Where Will We Finish Season 21/22 | Page 11 | Vital Football

Where Will We Finish Season 21/22

We go into the new season with our strongest squad for many seasons. So where will we finish.

• Champions

• 2nd - 4th

• 5th - 8th

• 9th - 12th

• Below 12th

• Relegated

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some won’t be that patient

Agree, its about building a team where you can rest players, If we were to have two good cup runs this season would we still have a team to challenge the top 6?

We have some amazing youngsters coming through and maybe in 2 or 3 seasons we will be near the top four but currently 8th in the league with two decent cup runs would be a success.

I just don't see Deano switching to two up front for the first time ever. I think a journalist has seen a striker and a CB come into the club in the last few days and has some off-season sports pages to fill.
Interesting to see what will happen. I can't see Watkins slotting into Grealish's old role. If he sticks with a front three then it will have to be a proper front three (like Liverpool) with very limited defensive duties.

Interesting to see what will happen. I can't see Watkins slotting into Grealish's old role. If he sticks with a front three then it will have to be a proper front three (like Liverpool) with very limited defensive duties.
He likes the Liverpool way it's the team he studied during the lockdown.
Liverpool effectively play 2 at the back, the full-backs become wingers and the two defensive midfielders drop to cover the full-backs, their midfield is very robust and not in any way flash, the front three and the two fullbacks create the chances.

That's how I see they play .

I've woken up this morning and am feeling a bit negative (doesnt often happen :D).. I feel like it all feels a little disjointed. Worries over Buendia and Watkins injuries/precautions, Bailey hasnt played yet, defence has had 1 game together in pre seasons where they werent tested. Pre season altogether has been rocky with the games being called off etc. Jack going, Terry going. Feels a bit of a rough pre season for us. Hopefully I'm wrong this coming weekend but I dont have a great feeling atm. Still went Villa win of course!

I've woken up this morning and am feeling a bit negative (doesnt often happen :D).. I feel like it all feels a little disjointed. Worries over Buendia and Watkins injuries/precautions, Bailey hasnt played yet, defence has had 1 game together in pre seasons where they werent tested. Pre season altogether has been rocky with the games being called off etc. Jack going, Terry going. Feels a bit of a rough pre season for us. Hopefully I'm wrong this coming weekend but I dont have a great feeling atm. Still went Villa win of course!

We all hope its wrong but yes I am with you here and was thinking pretty much what you said yesterday. And why I was debating so much about our finishing position.

We are in for a rocky patch this season. It might be we go flying out the traps and then dip or the other way round. But with the loss of you know who it will have an impact . I think its barmy to suggest that you lose your best most influential and creative player. someone with that much standing at the club in terms of the whole package and the team seamlessly transitions with the new additions. And then....finds its way into the top 6 or 7 ?. Mmmm.

As I keep saying , long run we may well be better off but short and interim term I think its dodgy. People need to understand this when we gave a rough patch and the managers head gets called for. I think the expectation on Smith may well have changed for this season now as the team transitions into this post Generic time.

We all hope its wrong but yes I am with you here and was thinking pretty much what you said yesterday. And why I was debating so much about our finishing position.

We are in for a rocky patch this season. It might be we go flying out the traps and then dip or the other way round. But with the loss of you know who it will have an impact . I think its barmy to suggest that you lose your best most influential and creative player. someone with that much standing at the club in terms of the whole package and the team seamlessly transitions with the new additions. And then....finds its way into the top 6 or 7 ?. Mmmm.

As I keep saying , long run we may well be better off but short and interim term I think its dodgy. People need to understand this when we gave a rough patch and the managers head gets called for. I think the expectation on Smith may well have changed for this season now as the team transitions into this post Generic time.

Completely agree, we as Villa fans are going to have to be patient and thats something I know a lot of people struggle with. It's not going to be a seamless transition like you said, not one club can lose a player like Jack was for us and 'improve'. It will be over time and we will have a rocky patch for sure. Just need to keep our heads and get behind the boys! They'll need it this year for sure! :utv:

I must admit, I've found the predictions of 5th-8th to be naive at best and stupid at worst. I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Ultimately we have new players to stich together and most likely more to come in, a new system to implement and the absence of our best player who has carried us for years.

Expectations if anything need to be lowered. I think most of us would have expected > £100m to be spent this window with Grealish remaining at the club and thus expecting a pretty good push up the table.

At this point I think we need to be realistic about the challenging facing us, adjust expectations accordingly and most important of all, just get behind the team including through the very rough patches we may have on the horizon as everyone adjusts.

you lose your best most influential and creative player. someone with that much standing at the club in terms of the whole package and the team seamlessly transitions with the new additions. And then....finds its way into the top 6 or 7 ?. Mmmm.

Whilst I largely agree I think the expectation for Smith is to continue to improve our points tally/position regardless of Grexit.
Far from convinced we'll do it but I suppose regardless of 'transition' we should be gaining on Leeds and the more troubled Everton.
A good start would really help but think we're underprepared tbh

It's been a massive kick in the bollocks for me with snake2 leaving at the last minute, probably worse than MON shitting on us.
I just hope it hasn't hit Dean and the rest of the lads struggling to believe the hype
That's my biggest worry, its ok to give it the big un the bravado the optimistic post to make things feel better but the back of the mind thinks the truth.

Also I'm sparing a thought for Dean Smith who just before the season is about to start and we are all on a high, has his right-hand man walk out to play golf and hi Captain and best player ditch the project as well not a good thing at all however we look at it

I think we may well see a reversal of last season as in last season but in reverse ie. Poor First Half of season / Good second half of season , with us finishing 12-14th area.
Whatever way you look at it its been a traumatic couple of weeks leading up to the opener. Nobody can really be blamed for this, we were let down. maybe we should of planned earlier for this . Hopefully Buendia and Watkins are fit for Saturday but if they aren't 100% best not risk them, long season ahead.

Any thoughts on this. Could be a load of rubbish of course but we did go 4-4-2 today.

Can't say I like the idea. Buendia is a Grealish style player by all accounts and wouldn't work in a 4-4-2.

If its 3 at the back which hasn't worked for us in over 20 years then why splash 30m out on a winger like Bailey.

The diamond just gives me awful Paul Lambert flashbacks. No thank you.

Me personally I'd be sticking with the same formation we've been using. Bailey rw, Buendia in the middle, Watkins lw and Ings up top. A fairly fluid front 4.

My gut says we may tinker with 2 up top at points, but this was about getting Ollie and Ings minutes.

I must admit, I've found the predictions of 5th-8th to be naive at best and stupid at worst. I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

But that doesn't account for people who want a European challenge (aim high and all that) but would be perfectly happy with eighth as another step.

Aiming to stand still isn't progress.

But that doesn't account for people who want a European challenge (aim high and all that) but would be perfectly happy with eighth as another step.

Based on the window so far I'm less sanguine on the idea that we're in a position to progress tbh.

we have lost our captain our talisman , the guy who made the team tick. To think we are going to finish 8th is naive . We will do very well to make 11th. i'm expecting below this