What's gone wrong with Harry... | Vital Football

What's gone wrong with Harry...

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ics-that-show-how-striker-has-faded-bkm8fz35l

What’s wrong with Harry Kane? How an ankle injury changed the way England’s captain plays
new
James Gheerbrant
September 4 2018, 5:00pm, The Times

Kane is taking fewer shots at goal since suffering an ankle injury against Bournemouth in MarchRex Features

On March 11, at the Vitality Stadium, in the 29th minute of a match against Bournemouth, Harry Kane rolled his ankle in a collision with Asmir Begovic. Christian Eriksen curled a probing, dipping ball around Nathan Aké into an area around eight yards out from goal and Kane — who was offside — met it with a sidefoot half-volley, a fraction of a second before Begovic, leading with his legs, clattered him, inadvertently buckling Kane’s right ankle under his left leg.

I was there: it was a drizzly, low-key sort of Sunday afternoon, coming on the heels of Tottenham’s epic Champions League defeat by Juventus, and initially it didn’t seem like a particularly climactic or defining moment in the career of England’s best player. Kane didn’t yelp, or writhe in agony; instead, he held his ankle with a look of mild discomfort rather than alarm, and hobbled off the pitch minutes later. But of course, this was three months out from the World Cup, and this is a country that owes its knowledge of the word “metatarsal” to the sports pages in the spring months of even-numbered years. Kane left the stadium wearing a plastic boot, and his fitness became a topic of mild national neurosis in the following weeks: would he be fit enough to excel at the World Cup?

Of course, we all know what happened next. Kane returned a month later, making a 16-minute cameo against Chelsea on April 1 before starting the subsequent game against Stoke City on April 7. He scored in that game and got five further goals in the remaining six matches of the season. Then he went to the World Cup where he won the Golden Boot as, behind Kane’s six goals, Gareth Southgate’s team produced the deepest tournament run by an England team in a generation. Oh, and he’s the favourite for BBC Sports Personality of the Year. All was well. Harry Kane was fine.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd67ab8ca-b063-11e8-aee4-2a4471c1859d.png

And yet, is he? On a superficial level, Kane has undeniably continued to score at something like the same rate he did before he got injured. All told, since that Chelsea game he has 15 goals in 19 matches for club and country at a rate of 0.79 goals per 90 minutes; a bit behind the 0.99 goals per 90 he was clocking last season before he got injured, but still very much in the realm of an elite striker.

It’s perfectly legitimate to think that this is the only thing which really matters, because in a very real way, of course, it is. If Kane continues to score goals at this rate, he’ll remain an enormous asset to Tottenham and England and continue to be bracketed among the best strikers in world football. But dig a little deeper and it’s clear that, since his injury, Kane has not been the same player.

Think of a striker like an iceberg. The goals are, like the bit above the waterline, the only bit that anyone really notices. But they’re only a small fraction of the whole. Beneath the surface lies a huge body of work that helps to keep those goal numbers buoyant. And while Kane’s goalscoring contribution still looks monolithic, since his injury the rest of his game has melted away alarmingly.

Perhaps the main thing that makes Harry Kane great, the statistical footprint of his excellence, is the incredibly high number of shots he takes. In the 2016-17 season, for example, he took 3.9 shots per game, according to statistics provided by Opta, and prior to his injury last season he was averaging 5.96 shots a match.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fde509290-b063-11e8-aee4-2a4471c1859d.png

You might not think that shot volume is particularly impressive or important in itself; after all, surely anyone can take a few digs at goal? In reality though, taking lots of shots is one thing that reliably sets great strikers apart. As well as Kane, the other leading per-90-minute shooters in Europe’s top four leagues last season were Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Lorenzo Insigne, Edin Dzeko and Robert Lewandowski, so the correlation between great strikers and strikers who shoot often is clear.

And if you think about what distinguishes Kane and his ilk on the pitch, this makes sense. Imagine, for example, a situation where the ball is rolling across him 20 yards out, perhaps on his wrong foot, with a defender closing in. Lesser strikers might take a touch, allowing the defender to recover and meaning the chance is lost. What Kane is brilliant at, at his best, is setting himself and getting the shot off early.

Except that, since his injury, Kane hasn’t really been doing that. In fact, his shot numbers have collapsed alarmingly. In 19 matches for club and country since his return, he has only averaged 2.57 shots per 90 minutes — by far the lowest level of his career. To put it even more starkly: Kane played 42 matches prior to his injury last season and hit five or more shots in 29 of those games. He was regularly shooting eight or ten times a match. But in the 19 matches since his injury, he has only hit five shots once: against West Bromwich Albion in May.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fe64a3d7e-b05f-11e8-aee4-2a4471c1859d.png

That would be less concerning if Kane was still generating the same quality of shots, but again, the numbers tell a more inauspicious story. Throughout his career, apart from a small dip in the 2014-15 season, Kane has consistently operated at slightly over two shots on target per 90 minutes. Last season, before he got injured, he was getting off 2.46 shots on target per 90 minutes. But since he came back after his injury, the frequency with which Kane works the keeper has dwindled — he is averaging 0.99 shots on target per 90 minutes since his return. His expected goals — a measure of the chance quality of the shots Kane takes - have also been cut in half, from 0.85 per 90 minutes prior to his injury last season, to 0.43 since his return.

Why? One clue may lie in the areas that Kane is operating in. Since his injury, it has appeared that Kane isn’t getting into the box as much, and that’s borne out by the numbers. Last season prior to his injury, he was taking an average of 7.20 touches in the opposition box per match. Since his return, the figure has dropped to 4.35.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fe6d324dc-b063-11e8-aee4-2a4471c1859d.png

Unlike strikers blessed with extreme pace, Kane doesn’t often get clear in behind — he scores a lot of his goals in the crowded spaces of the penalty box, with defenders in close attendance. It may be that the lingering effects of his injury, either physical or psychological, are making him more reluctant to prowl in those heavily policed areas where strikers risk getting crunched.

So, should we be worried? Well, yes and no. On one hand, it’s fairly clear that for now, Kane is not the same sort of striker he was before his injury. The numbers that buoyed his phenomenal goalscoring feats in past seasons have subsided and for the moment, show little sign of returning to previous levels. On the other hand, he is still scoring, and there are signs that Kane is adapting to being a different sort of striker with a reasonable amount of success.

Take those typical Kane shots, where he sets himself early and takes the shot first time. The numbers suggest these have become less frequent. Opta data shows that the percentage of touches Kane takes that are shots climbed steadily from 7.5 per cent in 2014-15, to 9.4 per cent in 2015-16, 9.9 per cent in 2016-17, and then shot up to 16.0 per cent last season before he got injured. Since his return, the figure has fallen to 7.9 per cent. In other words, he’s taking fewer first-time shots.

However, what’s enabling Kane to score at something approaching previous levels is the fact that his shot conversion has shot up. Last season, before he got injured, he was scoring 14.8 per cent of his shots. Since his return, he’s scoring 25 per cent, a level he has only got near in one previous season (2016-17). One possible, if optimistic, interpretation is that Kane has adapted to the constraints of his recovery by being a lot more selective in the shots he takes on. As long as he can keep his shot conversion at that astronomically high level, he’ll be able to ride out the decline in his shot volume without seeing a huge drop-off in his goals.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F00fee412-b060-11e8-aee4-2a4471c1859d.png

So is Harry Kane broken, or better than ever? The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. All the data suggests that the ankle knock he suffered in March, although it looked innocuous, was a significant turning point, one that has fundamentally altered Kane’s game and compromised a lot of what made him great. And yet, he has still found a way to keep scoring.

More at the link above....

From 2015......

Former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has revealed to talkSPORT how Frank Lampard senior helped Harry Kane improve his game, en route to being a top player.
Redknapp said Lampard was impressed by Kane’s ability as a youngster, but told the 21-year-old the use of running spikes would “sharpen” his performance.
“I remember two, three years ago a young Harry Kane played in a game at Tottenham’s training ground and Frank Lampard senior was there,” Redknapp said while co-hosting talkSPORT’s Drivetime show.
“Frank said: ‘I like him Harry, he just needs to get some spikes’. I said, ‘Well, he’s here Frank, have a word with him.’
“He walked over to Kane and said: ‘Harry, nice to see you. I like you, you’re going to be a good player. Just get some spikes to sharpen yourself up’.
“And Harry [Kane] did it, he just needed a little bit of advice and Frank gave him that.”

My theory is that Harry needs to put the spikes back on and sharpen up again !!!

Spike his shots and he doesn't even drink!
Great post Ex , I think everyone on here has commented that he is not the same player as before the injury . Bizarrely I think it showed more in the World Cup than anywhere , but there he was left alone up front without any back up , Which didn't help .
Others would know better than me ,but I get the impression he could do with a month off............perhaps in January , Mr Levy

Glad you posted that Ex, it confirms my earlier post yesterday, his stats are down on everything, he is a changed player and not for the better.
One thing is doesn't mention is the quality of his passing, at his best his passing could be fantastic, against Watford he mucked up a simple pass to Lucas when both were clear that should have put us 2-0 up.

I am more worried about his game than most on here it seems, I don't for a minute believe it's all about tiredness, tiredness would not stop him getting in the box or getting shots off, he's non existent in most games, so WTF does he look like in training ?
Has no one at the club noticed anything ?

Last edited:
Glad you posted that Ex, it confirms my earlier post yesterday, his stats are down on everything, he is a changed player and not for the better.
One thing is doesn't mention is the quality of his passing, at his best his passing could be fantastic, against Watford he mucked up a simple pass to Lucas when both were clear that should have put us 2-0 up.

I am more worried about his game than most on here it seems, I don't for a minute believe it's all about tiredness, tiredness would not stop him getting in the box or getting shots off, he's non existent in most games, so WTF does he look like in training ?
Has no one at the club noticed anything ?

Well I've said it enough times here about how injuries can affect fitness/form and touch which all lead to you having self doubt that can eat away at your natural game.

The reality is Harry himself knows he's not right - hence why he was down on winning the Golden Boot.

All I can say without seeing the medical data is that everything with him appears 'slightly off' - his decision making, his reactions and his reading of when and when not to make those telling runs.

The one thing I know for absolute certain is that study after study of tp flight players shows that playing as long as he has without a proper break impacts performance data.

So for me, I do believe it is a combination of the injuries to his ankle, speeding him back and sheer simple fatigue - the sort that undermines what your body is capable of doing.

His energy levels have dropped and that's a sure sign of that being at least 50% of the issue.

Like you, I'm deeply worried about his game and that not having adequate cover that can compete with him is why Llorente should have been shipped out and a new/younger up and coming striker should have been pursued.

Why is he still in the England squad?

As a club we are failing at protecting our players.
Couldn't agree more Pollo.
That England squad is a joke , there is no way in the world that Harry will be rested for this game , there simply isn't another striker worth giving the shirt to . If Harry gets injured , who comes on ? Wellbeck ? Really !
We should pull him out of this game ,with a bad back . I bet no other team has thought of doing that with one of their players !!!

Couldn't agree more Pollo.
That England squad is a joke , there is no way in the world that Harry will be rested for this game , there simply isn't another striker worth giving the shirt to . If Harry gets injured , who comes on ? Wellbeck ? Really !
We should pull him out of this game ,with a bad back . I bet no other team has thought of doing that with one of their players !!!
Welbeck is exactly who should and must play him and Rashford have done zero for months.Poch needs to get gangsta with Southgate

Kane is captain, can see why Poch wouldn't be able to throw his weight around for the first match but I fully expect Kane to be rested for the 2nd if Southgate has any respect whatsoever.

For Harry he's probably over thought it but I don't think anyone would have a problem with him pulling out for fatigue considering he's had no break and no pre season.

Agree that Kane should play Sat, but not Tuesday.

The U21's have Solanke, Calvert-Lewin, Lookman and Abraham so promote one and have a look at them in the senior setup. Are UEFA U21 qualifiers more important than the seniors nowadays?

Then you have Callum Wilson, Daniel Sturridge and Jay Rodriguez to call upon. Rodriguez and Wilson in the goals. Sturridge in great form in pre-season and has won Klopp over for now.

Also, where is the game on Tuesday? King Power Stadium Leicester. Who is their favourite son who said he was only a phone call away from helping Southgate out. For me, it would be time to get Vardy out on that pitch and let the England fans sing his name one last time before retiring.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/the-stats-that-show-harry-kane-is-in-desperate-need-of-a-rest

Football / The Stats That Show Harry Kane Is In Desperate Need Of A Rest

David Irwin
-

12:06, 05 Sep 2018

KaneEngland.jpg

Is the Spurs and England man feeling the pinch?

Tottenham’s England striker has returned to international duty this week ahead of the Three Lions’ UEFA Nations League bow with the usual vigour - but his showings so far this season indicate he might be better served to spend the week watching it the same way the rest of us will.
Last March, in the middle of his effort at winning the two-horse race with Liverpool’s Mo Salah for the Premier League Golden Boot, the 25-year-old came out second best in coming together with the Bournemouth goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and suffered ligament damage in his ankle. A rushed return to action trying to cling to the Egyptians coattails has, it seems, left a lasting mark on the player.
Kane, the English top flight's top scorer in consecutive seasons before the last, averaged 4.9 shots a game last term, but in a four-game sample since the start of the new campaign, he’s running at just 2.5 a game.
A normally unerring touch that brings his teammates into play so ably has been deserting him at times, too, with his total number of unsuccessful touches of the ball doubling from an average of 1.9 last term to 3.8.
Despite getting over his annual August hump with two goals, those figures indicate that the typically consistent striker is operating at a sub-par level on the front end of the Spurs attack.
A long summer in Russia on international duty won’t have helped his case, either, with suggestions that he suffered a further knock in the exhausting penalty shootout win over Colombia at the last 16 stage being widespread after the game.
Kane hobbled on and claimed the Golden Boot award for the tournament but looked a poor imitation of himself in the semi-final loss to Croatia, in particular.
In this first international break of the new term, the England number nine - or rather one of his staff - posted a message on social media about his glee at returning to the George’s Park grindstone.
“Great being back in the England camp. Time to refocus looking forward, not back,” it read.
But if Kane is to move forward he, and both Mauricio Pochettino and Gareth Southgate, must surely look back at what was a 59-game, 51-goal, injury blighted last season for him, and consider the merits of easing up on his workload to protect an invaluable asset for both club and country in the longer term.

The lad is going into his 5th straight season of being over played. He is on empty.

When you don't get enough rest your body doesn't heal as quickly. He needed more time off when he had the ankle injury but what does Poch do? Throws him in when he wasn't ready as we do not have anyone good enough to step in. He has done the same with Wana as well.

Poch makes some dumb decisions and running this lad into the ground is nothing short of stupidity.

IT begs the question, when exactly did UEFA think the international players would get a rest after the World Cup . What exactly is the point of this friendly tournament other than making more money and giving lower ranking teams, that Didn't qualify for the WC , a back door entry to the euros.
Or have I got it wrong ,and this is a tournament we should be busting a gut for

Didn’t Poch say that Kane turned up for training 2 days after he got back from the WC. Poch should have told him to get lost but Kane was about to have another baby so couldn’t really get away. Poch should have told Southgate that these next 2 weeks harry is going for a well deserved vacation

Is there a problem that we have that isn’t down to not having a squad?

He can’t be dropped because there isn’t another option

We've played and won without him so that's nonsense really. Son can play up top, I'm sure a 3 of Dele, Lamela and Moura with maybe Dele as the false 9 would work too.

But forcing him to rest seems to be harder than you'd think. He's not taken no for an answer since AVB tried to send him on loan.