What was your favourite ever Boxing Day home match? | Vital Football

What was your favourite ever Boxing Day home match?

Excitement and atmosphere - the game against Maidstone in the late 80s. Mainly memorable for Alan Walker head butting the post when scoring.

Result - 4-1 against Palace in the Championship. I think it was the first time I realised we belonged in that division.

No idea how many Boxing Day games I've attended, but there's only one I can actually remember, and it was shit. Lost 4-1 against Bury, some time in the early 90s. Felt quite sorry for my cousin, who wasn't really a football fan but was sent to the game to keep an eye on me.

Edit - Just checked, 1992

I remember vividly the Boxing Day game v Plymouth in our promotion year 1995/96, I believe we were third and Plymouth were fourth going into that match but there was only one point between the whole top 4 so was a crucial match in promotion terms (Top 4 was PNE 38pts, Chester 38, Gills 37, Ply 36). Warnock was Plymouth manager and it was clear that he instructed them to "rough us up a bit" - obviously we could dish it out too under Pulis. A very tight match was settled when a Plymouth defender handled on the line with about seven minutes left, was sent off, and Butler put away the pen. Not surprisingly Warnock didn't agree with the decision, but Plymouth deserved what they got for not trying to win the game.

Excitement and atmosphere - the game against Maidstone in the late 80s. Mainly memorable for Alan Walker head butting the post when scoring.

Result - 4-1 against Palace in the Championship. I think it was the first time I realised we belonged in that division.

Yes the Palace game for me as well. Asaba hat trick (Nobby could confirm) and Iffy completed the rout. Pre match session in the Cricketers was nice and boisterous too!

I remember that match very well. Razor Ruddock had joined Palace from Liverpool & had put on a bit of weight. We were singing "fat boy in the ring la-de-la-de-de". Ruddock stuck his middle finger up at us. A short while after, he got sent off. Loud cheering went round the ground.

Technically not a Boxing Day game but it effectively was (no game on 26th). Gills 4 Northampton 1, 27/12/71. His highness Alan Wilks plus Yeo 2 and Peach the scorers. In the top 4 of Division 4 after years of gradual decline and relegation from Div 3. I was all excited but we finished poorly and ended mid-table.

Honourable mention for 4 1 v Palace in the Championship.

Technically not a Boxing Day game but it effectively was (no game on 26th). Gills 4 Northampton 1, 27/12/71. His highness Alan Wilks plus Yeo 2 and Peach the scorers. In the top 4 of Division 4 after years of gradual decline and relegation from Div 3. I was all excited but we finished poorly and ended mid-table.

And the crowd for that game, 58, was massive - 11, 795 !!

Some great memories above. The Bury game was hastily arranged after the demise of Maidstone. We were so awful that we used to count the passes we could string together.
The Derby County game was when Mehmet threw his shirt at the ref after sending him off, I think we were 2-1 down at the time. Great comeback.

Gills vs Maidstone, 1989.

It's the first Gills game I vividly remember being at, in person.

I'm not going to lie, though... back then, I was more invested in the Stones winning prior to kick off. Alan Walker nutting a goal post helped changed a lot that day, if not the outcome!

No idea how many Boxing Day games I've attended, but there's only one I can actually remember, and it was shit. Lost 4-1 against Bury, some time in the early 90s. Felt quite sorry for my cousin, who wasn't really a football fan but was sent to the game to keep an eye on me.

Edit - Just checked, 1992

Same for me Madrid.
I always managed not to be the driver for the Boxing Day match so cannot really remember any of them specially.
I think I enjoyed them though 😳

1969-70 season
We were struggling that season (survival at Orient last match) but a solid 2:0 win over a strong Fulham side in front of 8000 plus.

4-1 v Palace number! The Northampton 1-0 was fun with the floodlight problem!

Honourable mention for 4 1 v Palace in the Championship.
Yes 58, I was at that game. I was a Town ender in those days, always got there early to get down the front

Also remember one Boxing day game, can't remember who it was against but at half time a streaker jumped onto the pitch from the Rainham End, I think he had a Santa hat on. He done it while Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade was being blasted over the tannoy.

I remember that match very well. Razor Ruddock had joined Palace from Liverpool & had put on a bit of weight. We were singing "fat boy in the ring la-de-la-de-de". Ruddock stuck his middle finger up at us. A short while after, he got sent off. Loud cheering went round the ground.

You don't remember it that well mate because he wasn't sent off but he did miss a penalty. 😉