What do you miss? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What do you miss?

That amazing league season when we were spoilt for life.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/lincoln-city/1975-1976

Unbeaten at home
Failed to score at home only once
71 league goals scored at Sincil Bank (plus 40 away)
19 clean sheets

berksimps - 30/5/2016 18:06

That amazing league season when we were spoilt for life.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/lincoln-city/1975-1976

Unbeaten at home
Failed to score at home only once
71 league goals scored at Sincil Bank (plus 40 away)
19 clean sheets

We finished top against three current Premier League sides, that season. Our most memorable season although Murphy's team of the early eighties was better, in my opinion.

1) Playing home games on a Wednesday night at 7:30

2) Keith Alexander

3) Winning more than half our home games

4) All of the BIG Cup games like; Newcastle Utd.; Sunderland (twice); Derby County (twice); Stoke City; West Ham Utd.; Tottenham Hotspur; Southampton; Birmingham City; Fulham; Everton; Manchester City; Nottingham Forest.

5) Great away wins like; Walsall (FA Cup) 2-3; Mansfield Town 2-4; Barnet 0-5, 2-3 etc.; Carlisle 0-2; Grimsby 2-4; Peterborough Utd. (Amoo's on fire!); York City 1-4; Swindon Town 0-1 (top of the League!); and so many more.

6) BIG Perce.

7) Roger Holmes

8) Doreen's cheese 'n onion rolls!

That's enough to be going on with.

Being disappointed because we suffered a rare defeat to Burnley.

Or Swansea.

Or Bournemouth.

Or Hull.

Impalex - 31/5/2016 08:13

2) Keith Alexander

4) All of the BIG Cup games like; Newcastle Utd.; Sunderland (twice); Derby County (twice); Stoke City; West Ham Utd.; Tottenham Hotspur; Southampton; Birmingham City; Fulham; Everton; Manchester City; Nottingham Forest.

5) Great away wins like; Walsall (FA Cup) 2-3; Mansfield Town 2-4; Barnet 0-5, 2-3 etc.; Carlisle 0-2; Grimsby 2-4; Peterborough Utd. (Amoo's on fire!); York City 1-4; Swindon Town 0-1 (top of the League!); and so many more.

6) BIG Perce.

7) Roger Holmes

There are some classic memories there. Roger Holmes -my first hero and Percy my all time hero. Electric atmosphere for many of those cup encounters.

Ex-Ref - 1/6/2016 04:51

Impalex - 31/5/2016 08:13

2) Keith Alexander

6) BIG Perce.

7) Roger Holmes

There are some classic memories there. Roger Holmes -my first hero and Percy my all time hero. Electric atmosphere for many of those cup encounters.

You and I share first and all-time heroes. The 'crack' when Holmes had his leg broken could be clearly heard around the stadium.

Yes Holmes and Big Perce were my two all time heroes as well, yes Holmes broke his leg against York City in October 68 never the same player after that.

Miss walking down to the Bank with my late father.
The open terrace used to love standing there watching a game.
The big league cup games we used to have
The local derbies against teams like Derby and the two Sheffield teams.
Playing Shakespeare sisters record "Stay" every half time back in the nineties.

The steam freight trains that slowed down to get a snatch of the game when they passed SB.

Used to love the open Sinny bank terrace. When they built the Co-op me and my mates went WOW and bought a season ticket. The atmosphere was ruined though and like now all the noise was in a tiny area which doesn't sound that loud if you aren't close. Season after we went in the Stacey West instead. Much more fun.

I also miss being young and single, spending the whole day out drinking with the match as an interlude and then continuing on to pubs followed by clubs (home and away.)

Used to love getting on a Golden Eagle bus at 9 in the morning and then having 3 or more hours to fill in the away town before trying to find our way to their ground.

Decent away followings. Actually wanting to go to games. Apathy reigns for me, although to be fair I can;t get to many games anyway these days! A slight flicker of optimism has been ignited with the new management team but I remain to be convinced!

It is interesting the number of people who miss the open terrace always stood there in fact in all the games I have watched at Sinny Bank I can only remember 2 occasions when I didn't a Sheffield Wednesday game when they were given the whole terrace and a Donny game with my grandfather who we took in the South Park Stand.

It was a great place to watch football and the Co-op stand is not the same!!

Agree with you ! Stood half way up half way along became our meeting point and where we planned the weekend ! At least we don't get wet anymore . UTI.

impsimps - 1/6/2016 18:41

The steam freight trains that slowed down to get a snatch of the game when they passed SB.

Yep, what memories of those. They always seemed to have to stop and wait a minute or two at the same place each time, just behind the Railway End (aka The Shed End and, later, The Clanford End).