What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
Who better than Blackbeard? Born in Redcliff Street (just round the corner from a squat I used to live in!), what about a statue of him?

This 2018 article from the Bristol Post says that Blackbeard's, "deeds, philosophy, actions and and campaigns are so aligned with Bristol's reputation for rebelliousness, co-operative anarchy and anti-establishment cock-snooking that it’s a wonder he’s not been honoured with a statue on Stokes Croft before or by having the Bearpit renamed after him."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/hero-times-bristol-should-statue-2365278

Sorry you are wrong. There is only one thing that should replace the statue of someone who made money out of slavery. That is a tribute to the slaves themselves. This country built wealth out of slavery a tribute to those people is the very least that Bristol should do.But first we need to make sure we learn the lessons of the past and learn to treat people of all nations as equals.

The people that tore the statue down should decide. If it is a democratic vote, someone might get chosen that they are not happy with, and they might have to tear it down again.

The taxpayer can pay for it though

Leave it empty as a memorial to the day that the mob decided.
Why is that empty, asks the child?
Dads can then explain their own version.

Leave it empty as a memorial to the day that the mob decided.
Why is that empty, asks the child?
Dads can then explain their own version.

What about the Mums? Do they also get to explain or is it just the Dads?

Fuck me, lots to do be done. First we got to rid the world of racism, then I suppose we'll have to move straight onto tackling patriarchy....

(That was a joke, btw, Tarian!)

Last edited:
Some form of permanent tribute to the NHS, something that will last a few days longer than a few nights of clapping, to be ignored for one day of anarchy over a foreign gangster.

Some form of permanent tribute to the NHS, something that will last a few days longer than a few nights of clapping, to be ignored for one day of anarchy over a foreign gangster.

I think a tribute to the NHS is a good idea. Not sure what form it would take though. Are you thinking a statue of Aneurin Bevan? Or something to celebrate the care workers, nurses and doctors? If so, what?

Personally, I think that it should be something specific to Bristol. The Colston statue was, after all.

And what 'foreign gangster' are you talking about?! I have an idea who you mean but I might be very wrong about that, so maybe you could clarify that for me, please.

The people that tore the statue down should decide. If it is a democratic vote, someone might get chosen that they are not happy with, and they might have to tear it down again.

The taxpayer can pay for it though

Completely disagree.

I think that the people of Bristol should get to vote on what gets to replace it.

There was never a democratic vote cast to decide if the people of Bristol wanted the Colston statue in the first place. If there were one today to choose the replacement I think it is exceedingly unlikely that anybody would attempt to pull the new statue down. There certainly wouldn't be a crowd trying to do so.

As for the taxpayer paying for the replacement, oh well, at least the taxpayer was saved the expense of removing the offensive statue...

Seriously, 3x6, listen to the Mayor of Bristol's comments. If you do maybe, just maybe, your view on this will at least soften. I linked to it on the other thread.

Tributes to the NHS are so last month.

How about a statue with a slave, Nelson Mandela, Steven Lawrence and George Floyd and an inscription that says "Sorry".

Jimmy Savile - did a lot of charitable work which tends to get overlooked these days.

I'm not sure that's such a great idea, nibbles. Don't you remember when he died there were some mindless thugs who desecrated his grave and his house. You put a statue up of the great philanthropist and you'll only end up with an angry mob disrespecting his memory. Mindless, violent bastards!

I think that the people of Bristol should get to vote on what gets to replace it.

Fair enough, they will be paying for it, so they might as well vote. The morality police will have to decide the shortlist however.

I agree with Shotshy though. Just leave it as it is. We're heading for a major recession with large job losses, money needs to be prioritised on other more important things

Tributes to the NHS are so last month.

How about a statue with a slave, Nelson Mandela, Steven Lawrence and George Floyd and an inscription that says "Sorry".

I doubt your sincerity there, 3x6. Is that terrible of me? Maybe it's because I'm a hater, lol?!

But I think it's not a bad starting point. Would need some more thought though. It's the right sort of message but the figures you've chosen seem rather arbitrary, and the inscription perhaps a little insincere and/or flippant.

I agree with Shotshy though. Just leave it as it is. We're heading for a major recession with large job losses, money needs to be prioritised on other more important things

Yeah, maybe you have a point about that. It could be left empty, though I do think that there should be an information board with photos and a explanation of who Colston was, when his statue was erected, and when and why it was pulled down. Just the facts, no opinions.

A statue to Carmen Beckford. Born in Jamaica and emigrated to the UK at 17, trained as a nurse and moved to Bristol in 1965 to work as a midwife in Downend. A prominent community organiser and a race relationsofficer for the carnival; she was also involved in the setting up of the St Paul's Carnival.

Plenty of stories there and an "ordinary" person, who served her community. It's a pity she bears the name of a slaveowner but we could put something about that on any descriptive plaque too.

A statue to Carmen Beckford. Born in Jamaica and emigrated to the UK at 17, trained as a nurse and moved to Bristol in 1965 to work as a midwife in Downend. A prominent community organiser and a race relationsofficer for the carnival; she was also involved in the setting up of the St Paul's Carnival.

Plenty of stories there and an "ordinary" person, who served her community. It's a pity she bears the name of a slaveowner but we could put something about that on any descriptive plaque too.

Great shout, Jo.

Hey this isn't difficult at all. How about another and bigger plinth for the leaders of the Bristol Bus Boycott. There is a story of a fight against racism, initiated by black people, joined by some of their white fellow citizens and supported by national politicians. And they won.

Hey this isn't difficult at all. How about another and bigger plinth for the leaders of the Bristol Bus Boycott. There is a story of a fight against racism, initiated by black people, joined by some of their white fellow citizens and supported by national politicians. And they won.

Another good shout, Jo.

Actually the Bristol bus boycotters were the only thing in this list that I already knew about:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52939694

EDIT: That and the street names, I knew about the street names!