Where will we play the Tottenham U21 match? | Vital Football

Where will we play the Tottenham U21 match?

GRSGimmer

Vital Squad Member
Assuming we can not reschedule the Checkatrade match against Spurs U21 on 9/10 where do you think it will be played? Mr Scally said in the Peterborough programme that it will be played at a different but unspecified venue. My guess is Ebbsfleet or Dartford assuming they are agreeable. Alternatively it may be Beechings Cross or even Luton Rec. I doubt very much that Tottenham would want to play it at their "Home" stadium, given the likely small crowd and costs of staging it. I imagine it will mean GFC will make a loss on this game financially, not that we would have had record gate receipts had it still been played at our beloved Priestfield stadium.

Assuming we can not reschedule the Checkatrade match against Spurs U21 on 9/10 where do you think it will be played? Mr Scally said in the Peterborough programme that it will be played at a different but unspecified venue. My guess is Ebbsfleet or Dartford assuming they are agreeable. Alternatively it may be Beechings Cross or even Luton Rec. I doubt very much that Tottenham would want to play it at their "Home" stadium, given the likely small crowd and costs of staging it. I imagine it will mean GFC will make a loss on this game financially, not that we would have had record gate receipts had it still been played at our beloved Priestfield stadium.

Chatham Town?

I think Chatham Town is a good call. It will be a small crowd anyway.
Let them keep the catering money and promise to send a first XI preseason friendly as compensation.

Gills provide stewards and arrange tickets.

I'm still not going though :-)

I thought that it has to be played at a league ground. If that is correct then Charlton or Millwall would be the only alternatives. I maybe wrong though.

I thought that it has to be played at a league ground. If that is correct then Charlton or Millwall would be the only alternatives. I maybe wrong though.

I would hope that isn't the case. What do we need in terms of capacity 1-2K ? We could be the first club to sell out for one of these games :-)

Common sense needs to apply here. Keep it local for those fans who want to go and put a bit of extra income into a local NL team. If it has to be better than Chatham Town then Ebbsfleet might be the answer.

Still not going either way though.

I’ll go if it’s Ebbsfleet or Chatham. Anywhere which is more awkward to get to and I won’t bother. Particularly if the FL demand it be held at a fellow FL stadium.

Funnily enough pre-pitch announcement I wouldn’t bother going had it been played at Priestfield.

With the Checkatrade we could probably hold it at Anchorians with no capacity issues.

This is what I found on FA rules.

"Clubs must take all reasonable precautions to keep their grounds in a playable condition.
All matches shall be played on pitches deemed suitable by the Management Committee.
If through any fault of the home team a match has to be replayed, the Management
Committee shall have power to order the venue to be changed.
The Management Committee shall have power to decide whether a pitch and/or facilities
are suitable for matches in the Competition and to order the Club concerned to play its
fixtures on another ground".

This does not say it has to be a league ground .My guess is Spurs will not want to travel further which rules out Dover and other grounds east of Priestfield . It is also unlikely that Chatham would be deemed up to standard. Ebbsfleet would seem most likely in view of improvements there.Maidstone is out due to the pitch. Dartford would have issues as the pitch is overused anyway so has pitch issues of its own.Millwall and Charlton would only be a option if Scally were forced into it by the FA (see above rules)as the cost would be high and crowds almost non existent.

Tonbridge, pitch was in good condition when we played there pre-season
While I quite like Tonbridge Angels pre season is am not sure their facilities would be deemed anywhere near the required standard. It would also be a fair trip from Gillingham thus likely to a a tiny attendance.

One possible option which may even break even would be to play it at somewhere like Barnet or Enfield .Not sure if would be that popular with Gills fans but even if the club run free coaches .i can't see that many going supporting Gills in this fixture almost regardless of venue .But perhaps turning into away match of sorts could be The best financial option.

One possible option which may even break even would be to play it at somewhere like Barnet or Enfield .Not sure if would be that popular with Gills fans but even if the club run free coaches .i can't see that many going supporting Gills in this fixture almost regardless of venue .But perhaps turning into away match of sorts could be The best financial option.

I see spurs play most of their u23 games at their training centre in Enfield but they have played some of their fixtures at Stevenage - would have thought both are possibles.