What is going on? | Page 4 | Vital Football

What is going on?

I think a couple of Parker's headed goals came from Eaves' assists - how does that work?

Well it works in the same way as if anyone else had created the chance. And in those cases Eaves was out wide and he crossed the ball into the box. Since Parker got his head on the end of the cross and headed the ball into the back of the net then Eaves would be credited with an assist. An "assist" is a way of giving acknowledgement to the person deemed to have created the chance.

Do you not know how assists work?

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're unique, but I would say they're the exception rather than the rule but one thing is for sure they're inconsistent in performance, something indicative of a lower League player. They've both had a good few months during this season, but as for them doing it consistently only time will tell so I wouldn't be offering either of them a 5 year contract on what I've seen this season. How many players (especially strikers have we had come in over the years who haven't cut it coming from a lower division. According to SL (and Kettners with his thread on it) we have been putting decent balls into the box recently (crosses that he was quoted as saying he'd have loved as a striker) but no-one has been on the end of them. I wish it was all as simple as you make it sound, Parkers individual performances recently have been toilet ( and he's by no means alone in that) but I'm still not convinced that either Eaves or Parker will replicate their scoring form of this season again next season regardless of chances created, but that's just a hunch. Eaves has done well this season and better than I expected (Parker to) but he's a nuisance rather than a quality finisher/ regular 20 goals a season striker IMO. They've also both had games and runs of games where they've shown exactly why they've come from league two (poor touches, no vision, poor passes etc). If Eaves (or Parker for that matter) turns out to be a consistent goalscorer at this level he won't be here long, because someone else will pay him more.

Eaves has missed as many chances with his head as he's scored this season, but IMO the bigger picture is trying to get better quality into the squad/team all over the pitch, but that requires investment. Players playing at any level are usually there for a reason, because its their level with the odd exception, the odd exception then get plucked to play at a higher level and that applies to a player playing any position from goalkeeper to striker.

Last edited:
Eaves is on record as saying that he felt this season was a restart of his career. He felt that injuries and lack of games had never allowed him to show what he could do. Parker has also stated that he has never actually had a proper crack at league football. Good scouting on our part and good coaching to bring them on, the latter has been evident for all to see.

No evidence whatever that there are dozens of underperforming league 2 strikers ready to score 15 goals a season in league one if given the chance and chances. I repeat check the goalrush on channel 5 and you will see chances being spurned left right and centre by league 2 strikers. Most of them just aren't good enough to do any better. As you move up the leagues the strike rate gets better. Really, really good strikers can play for 89 minutes without a sniff and then put away a half chance. We don't see their kind at Priestfield.

No evidence whatever that there are dozens of underperforming league 2 strikers ready to score 15 goals a season in league one if given the chance and chances. I repeat check the goalrush on channel 5 and you will see chances being spurned left right and centre by league 2 strikers.

You also see bad misses in league one and the Championship although not everyone missing might be considered strikers.

Do you consider Tom Eaves to be a league one or league two striker? If the former then what percentage of chances does he miss?

It is difficult to be able to prove how many strikers currently playing in league 2 could step up successfully into league one as most won't get the chance.

You also see bad misses in league one and the Championship although not everyone missing might be considered strikers.

Do you consider Tom Eaves to be a league one or league two striker? If the former then what percentage of chances does he miss?

It is difficult to be able to prove how many strikers currently playing in league 2 could step up successfully into league one as most won't get the chance.
You come up with a load of bollux then answer your own question

I’m interested as to where the ceiling is for all these league 2 players. Eaves has scored double figures for us but using Baghdad’s theory means that with the right service he’d get even more in the championship. Then more again in the premier league.

Can’t wait to see all these untapped league 2 players in the World Cup finals in 4 years time!

:rofl:

I’m interested as to where the ceiling is for all these league 2 players. Eaves has scored double figures for us but using Baghdad’s theory means that with the right service he’d get even more in the championship. Then more again in the premier league.

Can’t wait to see all these untapped league 2 players in the World Cup finals in 4 years time!

:rofl:

I think a striker considered a league two player could with the right service provide a decent return of goals in league one, but the jump to the championship one too far.

I think a striker considered a league one striker could with the right service give a decent amount of goals in the Championship but no higher.

A striker who is considered average for the Blue Sky Bet or whatever it is called could step up to league two with the right service. League one? Nah.

Generally a striker could give a good return in the next league up if in the right team that provides sufficient chances.

The biggest problem for the future with Eaves has to be the fact that he is clearly worth a lot more now to the team than the peanuts we are almost certainly paying him .He would have been on very low wages at Yeovil and almost certainly we would not have spent big to get him .That being the case like with Holy if we want to get the best out of him we will have to give him a new contract .With Dack we let him stay on a reasonably low wage until he got to the point where he just wanted out . Scally has done it over and over if we are going to move forward we have to start awarding new deals when they are deserved not waiting till it is too late .
I am sure I wasn't the only one. My point on the other thread stands.