Who are the candidates for our new manager.. | Page 123 | Vital Football

Who are the candidates for our new manager..

Jesus, have we fallen that far EX.

Vinnie brother...you and I both know we HAVE fallen that far. The Spurs are poisoned chalice at the moment...

Remember I said we need a stable hand for a bit...Is Nuno the guy to win us the damn title or something...probably not...he shouldn't be asked to do that. What we DO NEED him to do is stabilize this sinking ship. Plug some holes, rebuild our foundation...re-teach fundementals...etc....(Take us off life-support!) Get us moving in the right damn direction first....then we will see what happens.

Going to take some time mate!

I like this appointment...I know I am one of the few. But I am also a realist. This is exactly what we needed at THIS moment.

I wonder if the 2 year deal was Fabios idea?

Not bothered. If anything it's a smart idea. I don't like managers getting long deals.

Just renew if earned.
From the club's perspective I can see why it makes sense to only offer a 2 year deal. But it's hardly a vote of confidence in him, is it? I hope for Nuno's sake they don't use him to see us through this mess for the next couple of years and once the money starts rolling in again dump him for some big name Billy Bo...x.

From the club's perspective I can see why it makes sense to only offer a 2 year deal. But it's hardly a vote of confidence in him, is it? I hope for Nuno's sake they don't use him to see us through this mess for the next couple of years and once the money starts rolling in again dump him for some big name Billy Bo...x.

Sadly I think that is exactly what they will do. Unless Nuno gets us punching above our weight.

He doesn't have the luxury Poch had though. Poch had a bunch of top end players here. I don't think we do this time around.

The signings and sales this summer are very important.

Let's hope Fabio gets the ball rolling. We are littered with average players that need moving on yesterday.

If it is to be Nuno it's not a great start for Paratici.

If Nuno has the credentials to fit the brief of the Spurs job outlined by Levy, then this deal could have been agreed - if not signed off - weeks ago.

Leaving aside some of the fabricated stories, Paratici has clearly been targeting other managers ahead of Nuno. So Nuno is more of an afterthought or part of the B-list after failing to land one of the A-list targets.

I'm still not convinced though that Nuno is the shoo-in that Sky and the bookies are reporting. It's his availability that makes it an easy connection. And a lack of credible information from the club on other candidates.

Why should appointing a new manager be any different? We only ever seem to appoint B list players missing our alleged A list targets. It seems ditto for the manager. Underwhelmed. Are we now a B list club? Nevertheless Nuno will have my support. He is now Spurs after all!

He has a Martin Jol vibe. I think if he gets the team playing some good football he will get the fans on his side quickly.

Any Spurs fan with any commonsense understands that Nuno is not the problem here. We know the players are toxic and weak mentally. We understand you have to manage Spurs with both hands tied behind your back because Levy is a nightmare to work with.

He has my backing. Probably more than any other manager since Redknapp.

He has a Martin Jol vibe. I think if he gets the team playing some good football he will get the fans on his side quickly.

Any Spurs fan with any commonsense understands that Nuno is not the problem here. We know the players are toxic and weak mentally. We understand you have to manage Spurs with both hands tied behind your back because Levy is a nightmare to work with.

He has my backing. Probably more than any other manager since Redknapp.

The difference is that Nuno hasn't spent decades managing small clubs and therefore can adapt when managing a big club. Harry was too set in his ways.

That was always my concern from the outset with Harry and I was proven right over and over. He didn't change his transfer approach and was constantly too loyal to players he should have been casting aside. He never created the space for younger, more talented players and the squad ended up bloated and unworkable. For me, Harry should have been made to work with a DoF like Paratici.

Nuno needs to think bigger than a Jol or Harry ever did. He needs to adopt a Klopp or Pep mentality and have high expectations of Paratici to get him the players. Then he needs to have high expectations on those players.

Vinnie brother...you and I both know we HAVE fallen that far. The Spurs are poisoned chalice at the moment...

Remember I said we need a stable hand for a bit...Is Nuno the guy to win us the damn title or something...probably not...he shouldn't be asked to do that. What we DO NEED him to do is stabilize this sinking ship. Plug some holes, rebuild our foundation...re-teach fundementals...etc....(Take us off life-support!) Get us moving in the right damn direction first....then we will see what happens.

Going to take some time mate!

I like this appointment...I know I am one of the few. But I am also a realist. This is exactly what we needed at THIS moment.
I have calmed down since yesterday,still not happy but you make some valid points there US mate.

One area I am expecting to see a big improvement - from the opening game - is in our fitness levels and work rate.

The fitness levels of our players by the end of Jose's reign was shocking.

It was noticeable when we played Wolves - even under Poch - how much fitter and stronger they were in most of the second halves of matches we played.

We should probably be able to field 7 or 8 outfield players for the City game who will be 25 years old or under. With a good pre-season under their belt they should be in good condition to compete for 90 minutes.

On paper it's a daunting opening game but really we couldn't be playing them at a better time.

The difference is that Nuno hasn't spent decades managing small clubs and therefore can adapt when managing a big club. Harry was too set in his ways.

That was always my concern from the outset with Harry and I was proven right over and over. He didn't change his transfer approach and was constantly too loyal to players he should have been casting aside. He never created the space for younger, more talented players and the squad ended up bloated and unworkable. For me, Harry should have been made to work with a DoF like Paratici.

Nuno needs to think bigger than a Jol or Harry ever did. He needs to adopt a Klopp or Pep mentality and have high expectations of Paratici to get him the players. Then he needs to have high expectations on those players.

I agree Pep and Klopp are the new way.

My point was that Harry and Jol in the main got the team playing good football. Which gets fans onside.

Also Jol did get us 5th, twice with average squads.

Harry got us 4th, twice. First time punching above his weight. Second time under achieved.

I agree Pep and Klopp are the new way.

My point was that Harry and Jol in the main got the team playing good football. Which gets fans onside.

Also Jol did get us 5th, twice with average squads.

Harry got us 4th, twice. First time punching above his weight. Second time under achieved.

You stumble on another point actually. There was an old big 4 domination for years and Jol could get 5th but never get close to top 4. When Harry came along, the big 4 were creaking like crazy. When Crouchy scored at City we got CL. A year later Mancini blew Spurs out of sight. In many ways, Harry's second top 4 was better, but once again our second half of the season was poor. It always was under Harry.

Nuno's big challenge is that right now it is very tough when you look up. City and Liverpool have set new limits of points in the Prem. Chelsea and Utd are on an upward trajectory and Leicester look set fair. We need those creaks to appear again and I'm not sure they will. Perhaps Liverpool and Leicester losing big players like Tielemans, ironically to Liverpool.

In Nuno's first season, the best he can hope for is 6th. We're not in a cycle where the top 4 door is open.

Me I welcome him, as in welcome to Spurs Nuno, you have got your work cut out for you mate, but I trust you to do it.

Short contract is a tick for me, as has already been said regards long contracts, I hate them, prove yourself then add/sign again, new, simple as that.

You stumble on another point actually. There was an old big 4 domination for years and Jol could get 5th but never get close to top 4. When Harry came along, the big 4 were creaking like crazy. When Crouchy scored at City we got CL. A year later Mancini blew Spurs out of sight. In many ways, Harry's second top 4 was better, but once again our second half of the season was poor. It always was under Harry.

Nuno's big challenge is that right now it is very tough when you look up. City and Liverpool have set new limits of points in the Prem. Chelsea and Utd are on an upward trajectory and Leicester look set fair. We need those creaks to appear again and I'm not sure they will. Perhaps Liverpool and Leicester losing big players like Tielemans, ironically to Liverpool.

In Nuno's first season, the best he can hope for is 6th. We're not in a cycle where the top 4 door is open.
And yet almost every season one or more teams who looked nailed on to finish in the top 4 at the start of the season, fail to do so. There are always cracks.

I'm not even thinking of top 4 though. It would take a monumental transfer window to even consider it.

And yet almost every season one or more teams who looked nailed on to finish in the top 4 at the start of the season, fail to do so. There are always cracks.

I'm not even thinking of top 4 though. It would take a monumental transfer window to even consider it.

Less so recently. Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea are consistent top 4 finishers and Utd now seem to joining them for last couple of years. Spurs were the last team outside of those 4 teams to finish in top 4.

I do hope you're right but think it is more likely to be Leciester that fall away than the current top 4. It's becoming a top 4 domination again and they all have money to spend.