Where are we as a club? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Where are we as a club?

Where are we as a club?

In a better place then we were a week ago. Winning does magical things!

You change mentality and approach in training; that's never changed - train defensively and negatively all the time and you induce it on the pitch, train with a whole team pattern of front foot play and that works too.

Preparation is why attacking coaches achieve what they achieve.

It isn't rocket science; all of a sudden posters here aren't slagging off players for not having the skills, which I knew was complete nonsense, but there you go.

Cause and effect, you could see it everywhere - if you were looking for it that is.

Last edited:
You change mentality and approach in training, that's never changed - train defensively and negatively all the time and you induce it, train with a whole team pattern of front foot play and that works too.

Preparation is why attacking coaches achieve what they achieve.

It isn't rocket science; all of a sudden posters here aren't slagging off players for not having the skills, which I knew was complete nonsense, but there you go.

Cause and effect, you could see it everywhere - if you were looking for it that is.
Think that most of the slagging of by posters on here Ex has been directed toward Mourinho and his tactics. Most fans recognise that we don't have a squad that matches the best in the PL, but we do have a squad that is far better than its recent results and league position. I'm not going to get carried away on the strength of one or two good results, but the signs have all been good regarding a return to a more positive approach,, let's hope it stays that way.

This thread has descended into stating our league position. Not exactly challenging or what the thread was about. Its Greavsies fault by using the opportunity for a cheap pun.
So in an attempt to lift it beyond a digit placing exercise....
We are in a better phase than we were a few weeks ago. Partly due to player performance and availability and a change in tactics perhaps driven by that a availability..

This thread has descended into stating our league position. Not exactly challenging or what the thread was about. Its Greavsies fault by using the opportunity for a cheap pun.
So in an attempt to lift it beyond a digit placing exercise....
We are in a better phase than we were a few weeks ago. Partly due to player performance and availability and a change in tactics perhaps driven by that a availability..

hmm a chicken or the egg conundrum ?

Bale has saved Jose arse and came along just when the criticism was so stinging, along with the fact he was instructed to...

I give no credit to Jose for our abrupt change in tactics at all.

hmm a chicken or the egg conundrum ?

Bale has saved Jose arse and came along just when the criticism was so stinging, along with the fact he was instructed to...

I give no credit to Jose for our abrupt change in tactics at all.
I'm not his biggest fan but i think that's a tad unfair Ex. We don't know the inside story regarding Bale's fitness. If anything i think he's managed the situation pretty well. We always knew that some of the new boys would take time to find their feet & Bale has been no exception.

I'm not his biggest fan but i think that's a tad unfair Ex. We don't know the inside story regarding Bale's fitness. If anything i think he's managed the situation pretty well. We always knew that some of the new boys would take time to find their feet & Bale has been no exception.

Bale wasn't game fit and we ALL noticed a distinct lack of application on Base's part in earlier appearances. There isn't any way I would have played him with the on-pitch attitude that was very apparent.

Bale stepped it up. Now he's playing.

TBF to Bale, he hadn't been playing for almost 2 years for various reasons.

He's back. Jose is utilizing him, our style of play has changed.

Taking shots at the man who ultimately has implemented what we have been witnessing over the last few games is just wrong.

Bales progression has been gradual but recently its like he has had a 50kg weight lifted off his shoulders. Its match sharpness brought about by careful management IM0.
Dele coming back for whatever reason either fitness, form or a personality issue has added to our resurgence.
Jose has dropped Dier and Sissoko of late.
He has persisted with Doherty and against Palace his linking up with Bale was noticeable plus I thought an improvement in his general play as born out by his ratings.
Jose has also dropped Bergwijn for a while but gave him a fair chance.
Jose has I think tried moving Ndombele slightly back in MF.

I would suggest there is a mixture of factors contributing to our improved form.

For me, it is all about what happens next. No manager wins diddly squat playing the way Jose tried for the first half of the season. A one-off game, yes. A sustained campaign. Never.

If he embraces this change in philosophy and moulds his squad around it then he has a fighting chance of turning things around. If this is just a temporary state whilst he waits for the dissenting voices calm down, then he'll fall on his sword.

We will all know soon enough. Where I will give Jose some benefit of the doubt is around personnel. Whilst we all agree that the system employed in the last week was better, we also know that it is compromised by 5 or 6 squad players. Mostly, a couple of them play each game and others sit on the bench.