What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 11 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

That is absolutely great!

But what a shame they got their history about St George slightly muddled. Obviously doesn't change the message but still a shame.

Could be just triumphalism to divide people lol.

Cannot expect identity fascists to understand or know history any more than right wing fascists.

Banning voices that don't fit the narrative is already with us.

There is a difference to shutting down opposition voices e.g. those that are advocating hatred or they see as extreme right.
When you shut down history or views that were considered from previously your own side then you are a new religion dispelling heresy which is the quickest way to totalitarianism.

So the hunt for the 'Brizzle 15' is on.

More than two weeks on from the statue toppling Avon and Somerset Police and Bristol City Council have caved into pressure from Pritti Patel and have launched an investigation for criminal damage to the Bristol City Council owned statue.

The police said, "We received a formal complaint of criminal damage from Bristol City Council." This is a bit of a personal embarrassment for Bristol Mayor Marvin Rees who previously said he'd been "personally affronted" by the statue and has been desperately trying to prove that the council had no responsibility for the statue so that potential prosecution for the toppling could be avoided.

Elsewhere in the city people have been rallying to support the accused. An online fund raising page has already raised tens of thousands for a defence fund, and over 75,000 people have signed a petition calling for no prosecution of the activists.

Furthermore, the local paper has refused to publish the mugshots of the 15 suspects and has questioned the charity 'Crimestoppers' as to why they posted 14 mugshots (one person has already been identified) on their online front page ahead of rape and murder suspects:

"Shortly after Bristol Live approached Crimestoppers for comment, however, the list was reordered and as of this afternoon, they had been relegated to page 4. A spokeswoman for the charity said the appeals are loaded to its most-wanted list directly by police."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/colston-statue-suspects-top-crimestoppers-4263048

Common criminal vandalism should be punished , and more importantly , be seen to be punished.
The folk who endorsed / promoted such damage should be held to account too.
The fact that this was politically inspired vandalism , means that it should be considered in the same way as domestic terrorism.

Common criminal vandalism should be punished , and more importantly , be seen to be punished.
The fact that this was politically inspired vandalism , means that it should be considered in the same way as domestic terrorism.

Terrorism?! Ha fucking ha, you utter comedian!

There is a difference to shutting down opposition voices e.g. those that are advocating hatred or they see as extreme right.
When you shut down history or views that were considered from previously your own side then you are a new religion dispelling heresy which is the quickest way to totalitarianism.
Sorry. I'm unclear what the "difference" is here ?

It appears to me (and I maybe misreading....)
a) "shutting down opposition voices ...etc " is OK
b) "shut down history ...etc .. is the quickest way to totalitarianism".

Surely both lead to totalitarianism ?
i.e. no (very little) difference ...???

This is fairly old news but I've not been on here in a while and just in case you or anybody else missed it:

Five people have received cautions on the condition that they offer an explanation of their actions to a history commission set up by Bristol City Council. They were also required to pay a fine that would go to a charity supporting black, Asian and minority ethnic communities in Bristol.

This seems to me to be a very good way of dealing with these, 'criminals'.

Four other people have been charged with criminal damage and are due to appear at Bristol Magistrates Court on 25th January. I'm not sure whether or not they were offered the caution (and refused to accept it) or not.

It will be interesting to see what happens at their trial.

This is fairly old news but I've not been on here in a while and just in case you or anybody else missed it:

Five people have received cautions on the condition that they offer an explanation of their actions to a history commission set up by Bristol City Council. They were also required to pay a fine that would go to a charity supporting black, Asian and minority ethnic communities in Bristol.

This seems to me to be a very good way of dealing with these, 'criminals'.

Four other people have been charged with criminal damage and are due to appear at Bristol Magistrates Court on 25th January. I'm not sure whether or not they were offered the caution (and refused to accept it) or not.

It will be interesting to see what happens at their trial.
Not really interesting.
Vandalism has a statutory sentence.
Pretty hard to plead if you are caught on camera.
They could always opt for Crown Court but the gamble is a harsher sentence if convicted.

Jimmy Savile - did a lot of charitable work which tends to get overlooked these days.
He's back and on form.
:-)

Btw Nibbles, when this debate was raging and people defended Coulston I did, tongue in cheek, suggest Saville as apparently charity work justifies keeping his statue.