What's going to be our preferred formation? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What's going to be our preferred formation?

Mind you, our only recent experience was moron and Poch doing it badly. Maybe we need to see Nunos version of 3 at the back.

I think Romero would be incredible playing DM.

He is aggressive in the tackle and is well able to pick a pass. If Dier and Sanchez continue to form a decent partnership at the back, playing Romero as the DM with two of Dele, Ndombele or Lo Celso would be an option imo.

Was thinking the same thing.

In some ways, comparing Dele and Skipp at this stage is very tough on Dele. Skipp plays a very simple position. He protects the back line and feeds the play makers further forward. He uses his defensive smarts to be in the right position at the right time and he is clearly brave in the way he plays.

Dele's role is on another level of complexity. He could focus all game on sitting like Skipp does, but he knows he has to get up and down the pitch and be the receiver from Skipp. We all know that at his best there is barely a player in the Prem better at pulling players out of their positions and creating holes for others. For me, that is his biggest attribute and is achieved by his marathon running. His football intelligence is in some ways ahead of his technique.

Perhaps the better comparison is Bergwijn and Dele. I'm really liking how Stevie's game enables others. His constant movement and defensive smarts has been a massive factor this season. However, we all see him fail to execute some simple passes and his finishing has been poor. That is why the jury is out.

Some nice problems to have though.

It's also a case of knowing how Nuno sees PEH's role. For his int'l side he's forward of the the to DM's whereas for us, mostly stays in defensive mode. Inclusion of ND should also help Kane stay up top, I think it's sheer frustration of not seeing the ball (@ Spurs and England) that he comes deep trying to create.

Also a roaming (slower) Kane is not suited to the runs of Moura and Bergwijn as he's still stuck in their wake and we then miss the end target man.

Whilst some folks constantly talk about a 'slower' Kane still netting 25 goals per season, sure, my argument is that we could potentially get 35 out of him with a tweak in formation and increased output from the man himself.

Ideally I'd like ND back in the fold so that he and Dele can push us forward.

I'm sorry guys but when it comes to Romero i'd be sticking him at CB. He's one of the best young CBs in Europe atm. I see no point in moving him further up the field when there are other candidates in the squad who are better qualified to do that.

Some way, somehow we're going to have to integrate Ndombele back into the side. He's a talented young man, now is the time for him to prove it.

I can't stand playing with 3 CBS. Such a negative formation.

Why lose an attacking player for a defensive one?

I don't mind going that way during a game to become more compact and solid but we should never start with it.
I don't necessarily see it as a negative RD, a lot depends on the attacking quality of the wing backs. Quality wing backs can stretch the opposition and I would argue that it gives you more attacking options, I also think it allows you to play 3 up front.

I don't necessarily see it as a negative RD, a lot depends on the attacking quality of the wing backs. Quality wing backs can stretch the opposition and I would argue that it gives you more attacking options, I also think it allows you to play 3 up front.

And the attacking quality of the left and right centre halves. If the wing-backs get nullified, you normally find that the 2 players inside can move forward with the ball. No better than Vertonghen at it.