Who goes, who stays? | Vital Football

Who goes, who stays?

Hopefully a good % of the older ones out and replaced by "ones of our own"
Agreed, we need the likes of Thomas, Hanson and other Academy products to be moved into the squad, but need a basic spine of experienced players. Would like to see Davies and Pearce given a chance at the back, or even move Wisdom into a more central role. Then we need playmakers in the midfield and a couple of good wide men......................Will be a challenging few months for Rowett, and the rest of the recruitment and back room staff. Hope they are all not going to sit on a beach until August.

There's a lot is shite that needs to be gone but who wants them??
We need some quality to come in but where's the funds coming from??
Are the young 'uns up to it? I have my doubts!!
Any chance we can find some lower league gems?? With our scouting set-up, no frigging chance!! Ditto foreign league players!!
So..............when's the 1st Test Match??

There's a lot is shite that needs to be gone but who wants them??
We need some quality to come in but where's the funds coming from??
Are the young 'uns up to it? I have my doubts!!
Any chance we can find some lower league gems?? With our scouting set-up, no frigging chance!! Ditto foreign league players!!
So..............when's the 1st Test Match??

For me keogh would one of the first out followed in no particular order by Weimann, Nugent, Forsyth, Ledley, Butterfield, Thorne, Anya those should raise some sheckells and free up some wages.

You would never believe we made the playoffs would you Anyone would think we just avoided relegation We all saw what happened when Keogh and Forsyth were dropped I think some fans need to get a grip the side needs tweaking not stupid wholesale changes for the sake of it Tired of hearing about Thomas and Hanson Yes Thomas looks a talent but far from proven he needs to go out and get some league experience Hanson how many chances has he had and done nothing The one who should be in never gets mentioned Callum Guy

You would never believe we made the playoffs would you Anyone would think we just avoided relegation We all saw what happened when Keogh and Forsyth were dropped I think some fans need to get a grip the side needs tweaking not stupid wholesale changes for the sake of it Tired of hearing about Thomas and Hanson Yes Thomas looks a talent but far from proven he needs to go out and get some league experience Hanson how many chances has he had and done nothing The one who should be in never gets mentioned Callum Guy

Yes we made the playoffs, and what exactly was the point? We got played off the park in both games by Fulham.

Still if want another 5 years of being nearly men then I guess yes lets keep this bunch together! For me we need wholesale surgery and that means getting rid of the bottlers, the has beens who are picking up a nice wodge before they retire and those that have tried and failed when put to the test.

I have not been impressed by the recruitment over the past 3 seasons, Rowett this time went for experienced heads and it got us nowhere!

In 2013 I thought after the unlucky loss to QPR. we would kick on, unfortunately we have simply stood still, or arguably declined, despite the millions spent.

If we just tweak then next season will be the same as the others at best, though I doubt we will get top 6 with Stoke, WBA, Swansea, Boro, Fulham/Villa in the mix.

I watched the Villa v Boro matches and, to be honest, I reckon only Carson and Vydra would be challenging for a start!! Same with Fulham!!
Unfortunately, it is likely that we won't be making wholesale changes because of a combination of overbloated contracts, players not wanted by other clubs, and Mel's decision to rein in the spending. Yes, the current squad should be capable of a top half finish but what the play-offs told us in a clear and loud voice 'it is a squad that falls well short of being good enough''!!
It ain't good enough now and will need more than a couple of tweaks here and there to make it good enough next season!!

Because they have proven ovr the past couple of seasons or 5 in keogh's case that they aren't good enough!

I disagree but it’s all about opinions. In my opinion you’ve chosen two of our better players to show the door to first.

It’s a squad that took four points off Cardiff and Villa, shared them with Boro’ and Fulham and looked good till the inexplicable, but now traditional, turn of the year blow up!

It needs three or four ‘hungry’ additions and getting rid of those on ‘over bloated’ contracts...all is not doom and gloom, but I do agree about the recruitment/scouting side of things...been seriously lacking.

Last edited:
GR needs to think about how he wants us to play. I would prefer 1-3-5-2 to the 1-4-2-3-1.

He then needs to work out which players we have that fit and which don't Get rid of those who don't

Promote our own young uns where they are deemed good enough. bring in young hungry players from elsewhere to fill any holes left.

GR also needs to remeber that the game these days is more than just a results based "industry". There is an entertainment eement to it. I would prefer us to NOT defend all game, NOT to give the oppo 3/4 of the possession, NOT to back off, NOT to defend zones in our own penalty area and NOT to hope for a 1-0 off the back of our only counter all game.

I am still 100% Derby but I have not been a fan of the football, even when it was winning points on a very regular basis. More on the front foot please.

Yes we made the playoffs, and what exactly was the point? We got played off the park in both games by Fulham.

Still if want another 5 years of being nearly men then I guess yes lets keep this bunch together! For me we need wholesale surgery and that means getting rid of the bottlers, the has beens who are picking up a nice wodge before they retire and those that have tried and failed when put to the test.

I have not been impressed by the recruitment over the past 3 seasons, Rowett this time went for experienced heads and it got us nowhere!

In 2013 I thought after the unlucky loss to QPR. we would kick on, unfortunately we have simply stood still, or arguably declined, despite the millions spent.

If we just tweak then next season will be the same as the others at best, though I doubt we will get top 6 with Stoke, WBA, Swansea, Boro, Fulham/Villa in the mix.

Swales So what your saying is Pulis should get rid of all his players because they got outplayed twice by Villa at the same stage as us Yet your tipping them for success next year plus theve spent a lot more than us Of course we have to make changes but not the amount you are advocating For a start its not practical either financially or contractually How can you call them bottlers not quite good enough but not bottlers Players like Huddleston Johnson Davies Ledley Vydra Nugent Jerome they have played in promotion winning team The term bottlers is just a lazy way of fans showing their dissapointment

I accept where you're coming from Mista but, personally, I would swap our squad for Boro's without hesitation!!
Yes Mac right i would also swap But fans are not being realistic you can't just get rid of players like swappin to g your car There are contracts that have to adhered to There are fans saying get rid out the kids in The same fans will be the first to start moaning if we lose a few Do you think Warnock Bruce or Pullis would play kids not a chance

Swales simply says what we need and he is right!! But, of course, what we need and what we'll get are 2 different things!!
If Mel is going to mind the pennies then GR will have to manipulate the squad as best he can. He says things are'nt so bad despite losing out in the play-offs but previously he said that the age of the squad was a significant factor in our drop off in form. So he knows that he needs to address that issue at least. Jerome was knackered in the secondleg but on it in the first. That applied to others in the squad hence our playing too deep. I am sorry but this team cannot play on the front foot week in week out and so GR sets the team out accordingly.
I would, as Swale says, carry out a root and branch rebuild and, be assured, that will happen, it's just that it will take longer than us fans will want!!

But mac...you know as well as anyone...what we need and what we can afford are two different things.
I wish we could start with a blank canvas and then build around the three certainties...Carson, Davies and Vydra...but we can’t and neither can most teams.
So, keep those who don’t let us down or do show enough potential - for me the three above plus Wisdom, Keogh, Lawrence, Weimann, Jerome, Lowe and possibly Johnson - and add three or four with mobility, guile and hunger.
We can’t afford a root and branch rebuild, it isn’t going to happen...but those I’ve mentioned - maybe sell Vydra for no less than £12m and use it wisely - joined by a decent left back and a midfield ‘motor’ or two and we’re in with a shout in what is going to be a very tough league.

Latest Rams News