Who is Evans going to sign then..... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Who is Evans going to sign then.....

From what I saw of young Roman Campbell (which was only a couple of games tbf) I was surprised that we let him go. Must be a good reason for that, wonder what it was ? Seemed to be one for the future as he evidenced good skill and compete level on the field of play, maybe he was inconsistent.
Roman Campbell left the club in January, signing for Sittingbourne who he’d been playing for on loan. He then moved onto Folkestone Invicta, his current club.
I guess there’s still a big difference from scoring a few goals in the development squad, and out on loan at a low non league level, to being capable of being a League 1 regular striker.

Roman Campbell left the club in January, signing for Sittingbourne who he’d been playing for on loan. He then moved onto Folkestone Invicta, his current club.
I guess there’s still a big difference from scoring a few goals in the development squad, and out on loan at a low non league level, to being capable of being a League 1 regular striker.

Absolutely. If any of us were able to 100% identify 18 year old candidates that would 100% make the transition easily we`d probably be very wealthy agents. In the case of Roman, I think there were quite a few who watched him and felt he had potential. I watched him in a game where he was up against some highly rated Championship and Premiership youngsters in a competitive cup game (which GFC won) at Blackburn. There was no doubt about it, he was the best player on the pitch on that day. I don`t know Campbell at all, so I can`t make similar observations about his temperament and motivation. Unless a player is overtly lazy week in week out it`s difficult to know whether they possess the required character to attempt, and more importantly, complete, the journey to regular play at L1 or higher. Apparently, seems GFC might have thought that element lacking so let him go. Good luck to him, I hope, for his sake, and if he wants to, he can prove the club wrong...

Many players make that final development after their teenage years. This is something the club are clearly no longer willing to gamble on .Which of course means we could be turning away the odd gem.This might be a mistake but if it is the only way we can compete in the short term we like other clubs will have to do it.There will be other gems out there.Tough call I don't like it .But needs must .There will be loads of very good players dotted around non league clubs for the next few years .Worth spending a little more on scouting of the budget allows. Or even fans watching local games happy to pass on information on a player to our manager on players in Suffolk if he wishes.

Last edited:
Many players make that final development after their teenage years. This is something the club are clearly no longer willing to gamble on .Which of course means we could be turning away the odd gem.This might be a mistake but if it is the only way we can compete in the short term we like other clubs will have to do it.There will be other gems out there.
I don’t think that the need for development is so strong since the under 24 rule was introduced.
Every end of season, Premier League and Championship clubs turf out youngsters by the score.
All that is needed is one or two scouts to keep a close eye on it.
They used to hire scouts to do reports on a self employed basis.
I don’t know if that’s still the case.

In fact what about a link of some sort that can only be read the other end .
IE game watched X v Y no players of interest in my opinion. X v Z ...z had a left winger that might be worth the club looking at etc.I have watched games at non league level for years and there have been.It would have to be something that only the club could access in my view.Having a public forum recommendation would not work .

We in common with most clubs have made some mistakes, Simeon Jackson, Peter Beardsley and many more.

I think Evans decided to commit every spare penny to the first team playing budget, so he released the likes of Roman Campbell so that we could bring in Graham and Roberts who he felt could contribute more to the first team now than Campbell. I don’t think he’s too concerned if Campbell will be a good player in 2/3 years as he needed players ready to make the difference now.

I think Evans decided to commit every spare penny to the first team playing budget, so he released the likes of Roman Campbell so that we could bring in Graham and Roberts who he felt could contribute more to the first team now than Campbell. I don’t think he’s too concerned if Campbell will be a good player in 2/3 years as he needed players ready to make the difference now.
The main problem I foresee with clubs like ours is keeping the 4 to 7 players who are not regularly starting match fit .As it appears there will be less of them it is going to be difficult to organize matches.Perhaps with so many clubs in the same boat clubs could share reserve matches .Gillingham and Orient v Southend and Colchester sort of thing.