Who are your Aston Villa legends? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Who are your Aston Villa legends?

Obviously there are legends from the past, but I can only go on those I've seen in my time...

Saunders (my first hero)
McGrath
Staunton
Townsend
Houghton (the Irish quartet)
Atkinson
Ugo
Yorke (he kind of ruined it though)
Milosevic (these are MY legends)
Taylor
Mellberg
Laursen
Barry
Dublin
Merson
Angel
Carew
Petrov
Young
Milner

Probably forget some obvious ones

Last edited:
I suppose there are THE legends, and MY legends.

Playing wise I'd have added David Platt, but I just can't consider him a legend due to the way he's treated the club since he left. I'd love to know why he doesn't seem to like us. We made him. he seems to have nothing but disdain for Aston Villa. Very odd.

For me 89-90 Platt was awesome (along with Tony Daley) My guess is that Platt was a player driven by money and fame and when he was signed from Crewe Deadly Doug probably had him on peanuts. The 1990 World Cup massively increased his profile and his ego.

Have never heard him speak about Graham Taylor, didn't see any comments attributed to him regarding Sir Graham's passing, unlike Daley who recognised the debt he owed him.

He was on United's books before Crewe. A really strange one that he doesn't respect the adulation he received from the Villa fans. Selfish big time charlie. Shame.:(

aston-villa-footballer-lm.jpg
In my family, this man is a Villa legend! He's my second cousin:bow:. Unfortunately I never met him or saw him play, I was too young. Be interested if any of you guys who attended in the 60's can name him and saw him play. The only clue I'm giving is that he was known to my Grandma as our Lionel who plays for the Villa :utv:

Why it's Lionel Martin!

He was a skillful little player who never fulfilled his potential.

In case you haven't seen them, here are a couple of videos that you and the family will enjoy.

We have a winner! Spot on TH. It is indeed. You've confirmed what I heard about him. Didn't play much but scored a few good goals during one of our less successful periods.

Thanks for posting the videos, I'd seen the first one having scouted around youtube. Sad that I never met him, unfortunately we were never close to my fathers extended family and my mothers side are all Wolves fans! I'm Proud of the family connection though.

We have a winner! Spot on TH. It is indeed. You've confirmed what I heard about him. Didn't play much but scored a few good goals during one of our less successful periods.

Thanks for posting the videos, I'd seen the first one having scouted around youtube. Sad that I never met him, unfortunately we were never close to my fathers extended family and my mothers side are all Wolves fans! I'm Proud of the family connection though.

Wow! I just watched the documentary piece. Incredible! I found it quite moving , thank you so much. had no idea that it existed and I suspect that my father didn't either. My paternal grandfather William Martin, who died in the 1930s as a result of being gassed at the battle of Bligny during WW1, was the link. I remember my grandma, who passed at the grand old age of 97 in 1989, speaking of him with pride. He would have been quite a celebrity in the small town of Cleobury Mortimer, which I still visit as my mother was born and is buried there along with my maternal Grandmother.

I believe Lionel drifted out of football after being released in the early 70's and went on to work for a car dealership in Brum. Nevertheless he got to live out one of my dreams: a legend to me indeed.

I think any list of legends must include some of the team that dragged us from Division 3 at the start of a 10 year period which culminated in winning the League title and European Cup......so I would include Ray Graydon and Andy Lochhead. A little further on who can forget big Chris Nicholl, the man sweated blood for Villa!

Always enjoyed this mans contribution from this era and not seen anyone else mention his name, he certainly played a part in our rise in the 70's
I think any list of legends must include some of the team that dragged us from Division 3 at the start of a 10 year period which culminated in winning the League title and European Cup......so I would include Ray Graydon and Andy Lochhead. A little further on who can forget big Chris Nicholl, the man sweated blood for Villa!

Always enjoyed this mans contribution from the early 70s, as has been said we all have our own legends and in my preteen eyes, he had the the name, the haircut and the styles. Both definite requirements in the glam rock era.
Come on down Mr Chico Hamilton.

Spent a lot of time in the past today, can't leave without this final comment. If I had to choose just one legend then this man has to be it. Fantastic talent and all round top man, claret and blue blood in his veins. This interview totally confirms it for me. If he was a woman I'd have married him!!:bow:

29 January 1969 was an utterly magic night at Villa Park, 59,000 plus for FAC 4th Round Replay against Southampton ...... and yep Dave Rudge went down the right and yep Lionel Martin scored. Unforgettable night, Southampton were a big fish in those days.

Jimmy Rimmer (first player to ever meet me and sign an autograph when I was 8 at bodymoor). I have had the pleasure later in life of meeting him again and buying him a pint. Proper gent, great villa keeper

Paul McGrath - no words needed. Just happy to have seen so many majestic games from him

Sid Cowans - deserves legend status, Mr Aston Villa, blood sweat and tears for the club. Been through a hard time lately , we all should rally around Sid.

Nearly but not quite -
Gareth Barry
Gabby Agbonlahor
Dennis Mortimer
Ni Lamptey

There are few things that (still) make my blood boil more than the fact that Dennis Mortimer was overlooked by England. He was the complete midfielder, long long before Lampard, Gerard etc. Ask me to put any “all star” villa eleven together from my lifetime and he’s captain and first name on the team sheet...

European cup team obviously
Sir Brian Little
John Gidman
Charlie Aitkin
Bruce Rioch
Willie Anderson
Brian Godfrey
Ray Graydon
Andy Lochead
Andy Gray
Chris Nicholl
Leighton Philips
Paul McGrath
Martin Laurson
Olof Melberg
Paul Merson
Dean Saunders
Ian Taylor
Shaun Teale
Dion Dublin
Chico Hamilton
Pat McMahon
Ian Ross
Jim Cumbes
Honorable mentions
Gareth Barry
Andy Townsend
Frank Carradus
Fred Turnbull
Michael Wright
James Milner
John Deehan

No doubt I will remember more when I’ve posted however I’ve had a number of Bathams tonight. (I live 1000 yards from the brewery)

No Platt because of personal experience of him being an utter tosser. Liked him as a player of course.
Likewise Yorke. Bellend.

Not mentioned by anybody but came through as a youth, local boy, England international, loved by Sir Graham and on his day unstoppable. Got people out of their seats. Considers himself a Villa fan. Too inconsistent for some I guess.
Tony Daley.

Purely based on the players I saw growing up:

Spink
Bosnich
McGrath
Teale
Mellberg
Laursen
Staunton
Townsend
Barry
Taylor
Platt
Merson
Saunders
Yorke

Honourable mentions, in the sense that ‘legend’ seems too much but they were players I loved for the likes of:

Southgate
Alan Wright
Delaney
Hendrie (what a waste of potential!)
Daley
Young
Milner
Dublin
Carew
Benteke

And those who weren’t that great but I have affection for:

McCann