What was your first away ground? | Page 4 | Vital Football

What was your first away ground?

Crikey, this make me feel old, I have been to a lot of the matches mentioned in this thread.

My 1st away match away was at York Street Lincolnshire Cup final 1973, in the days when the final was played at the end of season. Only half full coach left from Sincil Bank, Boston took the match a tad more seriously particulary the supporters who decided to that turning over a parked car was the adult thing to do was to try and stop the Imps coach leaving the carpark along with hammering on side of the coach. Thank goodness those days are largely a memory.

4-3. Former Imp Ian Greaves was Mansfield's manager at the time. He pre-warned his players by saying there was nothing non-league about Lincoln - he was right. Great game, we lost in the last couple of minutes.

I was there for that one too. The corner routine then is very reminiscent of what we do now, I seem to remember. Cracking game.

Of course, those were the days when
there was no offside from free kicks in the GMVC. I seem to think we brought some of those tactics into this game, overloading the area with bodies and smothering the Mansfield keeper on a few occasions, much to his bemusement.

Chesterfield in April 1982 and seeing us win 2-0 with Gordon Hobson rounding their keeper in the last minutes to clinch the points.

I remember seeing Botham at the old show ground but can’t think of the date but dad mentioned he took me possibly to Peterborough in the late sixties when I was six or seven, also possibly Cambridge.
My first home game was apparently in 1965 for a schoolboy match when I sat ( or rather ran around) in a half empty St. Andrews stand, showing very little interest. He left it a while before he took me again....how things have changed!

I’m loathe to challenge two of 100% Imps major stattos in Merthyr and Scot Imps. However I’ve done a bit of scratching and though I haven’t yet unearthed definitive proof. I might yet be wrong.
http://that1980ssportsblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/1983-84-fa-cup-second-round.html?m=1
A month before this game Lincoln beat scunny 2-1 in a league game.
In my first mention of Botham I said he played centre back. He is recorded amongst Scunthorpe squad list as a defender that season.
Think a scunny programme from later that season, or an archive visit to the library or echo office for a sports echo. Might be the only way to confirm or deny that Botham played that day.
Still, I’m reading some great stuff trying to find the line ups that day.

If someone with the knowledge can help my first away game was either Northampton or Grimsby around '89. Think 1-1 at county ground and lost 1-0 at blundell (me and me dad crawled out after pitch invasion and getting pelted with coins).

I’m loathe to challenge two of 100% Imps major stattos in Merthyr and Scot Imps. However I’ve done a bit of scratching and though I haven’t yet unearthed definitive proof. I might yet be wrong.
http://that1980ssportsblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/1983-84-fa-cup-second-round.html?m=1
In my first mention of Botham I said he played centre back. He is recorded amongst Scunthorpe squad list as a defender that season.
Think a scunny programme from later that season, or an archive visit to the library or echo office for a sports echo. Might be the only way to confirm or deny that Botham played that day.

Yes, Botham played for Scunthorpe in their Second Round FA Cup win over Bury on 10th December 1983. Rothmans Football Yearbook indicates he was at no. 9, but of course that's not a definite indication of what position he played.

In his various appearances in the Scunthorpe players listings in Rothmans he's either listed among the midfielders or forwards - but again of course that's not conclusive.

Rothmans shows that Botham retained his place in the Scunthorpe side for the three league games after the Bury cup tie.

Regarding City's 2-1 win against Scunthorpe at Sincil Bank on 12th November 1983:

1. Rothmans doesn't list Botham in the Scunthorpe line-up.
2. My copy of the match programme with any team changes written in by me doesn't show him as playing.
3. For what it's worth, like Scotimp, I don't remember him playing.
4. Finally - I don't need to visit the Echo office, just look in the back of my cupboard! This is the 'Match Facts' from the Lincolnshire Echo report, and there's also no mention by Maurice Burton in his match report of Botham playing - which I'm sure there would have been, considering his status as a national figure at the time.
Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

Thought Cammack played for us during the 81/82 season and went back to scunny during that season?

As per Rothmans, after the FA Cup game on 10th December 1983 Botham played for Scunthorpe in their next three League games:

17th December - home v Gillingham (2-0)
26th December - away v Hull (0-1)
27th December - home v Preston (1-5)

He didn't play again for them that season.

Still, I’m reading some great stuff trying to find the line ups that day.
Like you spartans I am wary of going against either Merthyr or Scotimp on these things. But it's the sort of thing you don't forget. The November 1983 game was my strongest candidate for the Botham sighting. When I am in Lincoln at xmas I'm going to check my Dad's loft for the old prog as my Dad often wrote down lineup changes.
I have a feeling he may have been a late addition as he seemingly played for them on an ad hoc basis. Also, I think he was possibly normally a defender and they threw him upfront as a big un when they were chasing the game in the latter stages, hence the confusion over his position.
All this is just gut feeling and hazy memories and I take on board that Merthyrs evidence strongly indicates he didn't play , but I will don my deerstalker and continue to investigate......

My memory must be failing me because I thought my first game was a 1-1 draw away at Peterborough in the league (1974-75), which doesn't appear on the records. So for definate it was Watford away as I was living in London at the time and remember the Watford hooligans in there flares chanting at the Lincoln fans as we were on a different platform (maybe even the tube?) going back to Lincoln, what a pivotal game that probably proved to be, we won 3-1 back in 1975.