What Those Stats Tell Us - Millers v Wimbledon | Vital Football

What Those Stats Tell Us - Millers v Wimbledon

The "fouls" against us puzzles me every time sixpence, because I don't know if you've noticed, but we have more fouls against us every time we play a game. I've commented on it many times because it's very baffling. I've come to the conclusion that we're not a "cheating" side, and we're not out to con the referee into giving us a free kick every time we're challenged. Every team we've come up against this season seem to have a few "divers" in their side, and then there are others who get in the referee's face telling him to get his card out. Ungentlemanly conduct, that's what that is. Anyway, what can we do about it when the referee is weak? Nothing, we just have to grin and bear it.

And back to the "stats", we had 22 shots at goal (9 on target), yet we only scored 2 goals.
Compare that to the Wombles 5 shots (3 on target), and they manage 2 goals too.

That's just not good enough from our point of view. Admittedly their two goals came from a "wonder" goal, and a very dubious penalty, but we really should be putting these teams to the sword with so many chances coming our way.
Accrington away next Saturday will be tough because they have hit good form lately but we know they are a footballing side (at home at least), and we should be allowed to play attacking football, so all being well we could get a few goals.

I'm always more worried about playing the teams that are in the bottom few of the division - they have something to prove against the 'big boys' don't they and I think we let them roll over us a bit.

The fouls I never understand what constitutes a foul in the stats. Is it every free-kick? If so I'm sure we had more free-kicks that Wimbledon on Saturday. Is it yellow cards - obviously not because they had two to our none and one of those was for bouncing the ball away when a decision didn't go their way (though, imo it should have been their ball). I didn't think Saturday was a dirty game at all yet there were thirty-four fouls in the game.

Twenty-two shots, Nez, is a lot to get only two goals from. But I suppose 'keepers save and we had some go inches past the post. But, as we've been saying for years, we have really got to take those chances when they come.

The one chance that I keep remembering was when Smithy was one-on-one with the keeper. Players really shouldn't miss those sort of chances.
We're going to be frustrated time and time again because everyone wants to beat the teams at the top. I've lost count of the times when the commentators have said "that's the best we've played all season", and that's because teams always seem to "raise" their game when they play us. I suppose we can take it as being a compliment to the way we play and our success has won us quite a few admirers this season. Long may it last but we need to get tough now and get on the ball right from the word go. I'm a nervous wreck at the moment but at the same time I'm feeling confident about our chances of promotion. U.TM.

A compliment yet - damn annoying though isn't it!

I just think our players are starting off with nerves at the moment. Let's hope we soon get over them on Saturday.

I fear for our game being on this weekend because there's lots of rain forecast for the British Isles, and the heaviest rain is going to be down the west side of England. Accrington's pitch has got a habit of getting waterlogged (as we know all too well).
I hope it's on though for everyone's sake, plus the fact that we'd get knocked off the top.

Yes, Nez, I've said the same. I've paddled around the Accrington ground in the past - both inside and outside.