What's gone wrong with Harry... | Page 3 | Vital Football

What's gone wrong with Harry...

From BBC Sport

Harry Kane had 20 touches against Spain, the second lowest in the England team ahead of only Danny Welbeck - who came on in stoppage time .

Simply awful is a bit harsh. He did turn his man and feed Shaw for his assist for Rashford, a key contribution for a goal. He had a header on target. Our MF gave him little to work with partly due to Spain's strength there. When Dier replaced Henderson he started some probing longish passing and seemed to have the time and space to do it. Alli came close a couple of times to putting Harry through but our MF struggled until Dier came on. I can't see Harry missing the chances Rashford had.

It has been mentioned how unproductive England's MF was against Spain making Harry feed off scraps. Even before he has hardly played any minutes on his comeback Winks is being suggested as the answer both for us and England.

Winks has had 2 our 3 cameos of competitive football in 7 months. That doesn't mean that he won't be able to contribute more for club and country though. He's made the statement that his fitness is "nearly there" and he now wants more time on the pitch. He needs to get his sharpness tuned again.

What Southgate needs to think about is how Poch uses him at club level. Poch knows his composure on the ball means that he's about as good a second half sub as you get. He can hold onto the ball, add some industry and protect leads. He can get on the ball, get the tempo up and chase games. He can sit deep in front of the back 4 or he can get further forward and get involved with the AM's.

Obviously, the last thing we want is a setback in his comeback. I wouldn't want him being thrown in against Switzerland from the start tomorrow even though that would be a free 90 mins in a pointless friendly. He may not get that at Spurs. However, I would think about him as a sub for the Croatia and Spain games if in 4-5 weeks time IF he's got more involved at Spurs.

Can't wait to see more of him this season. He could end up being our main midfielder going into the second half of the season. He'll eventually walk into the England squad and bring something they haven't got right now.

From what I read and see with my own eyes the answer as an attacking midfield player till a world class option turns up is more likely to be James Maddison. With winks beside a sitter Dier/Henderson. Madisson replacing Alli or Lingerard who were both as anonymous as Harry.

Nothing is wrong with Harry, considering how good a striker he is he still gets a lot of stick even from Spurs fans. Every striker in the world will have periods of time when they're not fully at it, Kane hardly goes on many bad runs (apart from the August thing) I dare to think what it's going to be like when he actually goes on a long drought because it will happen.

Due to start tomorrow - his 62nd start since start of last year

From what I read and see with my own eyes the answer as an attacking midfield player till a world class option turns up is more likely to be James Maddison. With winks beside a sitter Dier/Henderson. Madisson replacing Alli or Lingerard who were both as anonymous as Harry.

It's funny, Carrick would have been the no.1. pick if we'd try to play like this a few years back; now we're trying to find a player who can screen the back 3, hold and shield the ball and is always looking to be on the front foot, take the ball in half-spaces and take/pass it forward....

In other words the sort of 'Quarter-back' that can dicatate tempo and set the game up for our forwards to stop them coming back into midfield as they did with Spain to pick up the ball..

Winks, Madison, Hughes...perhaps Wilshire if he ever gets back to his best...what they will never be is a Dier or Henderson....who else have we got?

Did Maddison get called up? If not then what is Southgate playing at. He has been good in the league so far

Did Maddison get called up? If not then what is Southgate playing at. He has been good in the league so far
Think U21 mate. I suspect Southgate is trying to set a kind of frame work where promotion through the ranks is earned on gaining trust behaving as expected no fast tracking. Not sure he has that luxury on what I saw on Saturday though.

Changes since the World Cup squad of 23...

Pope (injured), Cahill (retired), Young (dropped), Vardy (retired)
McCarthy, Tarkowski, Gomez, Shaw in.

Southgate has basically only dropped one player, Young, and brought in only returning defenders in his new squad. Aside from Bettinelli, it's only been since the Spain game that he's brought in an U21 attacking player in Demarai Gray along with a defender replacement for Shaw, Ben Chilwell. Coincidentally, both play their football at the King power Stadium. Not even a hint that he's willing to look at other midfielders or attacking players like Maddison.

I would play the following tomorrow

Butland
Walker, Stones, Tarkwoski
Trent, Dier, Delph, Rose
Rashford, Wellbeck, Lingard

Switzerland hit Iceland for 6 at the weekend. Remember them?

Southgate has confirmed Kane will be rested against Switzerland. Starting to think he should be rested against Liverpool too!!

Of course we can win without him but I guarantee we have more chance of winning with him in the team.

Certain games we could maybe leave him out but against Liverpool we can't afford to, lets say we did drop him and we get battered? 99% of fans would go mad. A risk we really can't afford to make.