What it's like to be British | Vital Football

What it's like to be British

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
quite like these!

What it's like to be British
• Worrying you’ve accidentally packed 3 kilos of cocaine and a dead goat as you stroll through “Nothing to declare”
• Being unable to stand and leave without first saying “right”
• Saying “anywhere here’s fine” when the taxi’s directly outside your front door
• Repeatedly pressing the door button on the train before it’s illuminated, to assure your fellow commuters you have the situation in hand
• The huge sense of relief after your perfectly valid train ticket is accepted by the inspector
• “Sorry, is anyone sitting here?” – Translation: Unless this is a person who looks remarkably like a bag, I suggest you move it
• Loudly tapping your fingers at the cashpoint, to assure the queue that you’ve asked for money and the wait is out of your hands
• Watching with quiet sorrow as you receive a different haircut to the one you requested
• Being unable to pay for something with the exact change without saying “I think that’s right”
• Deeming it necessary to do a little jog over zebra crossings, while throwing in an apologetic mini wave
• Punishing people who don’t say thank you by saying “you’re welcome” as quietly as possible
• Turning down a cup of tea for no reason and instantly knowing you’ve made a terrible, terrible mistake
• Hearing a recording of your own voice and deciding it’s perhaps best never to speak again

There is a biggie missing: that is people always saying sorry. Being a mobility scooter user when I have to ask people to let me through (frequently in York)

Everytime get ''Oh sorry'' to which I am a stuck gramophone record of ''You didn't know I was behind you. It's OK. Thats why I said excuse me''

Yes also what Deano said about being embarrassing. I was explaining it all as best as to our daughter and one of our sons who live abroad. They are like ''what really?''

They are totally bemused about it all and don't understand why we are leaving, as they can't see the benefits, to which I replied ''neither do millions of us hence the petition and all else we are doing''

As a non-Brit I can definitely relate to that list. Pretty much the same in Ireland.

What is the whole "sorry" thing about anyway? I can't ask a stranger anything without beginning with "Sorry, ...."

So!
When asked a question saying "Yes, No".
When given some bad news saying,
"No, you're joking."

Agree on the sorry. The amount of people over the years that have apologised to me when I've said I have a brain condition, I feel like telling them don't apologise unless it is their fault and if it their fault RUN !

As a non-Brit I can definitely relate to that list. Pretty much the same in Ireland.

What is the whole "sorry" thing about anyway? I can't ask a stranger anything without beginning with "Sorry, ...."

I made it a conscious effort to stop saying sorry when there was no need to and what I have found is I now automatically think people are thinking I am prick in their heads in those situations.

I've tried replacing the other situations with excuse me too - rather than 'sorry' its 'excuse me can you help me with X'.

I made it a conscious effort to stop saying sorry when there was no need to and what I have found is I now automatically think people are thinking I am prick in their heads in those situations.

I've tried replacing the other situations with excuse me too - rather than 'sorry' its 'excuse me can you help me with X'.

Yeah, I'd probably think you're a prick too CDX.

"Excuse me?" Who does this prick think he is and what the fuck does he want, lol

Personally, I'm a little bit disappointed in those Vital Villans who believe it is acceptable to ridicule those of us who are follically challenged. Do you think we choose to look like this:clown:.

Very un- British if you ask me.:yes:

It's jealousy, isn't it?
People like Fear, Deano, Villan of the North, you and I can't help it if we have an over-supply of testosterone.

If its helpful I am not folically challenged! I have very long hair now. It is now more than half way down my back

It's jealousy, isn't it?
People like Fear, Deano, Villan of the North, you and I can't help it if we have an over-supply of testosterone.

Still having a decent head of hair having not gone the way of father and brother (yet) I can confirm I am not jealous of baldies. In fact I feel sorry for them and their slap head chrome domes.:rofl: