What's going to be our preferred formation? | Vital Football

What's going to be our preferred formation?

Spursex

Alert Team
Nuno is tactically flexible, although to my mind all he's done so far makes us more cohesive, smarter, and more difficult to beat, we've yet to see the promised 'exciting football' that will make us proud (his words).

We now know who he's got to use. N'Dombele is a challenge, but hopefully one he can rise too; the defence is looking so much more composed, yet we haven't even played Romero yet.

Skippy has done well and Holbeg looks a differnt player under Nuno. Dele is working hard, but hasn't yet found his form and touch, I suspect he will because he's shown his commitment by the summer and putting in the hard yards now.

"Royal" could be anything, but even Doherty is said to have played like a demon against Portugual.

Harry is here for at least a year, but I still suspect keeping him motivated will be a tough ask unless of course, we sweep all before us (unlikely).

Son has signed a long term deal after a lot of foot-dragging, but he's now comitted. Gil looks a baller and I suspect wioll only get better.

The rest we could argue over for a good while.

Is that our spine?

So what formation and why would you start?

Three at the back for me, until we know hoe Tanguy and GLC are going to perform we need Skip and PEH.
Our attacking threat needs to come from the wing backs, much the same as pool. That also allows us to play 3 up top.

Lloris
Emers sanch Rom Reg
Hoj Skipp Ndom
Son Kane Dele

Dele in the spot he made his name and Hoj covering for Sons lack of defense.

It will take time for Rom and Ndom to force their way in if at all. Hopefully they josh do cause it would be great.

I was literally in the middle of doing a similar thread.

I would stick with a 433.

I don't like Ndombele but assuming he gets fit and motivated I would pick him.

Hugo

Tanganga
Sanchez
Romero
Reggie

Hojbjerg
Dele
Ndombele

Son
Bryan
Kane.

That is our most exciting team for me.

Wouldn't mind that but defensively?? I guess with better ball retention and more dangerous offensively you end up defending less!

Wouldn't mind that but defensively?? I guess with better ball retention and more dangerous offensively you end up defending less!

Agree it is a risk defensively. But I have always been a believer in playing your best attacking players.

I think Dele has the smarts to be more defensive. Him adapting to that position would be key for the system to work as we all know Ndombele will be the weak link defensively.

If Dele can't adapt I would chuck Skippy back in there.

I think between Ndombele and Gil they would add a different dimension to our current game.

I don't think lo Celso, Bergwinj and Lucas have the ability we need in keeping possession.

It's an interesting one of the stats so far, at least in terms of possession against Wolves and Watford we had near 60% of the ball, both with a high pass success rate, against ManC of course it was a differnet story. Perhaps too early to use the stats, but they are also an indicator of how we're winning duels and cutting out the opposition's passes., which are easing the relentless pressure we were under in Joses tactical set-up.

My preference is to stick with 4-3-3 for now, as it may be a while until all part and all players are settled, the tricky bit for me is how we embrace N'dom (assuming of course that he steps up).

I can see 3 at the back...Romero, Sanchez and Dier...kind of ...are mobile. The key with a 3 back is you better have a rock solid midfield...and that is the primary reason I am not sure that we can pull it off. (our midfield has yet to truly impress me...)

The only thing I hope is that Nuno gets to a Plan B system way quicker than Poch did. I don't blame him right now for getting the entire squad aligned around his 4-3-3 system based on the tasks he gives them. Cement that in first and then become a little more elaborate.

Poch's system was 4-2-3-1 and he was incredibly unlucky with the injuries that stopped his 3 at the back system. He failed at moving to a more fluid 4-3-3 system, messed Eriksen's role up and over-empowered the headless chicken, Sissoko. He never taught Son some basics in defensive positioning for forwards. It became a mess and the rest is history.

I do think we have a squad to accomodate different systems, but perhaps too many games to start tinkering too much. I would stick with the 4-3-3, but just make it more fluid.

I'm not giving Ndombele a pass. If he's not willing or able to put a shift in he's going to leave us exposed. He has to adapt to the physical side of things over here or leave, it's as simple as that.

We absolutely have to see a greater application from him, all I can hope is that with his superior skills and creativity he'll understand to be a great player he has to go all in.

Data Analysis: How Tottenham have managed three 1-0 wins so far

By
Namit Sharma
-

Tottenham Hotspur entertained Watford at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Sunday in game week 3 of the Premier League. Spurs clinched their third 1-0 victory in as many games to go top of the table.
Spurs-vs-Watford_page-0006-scaled.jpg

Spurs took on the Hornets and were able to win 1-0 through a Heung-Min Son free kick right before halftime. This was Tottenham’s third consecutive 1-0 victory this season and the victory took them to the top of the Premier League table.
Tottenham produced a high xG of 1.92 compared to a low 0.9 for the Hornets. Tottenham dominated possession in the entire first half, and also in the first 20 minutes of the second. Watford, in an attempt to find the equalizer, applied constant pressure and had more possession in the last half an hour of the match.
Tottenham took a total of 16 shots in the game, out of which 8 were on target. Watford only took 7 with just 2 on target. Tottenham had to defend a lot in the final moments of the match, and were successful in keeping their third consecutive clean sheet.
This meant that now, they are the only team in the entire division that are yet to concede a goal.
Even more impressive is the fact that they also faced Manchester City in one of these three games.
Spurs-vs-Watford_page-0010-scaled.jpg

The expected threat (xT) timeline of the match shows that Spurs posed a constant threat to the Hornets’ defence throughout the game, while Watford themselves only started gaining xT in the last half an hour of the match when they were searching for an equalizer.
The xG timeline also depicts a similar story, with Tottenham’s xG rising throughout the match, while the Hornets posed a low xG in the first half, and only had one spike of increase in xG in the second half.
Screenshot-20.png

This season, as shown above, Tottenham have been very disciplined in defence and have not conceded a single goal so far. They have only allowed 10 shots on goal in the 3 games, which is fewer than only Man City, West Ham United and Liverpool.
Spurs have also been involved in the third most defensive duels(229) so far this season, only behind Leeds United(230) and Brighton(241).
Tottenham have been really disciplined in defence, and if they keep up their defensive shape and form all through the season, can be hopeful of an improved league finish.
Screenshot-19.png

In terms of attack, Tottenham might not be the most creative, but they have been clinical enough to carve out a goal in each game. Pairing that with a successful defence, they have been able to win 3 matches with a 1-0 scoreline. They have taken only 37 shots so far in 3 matches, putting them in 10th in the list of the number of shots taken(Liverpool has 60), but as one can see in the above visual, their percentage of shots on target is the second-best in the league only behind West Ham.
This proves that whenever Tottenham create any opportunity, they have been clinical enough to test the goalkeeper or trouble the opponent’s defence.
In conclusion, even though it is pretty early in the season to predict the outcomes, but it is fair to say that if Tottenham keep up this kind of form, they might well be a surprise title contenders for the 21-22 Premier League Season – but, of course, it is a very small data sample at this point.

For me start with Plan A then with correct substitutions/rotations Plan B

Plan A Start
Hugo
Sanchez...Romero...Dier(Rodon)
Emmers...Hoj...Skippy...Reggie
Deli...Kane...Son

Plan B
Hugo
Tanganga...Sanchez...Romero...Reggie
Gilly...Hoj...Skippy...N'Dombele
Kane...Son

Just a couple of thoughts.

I would still like to see us try a 4-1-3-2 system at some stage, especially at home.

Lloris
Tanganga, Sanchez, Romero, Reggie
Skipp
Gio, Ndombele, Dele
Kane, Son

I'd love to see what Gio, Dele and Tanguy could do together, with the width coming from the full-backs.

I'd certainly consider Bryan instead of Tanguy if he keeps messing us about.

I don't like the formation, but given our abundance of defenders and wingbacks and our lack of reliable depth in CM, I think we will see plenty of 5-3-2/5-2-3 this season.

We can't afford Skipp and/or Hojbjerg to pick up injuries causing them to be out for lengthy spells.

I can't stand playing with 3 CBS. Such a negative formation.

Why lose an attacking player for a defensive one?

I don't mind going that way during a game to become more compact and solid but we should never start with it.

It only works offensively when you have players as good as Vertonghen who can run into space with the ball in that channel about 15 yards in from the full width of the pitch. Teams don't setup for defending that player.

From what I see, we only really have that with Romero and perhaps Japhet when he matures that can do that.

I'd stick with 4.