bad news and why?

If say everyone was always fit and available I think the odd ones out would always be a mix of: Gazza, Aurier,Sanchez Gedson, Tang, Davies, Moura, Lamela, Vini, Sissoko, Winks. Lucas. simply because for me they are not first team starters!

It's a squad game.

Gazza. Right now you are number 3 but that can change.
Aurier. Your reliability has improved and we still need you.
Sanchez. You're a spaz.
Winks. Stick around there will be injuries.
Moura. You need a rest.
Dele. You should have gone to PSG.
Gedson. Stick around you've earned an opportunity when the time is right.

Leave out - Gazzaniga, Tanganga, Winks, Gedson, Bergwijn, Moura, Vinicius

My preferred eleven for 'big games' currently would be;

Lloris
Doherty, Dier, Alderweireld, Reguilon
Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso
Bale, Kane, Son

Bench options

Sissoko, Aurier and Davies for their experience.
Perm any two from four out of Lamela, Moura, Bergwijn and Alli. My preferences would be Lamela and Alli.
Vinicius not needed if all fit, plenty of goal potential from Kane, Son and Bale.
Don't fancy Gazzaniga, Winks and Gedson much,
Tanganga unlucky to be left out.

If say everyone was always fit and available I think the odd ones out would always be a mix of: Gazza, Aurier,Sanchez Gedson, Tang, Davies, Moura, Lamela, Vini, Sissoko, Winks. Lucas. simply because for me they are not first team starters!

Which for the avoidance of doubt doesn't mean they can't do a good job....But not defo starters If everyone available

As in any game , there are going to be “Horses for courses “.
There are going to be suspensions , injuries , loss of form , tiredness, rotation , personal issues , any number of reasons .
Jose can’t be expected to box them all in neat piles , just brought out on match day in perfect condition .
Even on the premise that everyone is fit and raring to go , it still doesn’t come down to picking the preferred “ best “ players .,
They all have different qualities , some have stadiums they have never played well at , other clubs have players who can put our stars “ in their pocket “.
It’s a good question , but I don’t think it has an answer . Too many vagaries .
Serge played really well against manure last weekend . If we draw them in the cup, and Jose selects Doherty , who then has a poor game , after playing well in the previous game , but it’s seen that he had a poor game the last time he played at Old Trafford ..........

, Its probably why Jose is paid so much .

To sum up ......... Fino ....... fucked if I know !

I'm sitting very comfortably on my fence joining Walt with the horses for courses.

Jose will use a bit of muscle in Sissoko when he wants to beef up the midfield against certain teams.
Or he will choose the experience of Toby when we are needing to sit in deep and on other occassions use Sanchez when we need a bit more pace to deal with things.
Or he'll play 2 CMs alongside NDombele if he is concerned about the defensive side to his game.
Will Bale be regularly fit enough to be a guaranteed starter? But with his quality when fit the manager must find a way of getting him in the team somehow.
It's very tempting to say the Son Kane Bale line up but we don't know how that is going to impact the midfield or our defensive structure that Jose will obviously find important.
Maybe it will have a stronger midfield 2 pair with Lo Celso in order to allow the front 3 to do their thing.
Maybe we'll only see the Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo celso, bale, Kane and Son combination when we are chasing a game or maybe playing weaker opposition.
Who knows if Ndombele can continue to earn Jose's trust in his work rate and defensive effort.
Does Jose see Ndombele and Lo Celso as competing for the same spot?
Does Jose still rate Lucas? He seemed almost like he couldn't be dropped under Jose. But has that changes given Lamelas form and the arrival of bale?
Will Jose unlike Poch be able to sub Kane and if not is there any point in Vinicius being in the bench?

So many hypotheticals...

The certs to start when fit have got to be Lloris, Dier, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Kane, Son, Bale.
Likely starters most of the time would then be Doherty, Regulion, Sanchez and hopefully Ndombele but likely winks.
Subs; Hart, Toby, Davies, Ndombele, Lamela, Lucas, Vinicius/Sissoko

The unlucky 7: Gazzaniga, Aurier, Tanganga, Sissoko/Vinicius, Gedson, Dele, Bergwijn

Can't make my mind up on if it would be Vinicius or Sissoko on the bench. Probably Sissoko as Kane wouldn't be subbed off for Vinicius if we are chasing a goal.

Luckily for Jose given recent years many of them will be injured at the same time so it will be an easy team to pick!

Last edited:
I'm sitting very comfortably on my fence joining Walt with the horses for courses.

Jose will use a bit of muscle in Sissoko when he wants to beef up the midfield against certain teams.
Or he will choose the experience of Toby when we are needing to sit in deep and on other occassions use Sanchez when we need a bit more pace to deal with things.
Or he'll play 2 CMs alongside NDombele if he is concerned about the defensive side to his game.
Will Bale be regularly fit enough to be a guaranteed starter? But with his quality when fit the manager must find a way of getting him in the team somehow.
It's very tempting to say the Son Kane Bale line up but we don't know how that is going to impact the midfield or our defensive structure that Jose will obviously find important.
Maybe it will have a stronger midfield 2 pair with Lo Celso in order to allow the front 3 to do their thing.
Maybe we'll only see the Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo celso, bale, Kane and Son combination when we are chasing a game or maybe playing weaker opposition.
Who knows if Ndombele can continue to earn Jose's trust in his work rate and defensive effort.
Does Jose see Ndombele and Lo Celso as competing for the same spot?
Does Jose still rate Lucas? He seemed almost like he couldn't be dropped under Jose. But has that changes given Lamelas form and the arrival of bale?
Will Jose unlike Poch be able to sub Kane and if not is there any point in Vinicius being in the bench?

So many hypotheticals...

The certs to start when fit have got to be Lloris, Dier, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Kane, Son, Bale.
Likely starters most of the time would then be Doherty, Regulion, Sanchez and hopefully Ndombele but likely winks.
Subs; Hart, Toby, Davies, Ndombele, Lamela, Lucas, Vinicius/Sissoko

The unlucky 7: Gazzaniga, Aurier, Tanganga, Sissoko/Vinicius, Gedson, Dele, Bergwijn

Can't make my mind up on if it would be Vinicius or Sissoko on the bench. Probably Sissoko as Kane wouldn't be subbed off for Vinicius if we are chasing a goal.

Luckily for Jose given recent years many of them will be injured at the same time so it will be an easy team to pick!

Good post. I hope that Jose doesn't see Lo Celso and Ndombele as competing for a place. I'd like to see Hojbjerg, Ndombele and Lo Celso in the same side, whereby Lo Celso can operate further up the pitch than we've often seen previously.

Love some of the answers. I posted this article because the first thing I do when the 18 is announced is look at who has missed out. It's intriguing, as is the composition of the subs bench. Of course, it's somewhat of a trick question as you always rotate.

I would also say the pattern recently is Jose using 4 of his subs on GK and defenders. We haven't see him put Tanganga and Davies on the bench knowing that they can cover the entire back four between them. That could mean telling one of the 3 main centre halves that they'll miss out completely.

The second dilemma is that Harry is still being over used and it will now be more natural to withdraw Bale in the second half because of his age.

If I had to pick that big game squad right now, I would go with..

Team: Lloris, Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Reguilon, Hojberg, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son, Kane, Bale
Subs: Hart, Davies, Tanganga, Winks, Dele, Lamela, Bergwijn

Missing out: Gazza, Aurier, Toby, Sissoko, Gedson, Moura, Vinicius

That is really tough on a couple of those guys that have played well and don't make the squad. I don't know enough about Vinicius either just to throw him in.

I am so glad that the squad and manager managed to get us Europa League. It will be the only way we can keep everyone happy in my opinion.

Jose will pick the 18 on fitness, form, strengths of the opposition and an eye on upcoming games.

However currently my 18
(with everyone fit) would be:

Lloris
Aurier Sanchez Dier Reguilon
Lo Celso Hojbjerg Ndombele
Bale Kane Son

Hart, Davies, Alderweireld, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, Vinicius

Reasoning is,

1. After Aurier’s performance at OT and Doherty’s failure to hit the heights shall we say, he’s got improving to do to get back in the team.

2. At present we need Sanchez at CB with either Dier or Toby. When Dier and Toby play together we sit too deep and can’t play a higher line which frustrates the shit out of me.

3. Although that midfield 3 hasn’t started together it is our best 3 and I can’t wait to see it play regularly.

4. Bale will start once fit.

5. The bench will always provide balance but should be stocked with players on form, for me Davies and Alderweireld provide the cover at the back. Sissoko and Winks for the midfield 3 as Lo Celso and Ndombele hardly finish games at present. Sissoko also covers RB. In the two forward positions Lamela warrants his slot on recent form and effort and we’ve simply waited what seems an eternity to sign a CF option, not having him on the bench now is criminal IMO. Tough on Doherty, Tanganga, Gedson, Dele and Bergwijn and harsh on Moura but it will hopefully generate competition to keep everyone pushing.

Rotation will take care of the issue for most games, but so much depends on how far we get in the Cup competitions.

The fact that for the first time in years we have a squad capable of suffering 3-4 maybe even 5 or 6 rotations is a declaration of intent by the club, finally and at long last, it's clear to me the club can expand and maintain a much higher wage run.

I see no point at this state debating who will start or not, as we'll really only know that when the squad is settled and is playing to it's true potential - and when that happens the 'starters' might well surprise a few of us.

I can follow what ex said, plus add horses for courses, I think JM will do what he is highly paid to do, pick the team to suit the opposition.

I am not even going to try and name who will and will not be playing, though I do admit its a "naming game" for discussion and a bit of fun.

I do also believe that we all know our strongest team, its our opinions, but will JM agree with us, I suppose we just have to wait and see.

I can follow what ex said, plus add horses for courses, I think JM will do what he is highly paid to do, pick the team to suit the opposition.

I am not even going to try and name who will and will not be playing, though I do admit its a "naming game" for discussion and a bit of fun.

I do also believe that we all know our strongest team, its our opinions, but will JM agree with us, I suppose we just have to wait and see.

The point of the OP was if you had to how would you do it? Not what JM or anyone else would do. Think of it in terms of a in a single game situation.

OK I will play....My team...

Lloris
Doherty...Sanchez...Dier...Reguilon
Lo-Celso...Hojbjerg...N'Dombele
Bale...Kane...Son

Bench....
Hart...Davies...Tanganga...Dele...Lamella...Bergwijn...Vinicius

OK I will play....My team...

Lloris
Doherty...Sanchez...Dier...Reguilon
Lo-Celso...Hojbjerg...N'Dombele
Bale...Kane...Son

Bench....
Hart...Davies...Tanganga...Dele...Lamella...Bergwijn...Vinicius
Rememeber the old chant 1-0 to the Arsenal. Well we could have our very own if we played this lot Pomp.

6-5 to the Tottenham.

Good post. I hope that Jose doesn't see Lo Celso and Ndombele as competing for a place. I'd like to see Hojbjerg, Ndombele and Lo Celso in the same side, whereby Lo Celso can operate further up the pitch than we've often seen previously.

If we want to win trophies, that is the only trio good enough. The others are not first 11 quality.