What was Lamela's last good game that he started? | Vital Football

What was Lamela's last good game that he started?

Spursex

Alert Team
I really am struggling to recall the last good game from him where he started.

Should he be sold at any cost come the summer - afraid my patience with him, despite him 'trying hard' at times is wearing ultra thin....

I think he the most frustrating player

When he’s sub - why is he not starting - he’s incredible

When he starts - that’s why

In his defence yesterday he was playing up front with a training cone - had he been playing up front with Harry/Lucus/Son he would of had an assist

Well I place the blame squarely on MP for this then. Easy...play to the players strengths. If Lamela is a stud coming off the bench and struggles when starting...THEN PLAY HIM OFF THE DAMN BENCH!!! We have folks that can start in front of him.

This isn't flipping rocket science.

The most important thing is the depth and composition of the squad. We now have the luxury of our 6 attackers - Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Moura, Lamela. Remembering life before Moura joined and Lamela out with long term injuries, it wasn't optimal. Same as with Llorente as our backup striker nowadays. That's priority 1 to strengthen over Lamela and if we buy a hybrid player, that also puts pressure on Lamela's role.

Happy to sell Lamela for the right player coming in if we get that opportunity in the next 2 or 3 windows. There's nothing worse for a manager to have a player that isn't robust enough to be fit for selection each week. My guess is it won't get easier as he gets older either.

As for starts over impact from the bench, he's barely started consecutive games and it's over a month again since he started his last game for us. I'm not reading anything into yesterday's game. Most of it was dysfunctional and he was a victim of that.

Should he be sold at any cost come the summer - afraid my patience with him, despite him 'trying hard' at times is wearing ultra thin....

And Ex...thanks I am sure Rich will jump on this thread with a fury & passion never seen before!

He started the season very well, hasn't looked the same post injury again.

If what you say about Fulham pitch being rubbish is true then that does nullify a lot of his game. He benefits from slick passing play and carries the ball forward and loves a take on. If the pitch was cut up and and overgrown then he's not likely to flourish.

His pressing game was also hampered by Llorente's lack of movement. He has an ok delivery so maybe we should have stuck him more on the left and told him to put balls in the box.

He was extremely lucky he was offered a new deal.

He has talent but he is very injury prone and is very inconsistent.

To be fair he's been brilliant this season (last few weeks aside) he was arguably our best player at the start of the season along with Moura.

I wouldn't get rid, simply because we wont replace him with anyone better.

To the question "should he be sold at all costs" - I'd say no (not at all costs). I think he's worth 20 give or take a couple mill. That's a lot of money on the bench. Given his medical history I think it might be better to cash in and reinvest

If the guy is a game changer off the bench (most here would agree he has been phenomenal at times as a sub this season), but he doesn't seem to fare as well as a starter, then the logical choice is to use him where he's proven most effective, as an impact sub.

However, if he is forced in the starting XI due to injury, and we believe he is likely to fare less well in that situation, then to suggest selling him because he does exactly as expected, in that less than optimal situation due to injured players, well that's silly. To ignore his proven contribution as a sub and turn him into a space waster is kinda weird actually.

Can he step up? I beleive he can, we've seen it from him before. But regardless, this is a temporary situation.

He's one of the more valuable squad players at the moment. There's 5 or 6 players that should be sold before him in any case.

I fully understand your frustrations and my patience with him broke a long time ago, over the years he hasn't been close to being good enough to restore the faith I started with. As I have said before the longer he is on the pitch the more time his inadequacy has to flourish, and I never have to wait to long for another example.

Take the first half at the weekend, in a great attacking position with so much time, he contrives to end up on his ass trying to play a ball across the face of goal with the outside of his left foot, when all that is required is for him to stay on his feet and play a simple ball across the six yard box using his right to an unmarked team mate. A naive bit of play and criminal waste of an opportunity, due to nothing more than general incompetence and lack of a football brain.

Last edited:
I fully understand your frustrations and my patience with him broke a long time ago, over the years he hasn't been close to being good enough to restore the faith I started with. As I have said before the longer he is on the pitch the more time his inadequacy has to flourish, and I never have to wait to long for another example.

Take the first half at the weekend, in a great attacking position with so much time, he contrives to end up on his ass trying to play a ball across the face of goal with the outside of his left foot, when all that is required is for him to stay on his feet and play a simple ball across the six yard box using his right to an unmarked team mate. A naive bit of play and criminal waste of an opportunity, due to nothing more than general incompetence and lack of a football brain.

Not long ago you recognised his contributions this season but wanted more consistency before any praise was due. Since then he has had an injury and a virus . He started his first game for quite some time against Fulham so was probably going to feel it.
His poor cross was an error which all players make. It was not down to incompetence or a lack of a football brain. You are overstating your case to back up an observation. I suggest it doesn't take much to wipe out any good he does on the pitch from your perspective.

I still think when MP plays to Lamela's strengths...we see just how good and impactful he can be. (off the bench...impact sub) I think this is his sweet spot and where he is most comfortable. Bring him on at half or the 50-60 min mark from now on.

Not long ago you recognised his contributions this season but wanted more consistency before any praise was due. Since then he has had an injury and a virus . He started his first game for quite some time against Fulham so was probably going to feel it.
His poor cross was an error which all players make. It was not down to incompetence or a lack of a football brain. You are overstating your case to back up an observation. I suggest it doesn't take much to wipe out any good he does on the pitch from your perspective.

His poor cross was a reflection of his lack of understanding of what he needed to do in a given situation. Situational awareness a big fat ZERO.
I am making a factual observation of an incompetent player who doesn’t know when to use his right foot instead of his left.

Last edited:
His poor cross was a reflection of his lack of understanding of what he needed to do in a given situation. Situational awareness a big fat ZERO.
I am making a factual observation of an incompetent player who doesn’t know when to use his right foot instead of his left.

All incorrect and overstated . His poor cross was bad execution . He usually has complex situational awareness being part of intricate play. He is far from incompetent. His corners were better than Eriksens which were embarrassing but he won't get accused of being incompetent. Eriksen apart from his ball into Dele was poor in general .You made one observation and tarred him with the incompetent brush.

All incorrect and overstated . His poor cross was bad execution . He usually has complex situational awareness being part of intricate play. He is far from incompetent. His corners were better than Eriksens which were embarrassing but he won't get accused of being incompetent. Eriksen apart from his ball into Dele was poor in general .You made one observation and tarred him with the incompetent brush.

Knock, knock he has been showing how incompetent he is since 2013, what happened at the weekend is his latest iteration of a usual occurrence. Lol. This thread isn’t about Alli or Eriksen. It is about two bit, incompetent Erik Lamela.

He was extremely lucky he was offered a new deal.

He has talent but he is very injury prone and is very inconsistent.

Even as a fan of him I agree.

He’s certainly one to improve on.

He was dreadful again last night - at least that's how we viewed at the game, I'll watch the recording today, but can't really recall him being in the game at all.

Same, he really isn't much of an ' option ' with all these missing players, why can't Poch just give GKN a run out, at least the lad can run !