What Is The Funniest Chant You Have Heard At A Football Match? | Vital Football

What Is The Funniest Chant You Have Heard At A Football Match?

I would have enjoyed a chant at Meadow Lane following Mr Hardys bath time picture of “You can shove your fluffing pneis up your arse...!”

Not sure "funny" is the right word but for me it was a pre-season friendly at Boston Utd in 2011 where some Boston fans were chanting "Steve Tilson football genius"

Not an imps game, but in the away end at Forest vs Bolton a few years ago when Bolton were being hopelessly outplayed - "let's pretend we scored a goal", followed by wild celebrations as if they'd just scored a worldie :wahey:everybody joined in, it was amazing!

19 March 1985 we lost 1-0 away to Hull City at Boothferry Park. They were near the top we were near the bottom. We shared that side terrace under the cover and after they scored (they won 1-0) all the Hull fans looking through the fences at us started singing "Lincoln Lincoln give us a song" we all sang back to them "You're going up you're going up we're not we're not".

They all started laughing and applauding us (they went up we didn't but we didn't go down either that season)

Not a chant I heard - in fact, not a chant at all - but some brave travelling soul once went to watch Tirana FC many moons ago. Thinking they were probably the only English person there (Albania wasn't much visited at the time!) they were surprised to hear half-way through the match someone shout "You're worse than Crystal Palace!" in excellent English.

"And it's Grimsby Town, Grimsby Town FC:
we're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen."

Sung at Peterborough to the tune of Hall & Oates 'Man Eater' during the Keith era. Allegedly directed at a certain Posh manager:-
'Whoa whoa here he comes, watch out girls he'll beat you up. Whoa whoa here he comes, he's a wife beater'. I like to think that such public shaming had him thoroughly squirming in his seat.
I also enjoyed 617 response to Coventry fans singing 'One nil up, you f***** it up' after they had turned the game around at our place a couple of seasons ago:-
"Premier League, you f***** it up"
"Championship you f***** it up"
"Then league One, you f***** it up".

In fairness the chant has come a long way since the intellectual gems of the 1970's - "(insert name of opponents star player) is a moron", to the tune of Jilted John and who can forget the complexity and brilliance of "You're going to get your f****** heads kicked in". I like to think the sophisticated elite of The St. Andrews Stand of that era sang the classier, "You're going home in a Lincoln ambulance" rather than the vulgar former. A nod to the musical revolution of "Big fat Yorkshire Barstewards" which was a seminal moment in the football chant and must surely be up there with "In your Liverpool slums" as the point at which we can trace back to the dawn of the modern high brow industry standard offerings we hear today.

Again, not a chant, but heard at SB sometime when the West Bank was still a terrace and we'd just thumped someone 4-1: "You've all done very well!"

One for "Are You Being Served?" fans. ;)

Has to be the chant at Dagenham and Redbridge around 2004/2005 when the home fans started chanting "We hate Boston more than you, we hate Bo-oston more than you!" referencing certain 'brown envelopes.'

Another memorable one was when we beat Posh at home on Easter Saturday back in 1998 and when we were 3-0 up, Imps fans sang to Barry Fry "you're getting sacked in the morning, sacked in the morning" etc. only for the Posh fans to join in!