What style do you prefer us to play? | Vital Football

What style do you prefer us to play?

Which style of football do you prefer watching us play?

• Play out from the back and through midfield style

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Fast blood and thunder direct football?

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
Prefer to play a nice passing game, but a full compliment of finesse players is an expensive way forward. I think as long as we`re playing a "winning style" then i`m not too bothered about the methodology !

I think we might be a bit restricted by financial budget .Having a team play fairly direct will probably be cheaper.It would also fit with the signings thus far.Would be another reason why the club would not be that desperate to keep Byrne regardless of fitness. I am expecting Gillingham's tallest ever side.But I could be mislead by the early signs.

Last edited:
Arsenal played out from the back better than most, just a shame that for all the tippy tappy football, they struggle to score goals.
Our most successful teams have never been the most pleasing on the eye, hard work and endeavor have always been our greatest strength.

Sorry, don't give a toss as long as we win. If I wanted to see cultured, calculated, or methodical football, I would not be watching a crap football team in the third tier of English football (who I love) every other week, plus the occasional away game .

Mates and environment are a 1,000 times more important that footballing success.

If I'm forced to make a choice, blood and thunder with the Rainham End giving it large :wahey:

I can't stand tippy tappy possession football for the sake of it. It takes a seriously good team to make it good to watch (Man City). Even at their peak I found Spain pretty dull to watch as it was possession for possession's sake.

How many times have we seen teams come to Priestfield and pass the ball around only for us to comment how ineffective it is?

Definitely blood and thunder for me. I want towering headers from the back, crunching tackles in midfield and a battering ram up front. I also think it's what our fans respond best to.

"Get into 'em, f*** 'em up!"

Love watching a winger go past a fullback and get a cross into the box, but an out and out winger is seen as a luxury nowadays.

I agree. Love a winger who beats a man on the outside and then swings over a ball for the the CF to power home. Jordan Graham looked like he could be that player but he didn't get that much game time.

I agree. Love a winger who beats a man on the outside and then swings over a ball for the the CF to power home. Jordan Graham looked like he could be that player but he didn't get that much game time.
No sign of Evans using wingers judging in the signing of Jackson we probably should expect a narrow midfield again. With full backs expected to provide the width.

I can't stand tippy tappy possession football for the sake of it. It takes a seriously good team to make it good to watch (Man City). Even at their peak I found Spain pretty dull to watch as it was possession for possession's sake.

How many times have we seen teams come to Priestfield and pass the ball around only for us to comment how ineffective it is?

Definitely blood and thunder for me. I want towering headers from the back, crunching tackles in midfield and a battering ram up front. I also think it's what our fans respond best to.

"Get into 'em, f*** 'em up!"

Definitely what our fans want to see. A trier who chases everything is always well received

I have also always found the tika taka type of short passing game bum numbingly boring, even when Barcelona started it.

Glad to see that a good many games in the Premier League are now won by a team with as little as 25% possession.

When I captained a team in village football, I always advocated passing and taking players on, but only providing the ball was in the opposition half. Then, if the possession was lost there would be players behind the ball. Losing the ball in and around our own penalty area was verboten !

Given it seems fans are in favour of getting the ball forward quickly. I find it very odd that the signing of Oliver had such a mixed reaction. He would seem ideal if we are using a slightly more direct approach.It certainly seemed to make more sense having Jackson trying to pick out Oliver. Than having Byrne try to find the head of Ehmer.

Anything but hoof ball. Nothing more dull than just kicking the ball long all the time and bypassing the midfield.

No reason why we can't mix it up and play through the middle sometimes and go long on other occasions. If we stick with one style we'll become predictable which is easier to defend against.

Signing a player with Oliver's heading abilities and with a lot of goals to his credit at a similar level would be way out of our reach.So Evans will have to look for a combination of players that brings as good if not better results.

The most pleasing on the eye football I've seen at Gills were at home under Stimson, and Edinburghs first full season in charge. Those campaigns ended in relegation, and going from top of the league at Xmas to not even making the playoffs. Both of those sides got found out and didn't know how to change it. Countless big teams have come down from the championship in recent years and have expected to piss the league by playing good football, they soon realise it doesn't work. You have to able to mix it in this division, give me a team of hard bastards fighting all game for 3 points any day. Our club, ground and fan base is set up for the siege mentality, us against the world approach. Hit them early and hit them fucking hard. Ahhh fucking hell open the stadiums Boris you ****! UTG

The most pleasing on the eye football I've seen at Gills were at home under Stimson, and Edinburghs first full season in charge. Those campaigns ended in relegation, and going from top of the league at Xmas to not even making the playoffs. Both of those sides got found out and didn't know how to change it. Countless big teams have come down from the championship in recent years and have expected to piss the league by playing good football, they soon realise it doesn't work. You have to able to mix it in this division, give me a team of hard bastards fighting all game for 3 points any day. Our club, ground and fan base is set up for the siege mentality, us against the world approach. Hit them early and hit them fucking hard. Ahhh fucking hell open the stadiums Boris you ****! UTG

I voted for the second option by the way x

If we play short passing football people will moan and shout to "get the feckin' ball forward" and will double complain if a defender gets caught in possession and give away a chance.

But if we play long ball, people will moan everytime it doesn't land on our strikers head and gets held up which'll be 90% of the time. Wayne especially will complain that our midfielders created no chances despite the fact 90% of our distribution from the back went over their heads.