White power? | Vital Football

White power?

Stephen Jay Hawkings

Vital Football Legend
Bet that caught your attention!

Anyway, anyone that's interested in metal or rock might know the story of the last few days about former Pantera frontman Phil Anselmo giving the Sieg Heil and screaming "white power!!" to the crowd in a drunken state at a concert in honour of deceased Pantera guitarist (and personal hero) Dimebag Darrell....

[youtube=rVaUlXfvOHg]

He initially claimed it was a joke, but after huge backlash he has issued this apology....

[youtube=gShmJV2BSr0]

It was a stupid thing to do no doubt, and I'm not trying to defend him, but where is the line drawn between saying or doing something really idiotic (drunk or not), and being shunned and outed as a real racist?

It's pissed me off because I was a huge Pantera fan growing up, and still am today, and this issue seems to have divided metal fans everywhere

Well that sort of thing doesn't just come out of nowhere or out as a joke I don't think?

That looked guttural, the salute was stupid but to follow that up with what looks a heart felt and angry 'white power' ... I can't see how you would come to say that to fans if you didn't have a leaning towards such junk thoughts?

Oh dear he will no doubt get the rascist police on his back claiming he is an evil man and he needs to suffer for his drunken actions,,,,,i have seen things done when people am pizzed paralytic that they wouldn't do normally, i say give the guy a break if he does anything like this again then that will deserve branded a real rascist but for me i like pantera proper rockers and have never seen him sing about racist stuff nor do it so looks to be what i is a pizzed up silly thing.

So we put it down to being drunk?

He was one of the band, he's just done a concert, how drunk was he? Drunk enough not to be able to perform?

A nazi salute and an angry roar of white power cannot just be dismissed as 'he was drunk''... that sort of shite comes from somewhere, he could at least own it if that is what he thinks.

ClivetheVillan - 31/1/2016 14:41

Oh dear he will no doubt get the rascist police on his back claiming he is an evil man and he needs to suffer for his drunken actions,,,,,i have seen things done when people am pizzed paralytic that they wouldn't do normally, i say give the guy a break if he does anything like this again then that will deserve branded a real rascist but for me i like pantera proper rockers and have never seen him sing about racist stuff nor do it so looks to be what i is a pizzed up silly thing.

So let'sget this right then Clive, racism is acceptable from drunk people?

I've done a good few mental things when drunk. Come to think of it, I've done some mental things when sober! However, I've not jumped totally out of my character and become something different (including not being funny when drunk :3: )

I'd tend to agree with Fear a bit on this, because it's not the first time Anselmo has been accused of these kind of remarks, so drunk or not, there's a place this shit is coming from.

But on the other hand, who know's how much his mind is frazzled after years of heroin abuse (he OD'd in 96) and booze, most of the time when I've seen him in interviews etc. (sober) he seems like a genuinely nice person, and his apology seems genuine too. If people really are racist or have those beliefs why don't they just be proud of them? I've seen people say he's just protecting his business etc. but he's made his money from Pantera and other bands already, and as far as I know he's not attached to any major record label that would pressure him into "saying the right things".

I mean, this is the guy that wrote these lyrics in 1992....

[youtube=7yN18uooopc]

Villan Of The North - 31/1/2016 14:41

ClivetheVillan - 31/1/2016 14:41

So let'sget this right then Clive, racism is acceptable from drunk people?
If somebody does something when absolute pizzed like calling out a name or something i take no notice but in todays world it is so OTT what do you want done to this bloke hanging him, jailing him, lose his career cos he is a bad person i mean ffs he has apolagised and said its out of charactor,,,,,,,waaay too many politically correct people in this world for me i tend to like to avoid them tbh

I will just add, i worked said this a few times at a chicken factory that supplied Asda Sainsbury's etc quality controller/supervisor and i was called white this and white that i said things to them back yet was this rascism? Was it feckers like its called real life and its the people who start blowing smoke out there arse cos they hear something somebody says then they see there chance to show ''hey look i am lovely and never done that so he is naughty and i am good'' ffs the bloke has apologized what more do folk want in the real world people get called names all the time we ain't all suit wearers and talk posh pretending the world is a beautiful sweaty world,,,,,,news this world is no sweaty world its just the way it is.

I suppose if somebody does something that is deemded wrong in this world today they should be paraded by there nuts in a cage back of a lorry,,,,,,,,people make mistakes just cos you have not done what he did doesn't mean you or have a right to overlook his regrets at his actions, let the man be thats all from me.

Seriously Clive, calm down and vet a grip.

Alcohol removes inhibitions and impairs judgement but it doesn't change your personal beliefs and base desires, if hed not been thinking these things he'd not have said them. To compare this to workplace banter is just so ridiculous so I'll leave that point right there.

Not sure what being posh or wearing a suit has to do with anything. And no, racism doesn't just work one way and isn't always just about black or white, a lot of Indian's and Pakistani's hate each other.

Now when drunk you might say daft things, or even the odd non politically correct joke or inappropriate things said amongst friends who know you (so know what / who you are)

But standing on a stage to a crowd of fans and doing a nazi salute and then roaring white power?

That comes from somewhere. As said, if that is what he thinks, 'fine' , own it.

Not sure why you've got angry at others opinions on this one clive, it's ok that we see things differently. You've gone way ott, none of us said he should be hung out, or led by his nuts or anything else.

Blimey!

Corey Taylor (Slipknot) on the incident/racism.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/slipknots-corey-taylor-talks-combating-racism-in-metal-20160210

Juan Mourep - 31/1/2016 22:51

Disgusting! I'd hang him by his bollocks off a crane on the back of a truck :17:
:1: :1: :1: :19: :19: :19: Trust yo to say that i knew one of you would come out with soemthing like this,,,,,Trekker my money was on but you was in the top 3 odd's :17: