What was your first away ground? | Page 3 | Vital Football

What was your first away ground?

Saturday 2nd Feb 1980, Doncaster 1 Lincoln 1
Tony Cunningham scored our goal.
Stood with Donny fans down the side of the pitch on the terrace in front of the old main stand at Belle Vue.
Played on a snow covered pitch, with pitch markings in blue to make them stand out, and an orange ball.
Would never happen now !

2nd away was Easter Monday 7th April 1980, Northampton 0 Lincoln 0.
Again stood on side terrace in front of the main stand with the home fans ! One particularly burly home fan, on realising the three of us were Lincoln fans decided to begin a chant to the tune of the Pompey Chimes:
"We are coblers, coblers we are".
I fell to the ground with such a fit of the giggles, it's a wonder he didn't take upperty! But he understood why I would find that so funny, and he and my match guardian spent the entire game in particularly friendly conversation, missing nothing of the game because it was a very poor 0 0.

Rotherham, at their old ground (I forget the name) shortly before they went to Don Valley - I think 2008? Stallard up front, seem to recall he got sent off...or was it Forrester? My memory is poor!

Scunny away in the 80/81 season for me. 2-2 draw. Hazy memories but Scunny playing in red in those days, two great end terraces and the cantilever stand

Scunny away in the 80/81 season for me. 2-2 draw. Hazy memories but Scunny playing in red in those days, two great end terraces and the cantilever stand

I remember going to the Old Show Ground around that time and Botham played left back (or maybe centre half) - was that the game you were at?

Old Showground Scunthorpe, 74/75, 1-1, Alan Harding goal.

Mine too, with some mates on the Red Imps coaches, felt like a major expedition to the mysterious Away.

Surviving that, Leicester League Cup following season was my second, a few more league and cup away games that season including West Brom and a win at the Old Show Ground, which seemed to be all 'Old' and no 'Show'.

Millmoor and the Baseball Ground back in Second Division days.

Workington about the same time - Mitchell Downie was in goal for Bradford City.

I remember going to the Old Show Ground around that time and Botham played left back (or maybe centre half) - was that the game you were at?
Don't think so. Botham was playing the odd match around this time but I'm sure I would have remembered him if he had played.

This has been covered before. I definitely remember i saw him for Scunny at Sincil Bank . Played upfront a la Matt Rhead without the skill.
Having second thoughts on this, could be he was an emergency centre forward (or memory playing tricks)the game I saw because his wiki entry shows 28 pro games and only 1 goal ! . So unlikely to have been a forward with that strike rate

Last edited:
2003, another game where it was a bit lively after!
We were first visiting team to win there.
They did beer in 1.5 pint plastic containers:thumbup:

The door locks keeping the home and away fans in the circular stand area under the seats failed and the 2 sets of fans got a bit tasty until the police restored order. That was pre match.

Darlington at Feethams 11th Dec 1993, we lost 3-2. I remember seeing myself on Goals on Sunday the following day not looking very pleased on one of the goals we conceded!

My first away match was on 21st August 2001. The Imps lost 2-1 to Grimsby Town in the League Cup.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-lincoln-city-21-august-2001-7733/

Blimey Jules, that feels like yesterday. Buckley went back to Blunders as our Manager and we went 1-0 up (was it Battersby? ?) .... but we lost and ran the gauntlet on the way back to our cars parked at the Honest Lawyer boozer. It was literally a mini-Roakes Drift as the Cod masses attacked from every side street.

Blimey Jules, that feels like yesterday. Buckley went back to Blunders as our Manager and we went 1-0 up (was it Battersby? ?) .... but we lost and ran the gauntlet on the way back to our cars parked at the Honest Lawyer boozer. It was literally a mini-Roakes Drift as the Cod masses attacked from every side street.

Yes, it was Battersby.

I seem to recall witnessing fighting after that match!

This has been covered before. I definitely remember i saw him for Scunny at Sincil Bank . Played upfront a la Matt Rhead without the skill.
Having second thoughts on this, could be he was an emergency centre forward (or memory playing tricks)the game I saw because his wiki entry shows 28 pro games and only 1 goal ! . So unlikely to have been a forward with that strike rate
He played at the Bank and I’m sure he was wearing number 13? Don’t remember for sure but think he played at the back. Does seem odd if he was in 13 to have been starting? Maybe im wrong. But I was sat in South Park stand and vividly remember him.

Regarding Ian Botham, at the most he was active with Scunthorpe United between the seasons 1978/79 and 1985/86 inclusive and Rothmans Football Yearbook records him as making a total of 11 Football League appearances for them.

During those seasons City and Scunthorpe were only in the same division for three of them - 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1983/84. I was at all six of the games during those seasons and my own personal records plus Rothmans don't show Botham as being even an unused substitute in any of them.

According to Rothmans, Botham didn't play against City in any match in the League, FA Cup, League Cup or the then equivalent of the Checkatrade Trophy.

However - City played Scunthorpe in the Lincolnshire Cup several times between 1978 and 1986 so it seems likely it was a game or games in that competition that people are remembering. A bit more research would be needed on who played in those games.

Regarding the position he played, for what it's worth Rothmans records Botham as wearing the no. 9 shirt in all of the only seven starts he made for Scunthorpe (1981/82 and 1983/84 seasons).

Regarding Ian Botham, at the most he was active with Scunthorpe United between the seasons 1978/79 and 1985/86 inclusive and Rothmans Football Yearbook records him as making a total of 11 Football League appearances for them.

During those seasons City and Scunthorpe were only in the same division for three of them - 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1983/84. I was at all six of the games during those seasons and my own personal records plus Rothmans don't show Botham as being even an unused substitute in any of them.

According to Rothmans, Botham didn't play against City in any match in the League, FA Cup, League Cup or the then equivalent of the Checkatrade Trophy.

However - City played Scunthorpe in the Lincolnshire Cup several times between 1978 and 1986 so it seems possible it was a game or games in that competition that people are remembering. A bit more research would be needed on who played in those games.

Regarding the position he played, for what it's worth Rothmans records Botham as wearing the no. 9 shirt in all of the only seven starts he made for Scunthorpe (1981/82 and 1983/84 seasons).
I'm glad you said that because I can't remember him playing against us at all. I thought of going through my programme collection for some clues, but that answers the question for me.