What Will Our Team Look Like at the Start Of The PL Season | Vital Football

What Will Our Team Look Like at the Start Of The PL Season

SmithAndJones

Vital 1st Team Regular
Apparently Foyth has made his move to Villareal permanent. Mixed feelings, although he was always error prone with us, he gave the impression of having a bit of class and potential. Probably though this is the best outcome for the player and for Spurs.
It won't be lost on the new DOF and Manager that a thorough shake up is required within the playing squad, what remains to be seen is to what extent, and whether the new management set up looks for players with PL experience or a preference for players elsewhere in Europe who may constitute better value.
It's interesting to speculate on what may happen over the next few weeks, not purely based on press speculation, but also from the perspective of maybe what fans would like to see.
My view;
- Kane, Aurier and Foyth have already or are almost certainly gone.
- Alderweireld, Sissoko and Lamela have served their time at Spurs and can be moved on with no significant resale value.
- Winks, Sanchez, Moura and Bergwijn to be 'subject to suitable offers from elsewhere'.
- New Players in to include Sterling and Bernado Silva as part of the Kane move, Aarons and Cantwell from Norwich, Tarkowsky from Burnley, and Abraham from Chelsea.
Line up at start of new season;
Lloris
Aarons Tanganga Tarkowsky, Reguilon
Skipp
Ndombele Dele
Son Abraham Sterling

Subs; Hart, Dier, Davies, Sessegnon, Lo Celso, Bernado Silva, Cantwell

It would be interesting to see whose line-up comes closet to the starting eleven for the first PL fixture of the new season.

Last edited:
What makes you think Cantwell will be coming here? If he does, he won't be coming to sit on the bench of our average squad. Again, were potential, giving preferential treatment to underperforming Alli, when Cantwell, Silva, and many other players offer more. Aarons, I hear, has expressed an interest to join our neighbors down the road rather than us. Reguilon and his defensive weaknesses are a source of opposition targetting. Davies, won't improve that; we need an upgraded LB too.

What makes you think Cantwell will be coming here? If he does, he won't be coming to sit on the bench of our average squad. Again, were potential, giving preferential treatment to underperforming Alli, when Cantwell, Silva, and many other players offer more. Aarons, I hear, has expressed an interest to join our neighbors down the road rather than us. Reguilon and his defensive weaknesses are a source of opposition targetting. Davies, won't improve that; we need an upgraded LB too.

I'm putting forward suggestions as to players I'd like to see us go for Rich, not necessarily those we have been linked with. I've put forward both Cantwell and Bernado Silva because for me AM is our biggest problem area. Dele is put forward as likely to start the season albeit many of us have concerns as to whether he will reestablish himself fully, whilst I have equal concerns as regards Lo Celso who I feel is pretty average.

I'm putting forward suggestions as to players I'd like to see us go for Rich, not necessarily those we have been linked with. I've put forward both Cantwell and Bernado Silva because for me AM is our biggest problem area. Dele is put forward as likely to start the season albeit many of us have concerns as to whether he will reestablish himself fully, whilst I have equal concerns as regards Lo Celso who I feel is pretty average.

Okay, thanks for the clarity. I agree about AM being a big problem area. I would like to see the names of Alli and LoCelso added to the 'subject to suitable offers from elsewhere' category. For me, they have done little to separate themselves from the names already on that list.

Okay, thanks for the clarity. I agree about AM being a big problem area. I would like to see the names of Alli and LoCelso added to the 'subject to suitable offers from elsewhere' category. For me, they have done little to separate themselves from the names already on that list.
Wouldn't disagree with that at all.

I would like us to bring in at least 3 English players.

GK Ramsdale
RB Jayden Bogle
CB White

1st 11

GK Ramsdale

RB Bogle
CB Sanchez
CB White
LB Reggie

CM Hojbjerg
CM Bissouma

AM Bergwinj
AM Ndombele
AM Dele

ST Son

This forum rated Dele Alli as our best player although only over 25 games. He was top in the second half of the season over 17 games also. Some have suggested had Jose played him more our points tally might be higher in the PL.
Dele rated our 7 th best player across both media and forum for the whole season. With a rating above 6 which is not easy.
So there may be a perception Dele is worse than he is ? But that's only by a few, not the many.

The majority argument doesn't hold much sway with me. Take Lamela's case as an example; the majority were bigging him up, but the truth is, for eight years in a row, he hasn't been good enough and continues to prove the minority right.
Alli is another example of inadequacy, dropped by his country three years ago and still not good enough to make a provisional squad of 33 names for the Euros. I think the majority should take heed & not be so dismissive of what the minority has to say.

The majority argument doesn't hold much sway with me. Take Lamela's case as an example; the majority were bigging him up, but the truth is, for eight years in a row, he hasn't been good enough and continues to prove the minority right.
Alli is another example of inadequacy, dropped by his country three years ago and still not good enough to make a provisional squad of 33 names for the Euros. I think the majority should take heed & not be so dismissive of what the minority has to say.

Fair point. But Levy has just said we will have a zero net spend for years to come.

Like it or not Dele is better than most of our options. We can't rebuild a squad in one summer. So he has to stay for the forseible.

Ramsdale is an average keeper. Part of the reason Sheffield united were poor this season. Why on earth would we want him as our number 1.

Ramsdale is an average keeper. Part of the reason Sheffield united were poor this season. Why on earth would we want him as our number 1.
A bit unkind imo. I watched fair few of their games last season and I'd say he kept the goals against column down (63). Their problem was at the other end = 20!!. Seen some spectacular saves from him. He's 23 yr old, vocal, can be improved.

Last edited:
It's time to let Lamela go in the season he got goal of the season. His ratings were below Dele but still above 6. He was good enough to convince a number of professional coaches of a high calibre that he was good enough over 8 years. In particular Jose, one of the all time best managers ever. Jose liked Lamela. That's good enough for me.

It's time to let Lamela go in the season he got goal of the season. His ratings were below Dele but still above 6. He was good enough to convince a number of professional coaches of a high calibre that he was good enough over 8 years. In particular Jose, one of the all time best managers ever. Jose liked Lamela. That's good enough for me.

But he was always injured. Just think back to when Dele and Eriksen were our main AMS he was our next in line and he was always injured. Talent means jack shit if you can't play on a regular basis.

Sometimes you have to look past the training sessions and the odd rabona. We should have let him walk after his 1st contract ended. A real winner would have.

Fair point. But Levy has just said we will have a zero net spend for years to come.

Like it or not Dele is better than most of our options. We can't rebuild a squad in one summer. So he has to stay for the forseible.

We should not have put ourselves in a position of hanging onto players who are not good enough. Alli is a stale and ever-decreasing, not good enough option; to describe him as one of our best emphasizes the scale of our decline. Unless our new manager can work miracles, our foreseeable with Alli as it's constant isn't very bright.

We should not have put ourselves in a position of hanging onto players who are not good enough. Alli is a stale and ever-decreasing, not good enough option; to describe him as one of our best emphasizes the scale of our decline. Unless our new manager can work miracles, our foreseeable with Alli as it's constant isn't very bright.

Agree. But our owners do not allow us to operate in the way a top 10 rich club should do.

We need a new scouting system in place to sign young talented players at prices we can afford and we need to sign the best youngsters for the academy we can.

Hopefully Fabio is the answer. 🤞

We literally can not operate in any other way if we want to be CL regulars.

There are half a dozen examples across Europe. Leicester, Ajax, Leipzig, Dortmund, Athletico and Lille that operate on a tight budget but compete and win trophies.

But he was always injured. Just think back to when Dele and Eriksen were our main AMS he was our next in line and he was always injured. Talent means jack shit if you can't play on a regular basis.

Sometimes you have to look past the training sessions and the odd rabona. We should have let him walk after his 1st contract ended. A real winner would have.

The point being made was that he wasn't good enough. No mention of injuries.