What we really need now is | Vital Football

What we really need now is

Baghdad_Rob

Vital 1st Team Regular
for the manager to be sacked and for Lovell to come in as caretaker manager to give us that boost he normally gives.

Oh wait, buggar :slap:

............ and people were saying good riddance to Josh Wright

And I would say it again... and again..and again

At least we have two more points than last season when he played for us. I note Waldo's assessment of Hess's performance yesterday. Preferring backwards passes. Reminded me of someone except Hess is ten times quicker and does occasionally track an opponent when we don't have the ball.

Hence we have conceded far less but without Dack we struggle to score. Add his assists and goals at Blackburn this year and things would look far different.

Last edited:
.........................New ownership.

Someone who can invest in the team and take us forwards as a club.

Thanks for everything Paul but it would appear that you no longer have the capability to invest and drive the club forward.

We have a decision to make.

Option A - Remain a league one / league two yo-yo club (which is our natural place). If this is the case abandon the new ground and spend the money on developing this squad, build a mirror of the Rainham End and the Town end and give us a 12,000 capacity stadium that is more than adequate.

Option B - Have drive and ambition that says we aspire to be a championship club. In which case we do need a new stadium but we also need someone with the financial clout to get us there. Sadly that isn't the current regime. This club cannot grow organically it needs external investment and Scallys track record suggests that won't happen. You only have to ask why the wealthy Dr Abdulla Al-Humaidi chose to invest in Ebbsfleet and not Gills.

Thanks for everything Paul but it would appear that you no longer have the capability to invest and drive the club forward.

Option A - Remain a league one / league two yo-yo club (which is our natural place). If this is the case abandon the new ground and spend the money on developing this squad, build a mirror of the Rainham End and the Town end and give us a 12,000 capacity stadium that is more than adequate.

Option B - Have drive and ambition that says we aspire to be a championship club. In which case we do need a new stadium but we also need someone with the financial clout to get us there. Sadly that isn't the current regime. This club cannot grow organically it needs external investment and Scallys track record suggests that won't happen. You only have to ask why the wealthy Dr Abdulla Al-Humaidi chose to invest in Ebbsfleet and not Gills.
Well said

Great idea

Invest in the club - build a great stadium, get crowds of 8000 plus at most matches, have dreams of championship status or ever better.

Maybe someone like Peter Winkelman?

Investment is hard to get when you are not supported by your local council - no one will invest in the team whilst we are still at Priestfield and the council dont seem interrested in helping find a site for a new stadium.

In real terms Ebbsfleet have a far greater potential - great transport links to Europe and lots going on in the area with housing, amenities, investment etc.

Great idea

Invest in the club - build a great stadium, get crowds of 8000 plus at most matches, have dreams of championship status or ever better.

So where we disagree Durham is you believe Scally can achieve that and I don't.

I also don't think he can "find" the investor that he has been looking for ever since project Dubai. There are people out there willing to invest. Ebbsfleet found someone ( I do agree with you that they have greater potential that Gills), Peterborough found someone, Bradford found some one. Infact as can be read in the article below there are lots of clubs in league one who have attracted a wealthy investor.

We often talk about the potential of Gillingham. A club in conurbation of nearly 300K plus the rest of Kent to tap into. A club in the wealthy south east of England with great transport links. We don't have any great history (all of the best bits are under Scallys tenure to give him credit) but surely we have potential.

So, why we do have to ask, has he been unable to find someone in all the years of looking. Is it the club, is it the local council or is it him.

I don't know the answer but he keeps looking and keeps failing to find someone.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/league-one-club-owner-guide-732387

I think a lot of us suspect that either (a) Scally will only sell 49% and wants to retain control or (b) he wants an unrealistic figure to sell up completely.

If he was willing to sell at a true valuation of the club compiled by independent professionals/auditors I think there is a chance that there might possibly be some interest but that ain't going to happen soon.

............ and people were saying good riddance to Josh Wright

Josh Wright has only scored once in the league this season so I am not sure if he would have solved our recent lack of goals problem. It looks as if his final season for us was a one off occassion.

Come on judging by his whole career that was a complete freak season for Josh goals wise with a lot of penalties. The sideways passes were a real wind up and he's currently a substitute for Southend United, hardly a superstar.

Even though I like the bloke and thought he came across well to fans.

Actually, even though he scored that hat trick of penalties, didn't he miss the next two or three including one that could have proved very costly at Northampton?

TBF, that hat trick did get him up to 14 in 83 appearances for the Gills, whereas he has only scored 5 in 186 combined performances for other clubs:
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=47198

Probably about the same number of forward passes.

Did not know Josh Wright was a forward and had to be rated on goals scored lol.

underated midfielder who at least gave it his all every match.

Did not know Josh Wright was a forward and had to be rated on goals scored lol.

underated midfielder who at least gave it his all every match.
Don't upset Baghdad Bob for heaven's sake; he knows better. AP should have built the team around him and our relatively solid defence but he knew better.

Come on judging by his whole career that was a complete freak season for Josh goals wise with a lot of penalties. The sideways passes were a real wind up and he's currently a substitute for Southend United, hardly a superstar.

Even though I like the bloke and thought he came across well to fans.
Maybe but surely he's better than anyone we have on current form. Our midfield has evaporated with only Byrne showing even anything resembling mediocre.