What Next? | Vital Football

What Next?

jogills

Vital Football Hero
Our chairman has taken flak from some quarters for not communicating with fans enough. I'll park that one and address the EFL and their failure to communicate, which clearly influences how much individual club chairmen & women have to say. Absolutely nothing from the EFL bar some ifs and buts regarding points deductions and ongoing disciplinary actions.

We have had rumours circulating about possible start dates, a suggestion that 12th September is the preferred option. There was talk of an imminent vote on proposals but we are still hearing some clubs stating that they cannot open for business without fans. I'm becoming less certain that these matters will be easily resolved at our level and am less than confident still of help from above. We have heard that we could lose £60k per game without fans so presumably we would still be losing heavily with reduced attendances.

I have found much of the unattended, televised offering boring but some games have attracted big viewing figures. Be sure the premiership promoters will learn to adapt the product to cater more to the tv audience. Any success in this direction will reduce interest in lower division football and reduce interest in providing help lower down. Why is the EFL not talking openly about the game at our level and the serious problems it faces. We are keeping our heads down, quietly thanking our chairman for doing the same and hoping for the best. There are clubs in worse positions than ours and one wonders how long some can keep trading. I know we discussed the possiblity of major changes to our competition at the start of the pandemic but that might be even more likely if we don't get any steer from the EFL.

I don't think the reduced attendance issue will affect us too badly. We have them every week.

Priestfields holds about 11,500

at 50% we are good for nearly 6,000 which we do not get for typical league games.

Even at 33% we are good for around 4,000 which covers every ST holder (we should be a priority) . Common sense we need to ban away fans and utilise all four stands for home supporters. The "open air" town end might be a godsend as perhaps we could but high percentages in there. Weather should be OK for the first couple of months

The big issue is Gills actually organising this. Remember we don't always get ST out for the first game in normal times and the backroom staff are presumably on furlough.

My suggestion would be to say your ST allows entry into a stand but no particular seat. Put red Xs on the seats that cannot be sat in and then let people sit in any other seat.

Keep it simple Gills, keep it simple.

I pity the stewards I really do.

I don't think the reduced attendance issue will affect us too badly. We have them every week.

at 50% we are good for nearly 6,000 which we do not get for typical league games.

Even at 33% we are good for around 4,000 which covers every ST holder (we should be a priority) . Common sense we need to ban away fans and utilise all four stands for home supporters. The "open air" town end might be a godsend as perhaps we could but high percentages in there. Weather should be OK for the first couple of months

The big issue is Gills actually organising this. Remember we don't always get ST out for the first game in normal times and the backroom staff are presumably on furlough.

My suggestion would be to say your ST allows entry into a stand but no particular seat. Put red Xs on the seats that cannot be sat in and then let people sit in any other seat.

Excellent common-sense post.

On a selfish note, I have long wanted general admittance to a particular stand with no allocated seating. Makes it so much simpler to bring last minute guests or at the very least, have a bit of week-to-week variety. Can be difficult to steward in its own right though. As you say, stewarding is going to be a nightmare. How much do those poor souls get paid?

Recent reports suggest percentages lower than 33% and posters have raised the issue of away fans. If they are excluded the numbers drop. If they are not we need to steward all four sides and incur further costs. We were struggling on crowds averaging 5,000 odd and don't forget that we will not be bailed out by bumper crowds for big clubs and derbies.

If we returned with 33% attendance then that would be little over 3500, assuming the whole ground opens. How many will want to come back given that so many of our fans are past retirement age? I fully understand Scally's reticence over contracts and opening up. Restart at half cock and many clubs would swiftly go bust.

I need to get out of a row...I can walk past the seats with an X on it, but you are blocking my way out and I cant get past you without breaking the distancing!

The demographic is an issue. How important is going to gills v risk for these people. Individual decisions.

I hope the authorities aren't too OTT with this. Visit a beach or pub beer garden the social distancing is minimal.

I think masks should be mandated at football stadiuns (little earner for the shop) and we should be fine with 33%-50% capacity.

Its all about risk and perhaps the vulnerable should consider Iplayer for a bit.

I need to get out of a row...I can walk past the seats with an X on it, but you are blocking my way out and I cant get past you without breaking the distancing!

Same as in a pub or shop or anywhere else in life.

We need to both wear masks and please don't stop for a chat as you pass me.

Excellent common-sense post.

On a selfish note, I have long wanted general admittance to a particular stand with no allocated seating. Makes it so much simpler to bring last minute guests or at the very least, have a bit of week-to-week variety. Can be difficult to steward in its own right though. As you say, stewarding is going to be a nightmare. How much do those poor souls get paid?
Once they've passed their NVQ2 £7.50 ph. Supervisors get more. Game day is 4 hours work so £30. Worth remembering when people are slagging them off as without them the ground can't open.

Distance is not the only criteria.
Time, breathing rate and touching too.

If we have to wear a mask for 10 minutes in a shop - or on the train - surely we will be expected to wear a mask for a couple of hours at football.

How hard is it to pass someone back to (masked) face anyway - especially if alternate seats are used ?

Let's be positive chaps !

Once they've passed their NVQ2 £7.50 ph. Supervisors get more. Game day is 4 hours work so £30. Worth remembering when people are slagging them off as without them the ground can't open.

The wages for a steward has gone up £10 since I did it between 2000 and 2002! To be fair though I was on gate 8 (fire exit) at the back of the Gordon Road Stand and could watch the football!

Leave every other row empty, leave every other seat empty on the in use rows.
you would have no one either side of you, no one directly in front or behind you.
The empty row could be used for those needing the loo, to avoid brushing past people.
this would allow 25% attendance,

Leave every other row empty, leave every other seat empty on the in use rows.
you would have no one either side of you, no one directly in front or behind you.
The empty row could be used for those needing the loo, to avoid brushing past people.
this would allow 25% attendance,

Is that too low to make it financially workable. Just under 3000 for us.

Need to bring staff off Furlough and matchday costs.

Is it actually worth it financially. Would it make more sense to play behind closed doors and save on the running costs. I guess that's the dilemma.

Was hoping the only good to come from this was that they'd scrap the EFL Trophy to save fixture congestion.
Given the financial problems having a lot of trophy fixtures when clubs can't sell many tickets anyway might make a lot of sense. It would open up more evening dates .It would also mean two clubs could have the benefit possibly of a big pay day later in the season. I would definitely settle for survival staying up and winning the trophy right now.Thus hopefully helping to fund a better side for the following season.

Its really not that simple though when you think about it in any level of detail. Its easy to make flippant suggestions on social media and claim its easy but they simply dont stand up to scrutiny.

Its worth noting first that 2m means every direction. So actually the maths doesnt work as youve suggested, each person takes up probably about 9 seats.

Then you have to consider getting people in and out of the stadium.

Also, how do you deal with people going to toilet mid game? They will still have to pass by many others very closely in rows. It would actually be far easier if we had terracing as the rows really restrict things, but we dont.

I dont think the concept of above will work though anyway, as households will want to sit next to one another. I wouldnt want to sit 2m from my 6 year old son, for example.

No one would want to go to football and sit miles from ANYONE. So then the 'sit by yourself anywhere' plan just doesnt work.

Next you'll be suggesting we let the oiks of gillingham use their common sense and sit only with their family, or one other household.