Who do you think you are? | Vital Football

Who do you think you are?

SiggyBrownie

Villa Princess
I recently got my Ancestry DNA results back. I knew I was Irish (hello red hair and freckles) but I had no idea how Irish I was also apparently I have some French in me. Has anyone else done this? Were you surprised at the results?

AncestryDNAStory-Kristy-040419.png

I did one on fitness, best type of training and eating. Was interested but looking back, it was a bit of a folly and waste of money. Technology isn't advanced enough yet for them to be accurate.

Wish I'd done the ancestry one instead. On an economy drive at the moment so can't really justify the £79 cost.

In my house, growing up, your thread title was normally followed by the phrase "the Queen of Sheba?" or "the Lord of the Manor." :grinning: Don't think we are related but it would be nice to find out. Joking aside, it's something I've wanted to do.

My family farmed land in Herefordshire and Shropshire; what were fromerly know as the Marches. Land on the Welsh borders, populated and controlled by a number of Norman warlords following the invasion of 1066. My mothers family name was Fletcher (someone who makes arrows) and my surname is Martin, the most common surname in France. From that background, I would be expecting some Norman and Viking genetics. Think one of my great grandmothers had a Scottish connection too.

I'd imagine it would come back as 100% Irish.

It was interesting visiting the ancestral castles and learning about how they used to throw people into the murder hole. The guide was talking about how savage these people were and I was doing everything I could to suppress cheering. Lol

Snap, was your grandad the guy who my grandad thought was a **** :grinning: (joking obviously).

I'm afraid I only accept wealthy long, lost relatives. If your other grandfather was a Russian oligarch or Arab sheikh, welcome to the family. Otherwise you can piss off. I'm a poverty stricken member of the proletariat. :tophat:

On a serious note, my great grandfather was a tenant farmer at Knapp Farm,
Hay-on- Wye during the latter half of the 19th C. The other half of the family during that time lived and worked around Ludlow.

One of my descendants was sent to Australia for smuggling.

He was lucky I suppose 4 members of the gang were hung in front of a crowd of 20,000.

I'd imagine it would come back as 100% Irish.

It was interesting visiting the ancestral castles and learning about how they used to throw people into the murder hole. The guide was talking about how savage these people were and I was doing everything I could to suppress cheering. Lol

Were you born in Ireland BB? Where are the ancestral castles?

I've always wanted to do one of them DNA things, but I'm probably 100% Irish too. If my surname is anything to go by, I'm descended from Danish Vikings.

I did one on fitness, best type of training and eating. Was interested but looking back, it was a bit of a folly and waste of money. Technology isn't advanced enough yet for them to be accurate.

Wish I'd done the ancestry one instead. On an economy drive at the moment so can't really justify the £79 cost.
I didn’t pay full price for mine, I got it half off during their St Patrick’s Day sale.

Were you born in Ireland BB? Where are the ancestral castles?

I've always wanted to do one of them DNA things, but I'm probably 100% Irish too. If my surname is anything to go by, I'm descended from Danish Vikings.

I was born and bred in Dublin. I went to Germany when I was 19 and then spent a few years in the Midlands and then came over here.

Leap Castle is the most famous of them. It's well worth a visit if you are around that neck of the woods.

Leap Castle is the most famous of them. It's well worth a visit if you are around that neck of the woods.

Funnily enough, I'm headed down to Offaly tomorrow, my sister lives there and that's where the newborn is being christened. I think she actually lives pretty near the castle. I'll have to put a visit on hold though as I'm hopping on a train back to Dublin as soon as the kid is cursed with the holy water.

Ooh interesting! I want one of these. Going to ask my lads to get me a kit for Christmas. Been toying with the idea for ages