Where Will We Finish Season 21/22 | Page 10 | Vital Football

Where Will We Finish Season 21/22

We go into the new season with our strongest squad for many seasons. So where will we finish.

• Champions

• 2nd - 4th

• 5th - 8th

• 9th - 12th

• Below 12th

• Relegated

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looking at that today (and I know it was just a friendly), I would say that we are just a couple of injuries away from a disaster.

Most teams outside of Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool are in that situation though. If Kane gets injured spurs have no one to come in. Arsenal are in trouble if Aubameyang is out.

Most teams outside of Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool are in that situation though. If Kane gets injured spurs have no one to come in. Arsenal are in trouble if Aubameyang is out.

If spuds secure Martinez they will have no problems up front.

I'm looking at it this way. We'll start with last season's very good defensive line of Martinez + Cash/Konsa/Mings/Targett. Looked a bit creaky today but hopefully when the season starts they'll be back to their best. With Nakamba and McGinn in front of them, we ought to be looking at clean sheets in our first three "easy" matches. Keeping clean sheets is the core of having a good PL season.

In front of them there is a choice of 4 players. Maybe a bit up and down with the formation not settled, and new players in (I believe somebody left as well). But, the players to choose from all have good attacking skills, score goals, and have been chosen because they can work as part of a team. I think there's enough there to ensure that, coupled with a mean defence, we have a good season.

Last season we could have been looking at 6th at least before Jack got injured and Barkley got injured then went AWOL. I think we can aim somewhere near that. But it does depend on the defence remaining mean, and the new signings giving the attack teeth.

i think about ninth..... or somewhere around there, but a good start is imperitive

I do wonder if we’ll take a bit longer to click going forward with the number of changes. I’ve been far too guilty in the past of expecting great things from game day 1 with new attacking players. We haven’t had a great pre-season schedule in terms of quality of opposition, along with plenty of new faces to fit in and embed in a short space of time.

We have a good opening fixture schedule, as much as playing newly promoted teams is harder as they treat the first game as a bit of a cup final.

If we have a slow start, 9-10th might end up being more realistic, than 6th-8th. Given our usual slump just after Xmas, I agree with Keira that a good start is very important.

The problem is if these guys click by the end of the season. Do we just let the top 4 come and cherry pick our stars and we start over again.

8th in reality, we are still building, still adding quality and I honestly think we are still short of a couple of players and a manager to play top 6 football.

The problem is if these guys click by the end of the season. Do we just let the top 4 come and cherry pick our stars and we start over again.
I don't think that will happen Fulford. We have picked up some good players, they have chosen io come here because they can see we are a club on the way up and they want to be a part of that. What we can look forward to, is not relying on one player, having quality back up on the bench and not go into panic if we have an injury. i will be surprised if we don't finish in the top 6 because when we are on our game we can give anybody a run for their money.

Any thoughts on this. Could be a load of rubbish of course but we did go 4-4-2 today.

Can't say I like the idea. Buendia is a Grealish style player by all accounts and wouldn't work in a 4-4-2.

If its 3 at the back which hasn't worked for us in over 20 years then why splash 30m out on a winger like Bailey.

The diamond just gives me awful Paul Lambert flashbacks. No thank you.

Me personally I'd be sticking with the same formation we've been using. Bailey rw, Buendia in the middle, Watkins lw and Ings up top. A fairly fluid front 4.

Any thoughts on this. Could be a load of rubbish of course but we did go 4-4-2 today.

Can't say I like the idea. Buendia is a Grealish style player by all accounts and wouldn't work in a 4-4-2.

If its 3 at the back which hasn't worked for us in over 20 years then why splash 30m out on a winger like Bailey.

The diamond just gives me awful Paul Lambert flashbacks. No thank you.

Me personally I'd be sticking with the same formation we've been using. Bailey rw, Buendia in the middle, Watkins lw and Ings up top. A fairly fluid front 4.
I just don't see Deano switching to two up front for the first time ever. I think a journalist has seen a striker and a CB come into the club in the last few days and has some off-season sports pages to fill.

I just don't see Deano switching to two up front for the first time ever. I think a journalist has seen a striker and a CB come into the club in the last few days and has some off-season sports pages to fill.
Looking at friendly highlights looks like we played 433 Watkins Ings AEG which is what I suspected when saw line up. We won't play 442 because we don't have orthodox wingers and it's not the 1980's

fwiw the spread bet firms have us
finishing 11th again with less points than last year.
(not sure if they are run by Brummies or not)
This time last year they had us going down, so I’m not going to judge our team on the bookies review.

I know people are excited about transfers, but changing half the team is a recipe for disaster. I expect most of the new signings will be brought in slowly and when their fitness stats are up to scratch. This is the unrelenting league around Europe and having some strength on the bench will be critical. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic for the season, and I also don’t see people getting carried away on here. It’ll take a few games to get the formation correct and the players embedded in the system.

This time last year we were all buzzing about the Barkley loan, Bert was unknown, Ollie was a gamble. We’ve definitely got more fire power with Ings and all but Bailey have experience in the PL, so let’s see how we get on after the first few games.

Last edited: