Which player for the Imps flattered to deceive the most? | Vital Football

Which player for the Imps flattered to deceive the most?

I always felt Gary West looked a better player than he actually was (if that makes sense). The fact he was voted player of the season in 1986/87 perhaps says something about the standard of his teammates that season.

Quite a lot of young players who were supposed to be great/kick on, perhaps? I remember hearing lots about Gary King, Conner Robinson, Ollie Ryan, Nathan Adams and Andy Hutchinson for example, and being told they were being looked at by other clubs etc. Conner must have had the most run but he never really got any better.

Quite a lot of young players who were supposed to be great/kick on, perhaps? I remember hearing lots about Gary King, Conner Robinson, Ollie Ryan, Nathan Adams and Andy Hutchinson for example, and being told they were being looked at by other clubs etc. Conner must have had the most run but he never really got any better.

Our entire youth system flatters to deceive!

I guess Bob Latchford has to be up there...

As mentioned in Notty's thread.

Derek Asamoah. I recall a home game v Darlo where he ran around in circles in a piece of pitch by the corner flag by the South Park and CooP stands. To his credit he was doing it very skillfully.

Honourable mentions to both:

- Jae Martin
- Steve Mardenborough

Quite a few looked very decent on loan then turned out to be total carp when signed

Jae Martin as already mentioned
Sam Delano-Yorke

Quite a few looked very decent on loan then turned out to be total carp when signed

Jae Martin as already mentioned
Sam Delano-Yorke

Sam-Yorke was ace in that loan... But anyone with any ability looked half decent at that time

Plus we've had several who were way beyond their best when they came to us for a last pay packet but were players who you had heard of at their peak

Gary Bannister
Gary Megson
Kingsley Black
Ian Hamilton
The aforementioned Bob Latchford

Could I even suggest we've had the odd young loanee who came with a high reputation they failed to keep to as a player

cough..Michael Appleton...cough!!!!!!!!

Plus we've had several who were way beyond their best when they came to us for a last pay packet but were players who you had heard of at their peak

Gary Bannister
Gary Megson
Kingsley Black
Ian Hamilton
The aforementioned Bob Latchford

Add:

David Phillips
Jim McCalliog
Steve Foley
Trevor Hebberd

There are all too many who come into that category.