What was your first away ground? | Vital Football

What was your first away ground?

Casperimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
On the back of the other couple of threads that have got us talking about other grounds. What was the first stadium other than Sincil Bank that you saw the Imps play?

Mine was The Old Showground in Scunthorpe. It was 10th March 1984 and it was 0-0

Sheff Utd 28th Jan 1961, lost 3-1 in FA Cup 4th Round in the days when one side of the Ground was still open for the cricket season. Andy Graver scored but apart from been beep cold can remember nothing about it !

Could have been the Shay Halifax. 0-0
(I remember an earth bank at one end and a speedway track around the pitch).

Last edited:
Filbert Street, 3rd Rd League Cup. I was 10. 1976. We were very unlucky to lose the game. A great atmosphere. I remember standing against the wall chatting with a young Leicester supporter. He pointed to the other side of the ground at an incredible site he’d seen. It was thousands of red and white scarves held aloft where the main body of Lincoln fans were. I remember feeling proud, especially as one their supporters was so impressed. Another of their supporters asked my dad, blimey do you play as well as this every week? Yes my dad replied. Great times

Filbert Street, 3rd Rd League Cup. I was 10. 1976. We were very unlucky to lose the game. A great atmosphere. I remember standing against the wall chatting with a young Leicester supporter. He pointed to the other side of the ground at an incredible site he’d seen. It was thousands of red and white scarves held aloft where the main body of Lincoln fans were. I remember feeling proud, especially as one their supporters was so impressed. Another of their supporters asked my dad, blimey do you play as well as this every week? Yes my dad replied. Great times

I remember Filbert St too. A few years before that, league cup got hammered 5-0. Joe Bonson tried to round Gordon Banks and failed, Roger Holmes played well.

My parents never attended a match in their lives but after seeing 58 games at SB I was finally allowed to go with mates on the supporters coach to Mansfield 0 Lincoln 2 on 31/03/73.